Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
If anyone has views on this it would be helpful for people considering Takumar versus K purchases - as there are lots of gems in both series.
I have the late model SMC Tak 55 and the K55. I don't see any difference between the 2 except that the Tak might render colors warmer.

09-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Look for it attached to old Spotmatic bodies. Sellers on evilBay over price it when trying to sell to Canon & M4/3 users. US prices are usually less than $50, it might not be possible to get it at those prices in the Philippines though...
+1. Mine came on a SP500 with a corroded battery compartment. The lens was immaculate!
09-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Here's the 1.8 version for $35 (same lens, different aperture)

Pentax Super Takumar 55 mm F 1 8 Lens w Original Hood Pentax Filter | eBay

Just search ebay for Pentax 55mm, there are many more
09-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I've had great experiences with short focal length Lentar and Yashica lenses, up to normal 50mm lengths.
A lot of Lentar stuff is Tokina, so it can be found in other brands as well. I have a Lentar branded 21mm f3.8 and a Bushnell branded 35mm f2.8 that are Tokina made and pretty good. The 35mm is common and cheap in many brands, but the 21mm seems to sell for a decent amount. You can commonly find Tokina stuff under Vivitar (serial number starting with 37), Asanuma, Bushnell, Lentar, Soligor and others.

Yashica stuff can be great as well, though I was not impressed with the DS 50mm f1.9, the DX 50mm f1.7 is nice wide open (my only choice, stuck aperture). A lot of it was made by Tomioka. I have a Mamiya-Sekor (another good brand to look for) 60mm f2.8 macro made by them and was also sold as a Yashinon, but it is far from an unknown gem, it has a good reputation and the price to go with it.

Fujinon stuff can be nice as well, I have a 55mm f1.8 (non-EBC) that I like a lot.

09-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any of the 50mm macro lenses are fantastic, and offer great IQ for the price. You can get an M 50/4 macro for under or about $100, and an autofocus F or FA 50mm f/2.8 for $250 or so. 50mm is no man's land for macro, not really long but not normal either on APS-C. Great for people pictures, though. Of course, so are the Taks and M50/1.7 as mentioned above. And for AF there is also the F 35-70, a nice compact little lens with very good IQ.
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Yes, this is a very good point. But is it correct that the K28mm is exactly the same as the S-M-C except for the coatings? I've read different views about this....(I have the last version SMC Takumar 55mm - with the plastic focus ring - and the first version K55mm as well, and they definitely deliver different results, plus the K55mm is a bigger overall package because of the K mount, but the IQ differences could be down to sample variations...).

If anyone has views on this it would be helpful for people considering Takumar versus K purchases - as there are lots of gems in both series.
The coatings on the SMC K series lenses and the SMC Takumars are the same, however the K Series has the SMC coatings on all glass surfaces which the Taks don’t.

The K Series also have a better minimum aperture and of course the 52mm filter thread.

My hidden gem would be the K35/3.5. A small super sharp lens at a decent price, though they have gone up in price over the last few years and are harder to find

Phil.
09-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
A lot of Lentar stuff is Tokina, so it can be found in other brands as well. I have a Lentar branded 21mm f3.8 and a Bushnell branded 35mm f2.8 that are Tokina made and pretty good. The 35mm is common and cheap in many brands, but the 21mm seems to sell for a decent amount. You can commonly find Tokina stuff under Vivitar (serial number starting with 37), Asanuma, Bushnell, Lentar, Soligor and others.

Yashica stuff can be great as well, though I was not impressed with the DS 50mm f1.9, the DX 50mm f1.7 is nice wide open (my only choice, stuck aperture). A lot of it was made by Tomioka. I have a Mamiya-Sekor (another good brand to look for) 60mm f2.8 macro made by them and was also sold as a Yashinon, but it is far from an unknown gem, it has a good reputation and the price to go with it.

Fujinon stuff can be nice as well, I have a 55mm f1.8 (non-EBC) that I like a lot.
I bought a Bushnell 135mm from a fellow forum member and the lens was OK. It was decently sharp but the colors and contrast needed some help in post processing.

My personal experience with Yashica comes from their DS-M lenses and their Yashikor lenses. The DS-M line was seemingly their latest and they were multi-coated (hence, the M designation). Good color and contrast! I have a 28mm Yashikor lens that is plenty sharp and decent color rendition. Mine has some fungus in it so I am looking for a replacement. Prices tend to be steep for that line of M42 lenses. I originally got mine in a package deal with a film camera as a birthday present.
09-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I bought a Bushnell 135mm from a fellow forum member and the lens was OK. It was decently sharp but the colors and contrast needed some help in post processing.
I've heard the Tokina made 135mm is pretty unremarkable, but never had one. In the case of Vivitar, the Komine made 135mm (serial number beginning in 28) is the preferred one, especially if you can find a close focus one.

The colors of my 35mm Tokina made Bushnell are great though, very good contrast. The only gripe I have with it is the flare, the aperture blades are a weird shape and produce circular saw shaped ghosting in harsh light when stopped down, that is the main reason I use the Pentax M 35mm more often.

09-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The colors of my 35mm Tokina made Bushnell are great though, very good contrast. The only gripe I have with it is the flare, the aperture blades are a weird shape and produce circular saw shaped ghosting in harsh light when stopped down, that is the main reason I use the Pentax M 35mm more often.
Yes, my Lentar 35mn has the same aperture blade system. The effect is unique to say the least.
09-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
dms
Site Supporter

I have the super takumar 28mm f3.5 and like it a lot, and it works great in AV mode (zone focused w/ aperture already closed down)--but I believe it is not correct that the Takumar (super or smc) and K are same optically. It is the 35mm 3.5 that is unchanged in going to K lens.
09-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But a PKA adapter can cost twice that (or more).
That's why I use a PK adapter on mine. :-)
09-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I was at a wedding last weekend with my K30 and the A50/1.7. No flash.
Compared to the Nikon at our table with a mortar gun attached the A50 was really hidden.
I got nice pics at ISO3200 and 1600 at a shutter speed on 1/15 when there was little movement.
The A50/1.7 is really a gem, but the prices have gone up recently. I do have the M50/1.7 as well but it sees much less time on my cameras.

Seb.
09-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #28

Two Pentax A series lenses that are often available for low prices are the A 50mm f1.4 and the A 135mm f2.8 - both excellent quality. The A 50mm f1.4 can often be had for under 100 over here in the UK, and the A 135mm f2.8 varies greatly (I missed one at 65 a few weeks ago) but again often under the hundred
09-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Here's the 1.8 version for $35
I've just been given a Spotmatic with Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8, both in excellent condition. I'm currently waiting on my cheap K mount adaptor to arrive.
How does the f1.8 compare to the apparently brilliant f2 version?

Regards
09-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
How does the f1.8 compare to the apparently brilliant f2 version?
I've heard that they are identical, they just limited the aperture to f2 and sold it at a lower price.