Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I've heard that they are identical, they just limited the aperture to f2 and sold it at a lower price.
Exactly - there's an extra thin metal mask in the F2 version that makes it F2 at the widest aperture - all the other aperture settings are identical between the two versions. In principal you could remove this mask if you want, but the lens is typically so good at f2 that I'd rather not risk misaligning anything in mine when making the modification.

09-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Yes, this is a very good point. But is it correct that the K28mm is exactly the same as the S-M-C except for the coatings? I've read different views about this....(I have the last version SMC Takumar 55mm - with the plastic focus ring - and the first version K55mm as well, and they definitely deliver different results, plus the K55mm is a bigger overall package because of the K mount, but the IQ differences could be down to sample variations...).

If anyone has views on this it would be helpful for people considering Takumar versus K purchases - as there are lots of gems in both series.
Sorry, but K 28 f/3,5 is not the same optically that Takumar ( Auto or SMC ) 28 f/3,5 . The K 28 f/3,5 has 8 elements while the Takumar has only 7 elements.
09-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sigma 75-200 AF 3.8
an all metal small and quality AF tele zoom. and its rather fast and cheap!
09-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #34

I've used Takumars and other legacy lenses on my K-01 for a while. But when it comes to hidden gem, DA 40mm XS hands down is hiding in plain sight. I've seen used copy going for $150. Insanely low for such a gem.
At first I didn't like it for portrait, but later found out the reason is that it's too sharp and contrasty. So if you're going for the gritty/grim looks then it's perfect, otherwise just a bit of post processing and everything is nice again.

10-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
Exactly - there's an extra thin metal mask in the F2 version that makes it F2 at the widest aperture - all the other aperture settings are identical between the two versions. In principal you could remove this mask if you want, but the lens is typically so good at f2 that I'd rather not risk misaligning anything in mine when making the modification.
It looks like you could remove the restriction but the part is integral to the rest of the lens. The only option is to widen the hole in that part, a bad idea IMO.

Look at it as a feature instead, which makes the lens better at f2. The lens is slightly stopped down because it's really f1.8, so its sharpness and contrast are improved a bit. But it's better than the f1.8 version, because the aperture shape is completely circular. With the f1.8 version, you'd have a hexagon shaped aperture.