Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #1

Is there any chance for T/S wide

there are rumors about feature that will produce 40 MP images with shifting sensor so we will maybe get machine that is part in medium format territory, one of primary use of MF is architectural photography that demands use of T/S lenses, so is there any chance to someone make 16mm apsc T/S lens, just to get straight vertical lines from 24mm equivalent lens.

09-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax never actually made any T/S lenses - only shift lenses have ever been made by Pentax - Schneider makes* a 28mm T/S lens but it carries a considerable price tag.

* I haven't seen may images taken with this lens on pentax DSLR cameras, which suggests to me that demand wasn't high enough for production to go ahead for Pentax K mount.
09-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
maybe then used 5d mk2 and samyang 24mm t/s would be solution
09-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software solutions are so inexpensive and reasonably effective now, so I wouldn't be surprised if lens makers decide it's less worthwhile to develop. It was always a specialized market, and now even more so. For those who really need or prefer the 'classic' method that must be frustrating.

09-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Software solutions are so inexpensive and reasonably effective now, so I wouldn't be surprised if lens makers decide it's less worthwhile to develop. It was always a specialized market, and now even more so. For those who really need or prefer the 'classic' method that must be frustrating.
The part at issue here is "reasonably effective". There are always a few purists who will want the highest IQ possible. And why would you even mess with tilt shift if that isn't what you're after?
09-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We dont know enough about the new camera yet. It might be FF, but probably APS-C. It might have 24MP, and it might have that sensor shift technology, but maybe not.
Just keep in mind that very wide T/S lenses are hard to get for any brand. If you really need it, you can look for the threads about T/S solutions, like DIY tilt shift or shift adapters for medium format lenses, etc.
And it might actually be easier to just use focus stacking and other software techniques to achieve effects similar to T/S (especially since T/S these days is marketed as "lens that makes things look miniature", completely ignoring its prime purposes)
09-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
My concern is only about architectural photography , just need straight vertical lines when shooting in narrow streets or rooms, and not to lose part of image or parts of IQ for software corrections that I do now, and real estate will always be area for good money, photographer just need to find contractors, developers or real estate agents to work for.
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Schneider makes a 28mm T/S lens but it carries a considerable price tag. I haven't seen may images taken with this lens on pentax DSLR cameras, which suggests to me that demand wasn't high enough for production to go ahead for Pentax K mount.
From what I can tell, it's basically a T-mount lens,
so would then just be sold with a K-mount adapter.

Schneider 28mm f/2.8 PC Super-Angulon Manual Focus 06-039789NO

09-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
is there any chance to someone make 16mm apsc T/S lens, just to get straight vertical lines from 24mm equivalent lens.
Could you stitch with the Samyang 24mm T/S to build up a 24x36mm image?
09-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
real estate will always be area for good money, photographer just need to find contractors, developers or real estate agents to work for.
I have students that work in this industry - and at least here in Australia, it doesn't pay well...at all. All your work is reduced to a single image, plus your time you get paid for that job...and after that you have to find more work, that often requires traveling to multiple locations and working with less than optimal lighting. If anything I think real estate photographers are masochists. And in any case most real estate agents take photos on point and shoot cameras - and then they enthusiastically display all their photographic blunders for the locals to laugh at.

This is one of my favorite real estate photography bloopers:

They are trying to sell a historic house and they present a photograph of the carpark behind it?

Also on the subject of architectural photography - I use view cameras for that kind of work. I figure if you are going to do a job, do it properly. View cameras can move with such freedom T/S lenses simply cannot compare.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #11

Original Poster

masochistic it is

I try to learn how to shoot wide angles and architecture and is easy to be master in town with 1000 residents, but I would like to learn more and for true master this area and anywhere on net pro photogs say that t/s is muss.
Now i just practicing on houses:
Objekat Alagi?a Polje 5
09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think those photos are pretty good. Only thing I would advise is that you dont need more than one photo of each motif. But you seem to be doing things right - turning on lights, using dynamic range to show some of the view outside the windows, etc. What lens are you using now? I remember some real estate photographers talking about the 14mm Samyang as a budget lens for interiors - of course, its not T/S. And it has some distortion - but for small internet photos, the digital correction shouldnt really affect IQ
09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
I use cheep and, according to reviews, bad tamron 10-24, brought at besenicar btw, but every time I have enough space I use 16-50, realy i don't know why ppl say that tamron or sigma are better than pentax's stellar standard lens.