Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Too much for auto focus motor?

Hello all.

I have a SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6. The lens takes great pictures but is kinda rough when focusing. It is smooth in area's and rough in others when I turn the focus ring. When you manual focus it is annoying and difficult to get an accurate focus. If I use it on auto focus it works fine, but is noisy. I used it like this for about 3 or 4 months, but then I started to worry that I was putting too much stress on the camera's auto focus motor(K100D Super).

Do you think I could damage the focus motor or shorten it's life by using the lens? I really like the lens but don't want to use it if I may damage my camera.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

7.62lew

03-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I also have this lens. First I used with ist DS and it felt pretty safe to use. Noisy and heavy althogh, but with excellent performance. Then my DS passed away and I had to go with the K10D. First time I used the F70-210 with k10d and its powerfull af-motor it felt like the lens would break apart, or atleast when the focusing hits the focus limits. But I have been using it for months now and I doubt it will damage anything inside the camera.

-muus