Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
It's so hard not to plug the DA 70, esp. because the OP didn't mention that as an option. The OP was asking about the 31 and DA*55 specificially. However, the DA 70 is my go-to portrait lens and the DA 40mm (also not mentioned by the OP) is my go-to walk-around/street lens. Either of those are options as well. Heck, you could buy both for the price of the DA*55 alone.

10-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
It's so hard not to plug the DA 70, esp. because the OP didn't mention that as an option. The OP was asking about the 31 and DA*55 specificially. However, the DA 70 is my go-to portrait lens and the DA 40mm (also not mentioned by the OP) is my go-to walk-around/street lens. Either of those are options as well. Heck, you could buy both for the price of the DA*55 alone.
I bought the 70 and 55 for pretty much the same prices used, so that isn't always true.
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #33

Original Poster
I appreciate your input, this will come in handy when I'm looking into what lenses to actually purchase, thanks
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Yes, I think the DA*55 would be too long to get that kind of shot. In that shot, as a viewer, you really feel intimate with the subject, standing right there on the stairs. This is a very well-composed shot, IMO, because it takes advantage of the stairway and handrails and the perspective distortion becomes an element of the composition. If this photo were taken straight on, on level ground, it probably wouldn't be so interesting.

The same effect is sometimes used when photographing models, by taking the shot from low on the ground. This makes a model's legs appear longer.

Getting close and intimate with the subject is one benefit of using a shorter lens, and why many "street" photographers like to use wider lenses -- it makes the viewer feel like he/she is right there.

So, it really depends on what kind of portraits you want to take. If you are looking to capture a more intimate feeling of mingling with your family, the FA31 would definitely work. And while both lenses produce excellent bokeh, the FA31 rendering of skin tones is legendary.

Thanks!! You are helping me lean more toward the 31, I think it is going to work out a little better for what I'm wanting to do, and I just found another gallery online of photos taken with that lens and they are all amazing and I haven't seen much distortion with the images posted, so I think I'm going to take my chances! I know I won't want to send it back, lol! I'll be sure to post some pics I take with it...

10-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

All of the mentioned lenses are really good!

You have to decide what factors are the most important.

size:
smallest 40mm - 70mm - 31mm - 55mm largest

Silent AF:
55mm

Weatherprotection:
55mm

Classics:
31mm - 40mm

Light gathering
55mm - 31mm - 70mm - 40mm

Etc
Just put in more lenses that you are interested in and more categories. And focal length is easy to test with a zoom.
10-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

As has been said, you can get great portraits with any of the lenses mentioned above, and I will mention one more - the 43mm ltd. I find it gives me a lot of flexibility in the type of portrait I want (group, close-up, environmental, etc.).

I do understand your dilemma though - the siren song of the 31 is hard to resist (I eventually succumbed). I will say this though (and be branded forever as a heretic), if I had to give up one of the 77, 43 or 31, I would let the 31 go first because of the people-picture-prowess of the other two (I hope this never happens!).
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
As has been said, you can get great portraits with any of the lenses mentioned above, and I will mention one more - the 43mm ltd. I find it gives me a lot of flexibility in the type of portrait I want (group, close-up, environmental, etc.).

I do understand your dilemma though - the siren song of the 31 is hard to resist (I eventually succumbed). I will say this though (and be branded forever as a heretic), if I had to give up one of the 77, 43 or 31, I would let the 31 go first because of the people-picture-prowess of the other two (I hope this never happens!).

I actually ran across a thread online where people were debating between the 31 and the 43, that one looks pretty nice too I have to agree! I have already rented the 77 a year ago and took some pics of my daughter with it, was definitely a great lens but for some reason my photos were a bit softer than I was wanting with that lens. I am still learning a lot when it comes to how lighting affects the photos, and proper exposure and such, but I remember sending that lens back thinking it was more $$ that what I would be willing to pay for it...

10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I bought the 70 and 55 for pretty much the same prices used, so that isn't always true.
Not to threadjack, but if you purchased the DA*55 for the same price as a DA 70mm Limited, one of us got screwed!
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Not to threadjack, but if you purchased the DA*55 for the same price as a DA 70mm Limited, one of us got screwed!
About 330€ for the 70mm and 360€ for 55mm. That's the Swedish used market.
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laughlady99 Quote
I actually ran across a thread online where people were debating between the 31 and the 43, that one looks pretty nice too I have to agree! I have already rented the 77 a year ago and took some pics of my daughter with it, was definitely a great lens but for some reason my photos were a bit softer than I was wanting with that lens. I am still learning a lot when it comes to how lighting affects the photos, and proper exposure and such, but I remember sending that lens back thinking it was more $$ that what I would be willing to pay for it...
I had the opposite experience with the 77: the first time I used it, it felt exactly right. I had never spent that much money on a lens before, and felt not even a smidgeon of buyers remorse. I had a similar (but not as visceral) experience with the 43 (which came second). I did not have that experience with the 31, though I very much like the character of the pictures I make with it. I think that it is mostly a focal length thing, because all three lenses have magical rendering properties.
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
Forum Member

What about a used Da* 50-135? It's my go to lens for almost all my portraits/weddings. Add in the 16-50 and you have almost everything covered plus weatherproof.

You may need a bit more light being f2.8 compared to f1.4 on the 55, but being able cover 70-200mm roughly with the crop factor is well worth it IMHO.
10-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fred2726 Quote
What about a used Da* 50-135? It's my go to lens for almost all my portraits/weddings. Add in the 16-50 and you have almost everything covered plus weatherproof.

You may need a bit more light being f2.8 compared to f1.4 on the 55, but being able cover 70-200mm roughly with the crop factor is well worth it IMHO.
That is a masterful lens, if tele is wanted!