Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M42 Pentacon Auto 50mm f1.8 MC

Hi,
I have a Pentacon 50 1.8. It gives decent images so I believe it is worth cleaning because there are huge dust particules inside.
The front name tag ring is so stubborn. So I want to enter from the mount. Anyone has any experience? I would appreciate advices.
Murat

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9300  Photo 
10-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I haven't had this particular one apart, but I've had a few similar 50s apart. There is no way to reach the front element from the rear, you can just reach the rear of the element that is in front of the aperture blades.

The aperture is in between the two concave elements.

What have you tried to use to remove the name ring?
10-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
pentacon 50 1,8

I haven't had this particular one apart, but I've had a few similar 50s apart. There is no way to reach the front element from the rear, you can just reach the rear of the element that is in front of the aperture blades.

The aperture is in between the two concave elements.

What have you tried to use to remove the name ring?

I tried with rubber gloves, some lens caps with rubber and a buthtub plug. Its very stubborn.....
10-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What I have had luck with is rubber drawer liner material and some appropriately sized PVC pipe or similar thick wall tube.

Where exactly is the dust, directly behind the front element? If the worst of it is behind the 3rd element then going through the rear is a viable option, though tricky because you'll be removing the aperture.

10-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
What I have had luck with is rubber drawer liner material and some appropriately sized PVC pipe or similar thick wall tube.

Where exactly is the dust, directly behind the front element? If the worst of it is behind the 3rd element then going through the rear is a viable option, though tricky because you'll be removing the aperture.
I said "what the heck" and I opened it from behind.Removed the aperture blades and blew the dust away. Luckily there was nothing between the front elements. I think they were not dust but the metal coating peeled off the metal ring which the aperture blades sit on. Putting the blades wasnt a problem. And the rest of the actual dust was between the rear elements. It was 2 mimutes job to open it with a 10 dollars spenner wrench. And it is just like new now.
I was lucky this time.
Thanks for the feedback anyways.
Murat