Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
filter question

So I just ordered a 'Tiffen 72mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter' from Amazon. Used-Like New condition, for $18 shipped. This seems like a good deal...anything I should be suspicious of? Any simple tests (ie shoot a white piece of paper, etc) to make sure it's not bad?

Also, as I slowly build a collection of lenses and filters, I've been going with 72mm filters because that's my main lens (the sigma). I have step down rings for the two Pentax lenses I have. Is this the best way to do things? Am I going to regret not having separate filters for each lens?

Thanks!

10-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I use step-down on a Sigma 28mm f1.8 with no problem. That's a FF lens, so the K5 doesn't see the perimeter anyway. You'll just want to test for vignetting anyway - if it matters to you for the images you're making. Would you use an ND on both lenses simultaneously, or during the same sessions frequently enough that it's going to be onerous? I'd use one for now - and if it becomes a PITA then get another.
10-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have only one set of ND filters, 49mm, which works with enough of the Pentax primes that I'm OK with it. I have 77mm and 67mm polarizers for the 16-50 and 60-250 as I don't like swapping filters on the run. Obviously I don't use the ND's on the big lenses but using the ND's I'm on a tripod anyway so using a manual prime is not an issue.

What you are doing is just fine, should not be any issue using step down rings.
10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have two 'Tiffens. Both are the Haze 1 (different sizes). While they work just fine, I prefer to use a petal shaped lens hood. While there is nothing wrong with a filter, it can cause vignetting. On some occasions I have forgotten to remove the filter which greatly vignettes the photo.

10-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The only problem you may find with using step-up rings in lieu of different size filters is that the original hoods don't fit.

If you don't use a hood on the smaller lenses = no problem.
Alternately, you can get a cheap screw-in hood that suits the filters.

Enjoy your new filter