Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

HD DA 15 limited

When will the Actual review of the new HD DA 15mm limited comes out? or is out already? with pictures and so forth.- is it worth $50-100 dollar more? and does it improve on the da 15mm on every aspect? are the da 15mm strength carry over to the hd version?, i.e: starburst,flare resistance... I would assume you will benefit more on video but no difference in picture quality out of the box or post processing?

-thanks

10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not released yet, so no reviews. So no answers to your questions yet.
10-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ejaedon Quote
... I would assume you will benefit more on video but no difference in picture quality out of the box or post processing?
The use of the term "HD" on these lenses might imply a video application, but this is simply a marketing term. These lenses aren't specifically intended for video use.

What is commonly referred to as "HD video" is only 1920 x 1080, or 2.1 Megapixels. So as far as resolving power, it is unlikely you will notice any improvement, compared to 16 Mp stills, or stills from whatever sensor may be coming up in the near future.

As far as flare resistance, transmittance, etc, it should help both video and stills. Note that the SMC DA15 Ltd is already so good, it's questionable how much improvement you will notice.
10-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I just wonder -- since the 15mm limited makes such lovely sunstar images now -- will changing to curved blades ruin that at the same time it's making the bokeh "creamier"?

10-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually, the black versions of all five of the HD Limiteds have been in the stores for two weeks in Japan now. The silver ones are going to be available towards the end of October. I haven't seen many sample pictures yet, because the Japanese don't use Flickr much, but CD Watch published a review of the 15mm today. Here is the link.

Interchangeable lens Stock Gallery: HD PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited - digital camera Watch

You can try your luck with the translation, but what I got from it was that the starburst effect is still there but milder because of the rounded aperture. Also that its performance in low light is better. Hope it helps a bit.

I'm in the market for the 70mm at the moment and I'm leaning towards getting the SMC one, but I don't doubt that the new coating is an improvement. However, noone was complaining about the old ones and I'm sure I'd be satisfied with either.

By the way, the packaging of the HD lenses and the new flashes looks really smart compared to that horrible glowing green lettering on the old DA boxes. It's grey with a big white K in the background a photo of the lens.
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
I guess it's just a total repackaging promotion with a minor upgrade with the coating- it's just like from k5 to k5ii/s upgrade... not sure why pentax always in this cycle of minor upgrades. hope they would drop the price of the DAs and that would definitely get the DA instead if there's no major difference. if da 15mm is already so good- it just make sense how much better can it go except probably the looks and coating.. thanks everyone
10-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the newer additions will be pretty important for the longer focal length limiteds (DA40 and DA70) and the DA35 macro. I don't think they will do much for the 15 or 21.
02-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Sorry to resurrect this thread if there are other that cover it - I couldn't find any. I'm very very curious how the HD version of this compares to the SMC as the OP wondered. Are there folks with comparison shots out there and direct experience with both????

02-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Adam did a comparison of the HD and SMC DA Limiteds.

The only one that he thinks is better in the SMC version is the 15, because of the starbursts that aren't nearly as nice with the HD version, and he thinks that the improvement of the HD coating on that lens isn't that big. On others the HD and rounded blades really improved the lenses.

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
02-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Sorry to resurrect this thread if there are other that cover it - I couldn't find any. I'm very very curious how the HD version of this compares to the SMC as the OP wondered. Are there folks with comparison shots out there and direct experience with both????
I think basically, star bursts aren't as nice with the HD version because of the rounded aperture blades and it is hard to tell that there is a whole lot more flare resistance. Standard DA 15 limited is better in my opinion, particularly because it isn't a lens where you normally see a whole lot of bokeh (the only benefit of rounded aperture blades).
02-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I caught Adam's write (great as usual) but am curious if there's anyone else out there with comparison shots. Would really like to see the starburst comparison at f8 or beyond.
02-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #12

I think by most accounts, the HD coating is nice, but not needed yet