Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
All are good options. I have Super Tak 1.4, M 50 1.4 and A 50 f1.4. For my use heres what I find:
* Super Tak: Lovely build, smoothest Bokeh (I think). Fully manual and sensitive to bright light - needs a good hood!
This point makes the greatest difference to me - that smoothness indeed have astonished me and got me really thinking about it. Possible that this is my top option for the time being indeed

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
* A 50 f1.4 Average build,
I am a bit concerned with this one - build quality is an important thing to me. Not like I am dropping things but I like my lenses to last and the feel of Takumar was fantastic. Smoothness not only in boleh but also in all the operations mmmm.

Thanks for all the good and valid points with other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Sounds like you like the Super Tak, go with your heart!
There is something about that I reckon .. as I mention above Super Takumar gets on top of the list.

Thanks!

10-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
There is one for sale right now in the Marketplace. Act fast or it'll be gone.
He he thanks! But still got to get my shopping list right before I go and shell out the actual cash. Plus I would always prefer to check local cash converters and camera stores before I go to shop online - always a chance I might get it there ( as I had two of my lenses from these places for reasonable money).
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I love my M 50mm f/1.4. Small, handy, works wonders in the dark, and I snared the thing for less than any of my 50mm f/1.7's or even the 2.0's.
Lucky you !

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I love feel of M version so I use it more compared to A version. Another lens to consider in this range is 55/1.8
Yeah sounds like the build quality is an issue with A compared to M. 55 1.8 sounds great but I specifically am looking for something in 1.4 range.

Thanks!
10-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys thanks for all the great info.
Still thinking about those 55 1.4 - I know this 5mm doesn't make much of a difference but for the bokeh wouldn't that possible be a bit smoother - even more smoother than 50 1.4 Super Tak perhaps??
Any chance that someone might have both and would post some samples from quick indoor snaps at 1.4?

THanks!
10-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Yeah sounds like the build quality is an issue with A compared to M.
btw, build quality of 'A' is pretty good, better than FA lenses IMHO. I have FA50 too (I love 50mm), however I use FA50 only for AF need.

10-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Jeez you have 'a couple' of 55 1.4 ?? So what do they do - grow nearby ? :O
But seriously did you ever done any comparison between all your 50-55 1. 4 ? Sounds like you have quite a few of them so would be great if you could put some samples in this thread !

Thanks!
I probably should but the way I like to do it takes some effort. I have an Auto-Takumar 55/1.8, Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4, Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4, SMC Takumar 55/2, SMC Pentax 55/1.8, Cosina 55/1.2 and even Vivitar/Komine 55/2.8 macro.
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I probably should but the way I like to do it takes some effort. I have an Auto-Takumar 55/1.8, Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4, Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4, SMC Takumar 55/2, SMC Pentax 55/1.8, Cosina 55/1.2 and even Vivitar/Komine 55/2.8 macro.
WoW! That would be quite remarkable contribution if you did it
10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
btw, build quality of 'A' is pretty good, better than FA lenses IMHO. I have FA50 too (I love 50mm), however I use FA50 only for AF need.
I will have a look at the build quality soon as I am going to visit next week a friend who has one. I might be even able to borrow that Takumar from my other friend and do some testing with it and SMC A version when I see my friend.. we'll see what happens

Thanks!

10-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
Forum Member

Are you looking at the early variant 8-element Super-Takumar? That is the best 50ish f/1.4 that I have used.

I also have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Mamiya Sekor 55mm f/1.4, and the Sears 55mm f/1.4 and they are all very nice (the latter two appear identical, possibly Tomioka?).
But, the 8-element Super-Takumar has sharper edges and nicer bokeh to my eyes.
10-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #24

I have the super tak and m 50. i would buy which ever one I could find at a good price. Look at camera bodies for sale because they can be found for cheap and often have either of these lenses.
10-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
Are you looking at the early variant 8-element Super-Takumar? That is the best 50ish f/1.4 that I have used.
In fact yes I am - but wanted to look at all the possible options.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
I also have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Mamiya Sekor 55mm f/1.4, and the Sears 55mm f/1.4 and they are all very nice (the latter two appear identical, possibly Tomioka?).
But, the 8-element Super-Takumar has sharper edges and nicer bokeh to my eyes.
I guess so Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't initially write about 8-element takumar but yeah it definitely is among my options! And looks like I am after all end up with one he he.

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
I have the super tak and m 50. i would buy which ever one I could find at a good price. Look at camera bodies for sale because they can be found for cheap and often have either of these lenses.
Thanks for a good hint! I usually try my local cash converters and other second-hand stuff shops as I have already found a very nice deals there ( my Tokina 135 and Sigma 24mm came both this way ). And only if I run out of local options I will go for something online.
10-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My advice would be to get a non-A 50mm. I've got the 50A, and it's a fab lens, but the metering on digital is a little wild. As a result, I usually just end up doing everything manually anyway (Hell, you'll only be buying it for 1.4 anyway, in which case the metering on the M version will be just as good as the A!). I recently bought the DA50 f1.8 simply because I wanted something a little bit more user friendly than the 50A. I suspect, that as an owner of the 50F 1.7, you'll be using that most often, with the f1.4 only coming out when you need the extra bokeh. My 2 cents....
10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
My advice would be to get a non-A 50mm. I've got the 50A, and it's a fab lens, but the metering on digital is a little wild. As a result, I usually just end up doing everything manually anyway (Hell, you'll only be buying it for 1.4 anyway, in which case the metering on the M version will be just as good as the A!). I recently bought the DA50 f1.8 simply because I wanted something a little bit more user friendly than the 50A. I suspect, that as an owner of the 50F 1.7, you'll be using that most often, with the f1.4 only coming out when you need the extra bokeh. My 2 cents....
FWIW, I did this with the Pentax-M 50mm 1.4, wide open. Yea, it was sharpened in post to fix issues with the camera's sensor, but well... this was shot wide open on a camera with a damaged sensor.

10-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Yes precisely my feelings. I love F 50mm 1.7 and am using it very often. 1.4 - which ever comes will come in when time allows to play with it as I know from other manual glass that to appreciate them one needs to have time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, I did this with the Pentax-M 50mm 1.4, wide open. Yea, it was sharpened in post to fix issues with the camera's sensor, but well... this was shot wide open on a camera with a damaged sensor.
Impressive - shame I won't be seeing this live any time soon - living in 10-milion city doesn't make things any darker at night .. anyway great to see what these old lenses still can do - can't wait to pick something finally.

Guys - lots of great info - appreciate !

Just a thought - is SMC M 50 having any different coatings or efficiency of them if it comes to flare and loss of contrast in certain situations ? I learnt from other lenses I have or briefly had that results of coating vary between lenses M and A - but never actually got around to test it reliably.

At least from my F50 experiences I know that it does pretty well in strong backlit situations :

K-01, F 50 1.7 @ 2.0 - the light outside was extremely strong so it was impossible to recover anything from that one huge white - even then I had to underexpose like 2 stops to get even this little detail in highlights on that window o.O

Looking for similar shots with manual glass - just to see how well it handles this sort of stuff.

Thanks

Last edited by manntax; 10-16-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added an image with example
10-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #29

Another one to think about is the K 50 1.4. these have the better SMC coatings and native bayonet mount but aren't as compact as the M and A versions.
Good luck with your hunt.
10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally I did it !

Ok I finally decided and went for ... SMC A version

tttaaa ddadaaa :

The reason is - I found a fairly good deal for it locally. It costed me about £20 more than what usually SMC M versions goes on eBay - so I consider it a pretty good deal - especially that there was a P30t camera attached to it and the lens under nasty filter turned to be pristine condition with a single microscopic speck of dust and absolutely unmarked optics. Body after cleaning also looks good.

I will however hunt more for the takumar version too - at least to see for myself and make some tests - then I can decide to either keep both or sell one - for now I am pretty happy. The build quality turned to be pretty good - lens is slightly bigger than M 50 1.7 that I have - I would say a bit bulkier. also there is more plastic in it - but it still has that touch of quality . To be honest if that was M version I would have gone for that one too - I was desperate to get one quick and risk free - so glad it was A version - the convenience is great - and I already attached it to my ME Super and will finnish my BW roll with it .

Until then gotta play with it a bit - K-01 seems ok in nailing the focus but K10D gives me a hard time ( no split screen ). I will update the thread when get a chance to do some tests with my A 50 vs friend's takumar - especially wide open.

Thank for al lthe entries - helped a lot.

Last edited by manntax; 10-19-2013 at 02:22 AM.