Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Using filters + macro lens for portraits

I am highly considering purchasing either the fa 50 macro or the fa 100 macro for both macro and portrait work.

1. As i understand the fa macros have a focus limiter so the focusing time shouldnt be too bad?

2. Also could i use a lens filter to get a dreamier fa 77 look rather than getting too much of the details?

3. Will the F2.8 be fast enough for portraiture work?

4. Would these be the best lens to achieve the duel purpose, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any advice in advance, appreciated!

10-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hakea Quote
I am highly considering purchasing either the fa 50 macro or the fa 100 macro for both macro and portrait work.

1. As i understand the fa macros have a focus limiter so the focusing time shouldnt be too bad?

2. Also could i use a lens filter to get a dreamier fa 77 look rather than getting too much of the details?

3. Will the F2.8 be fast enough for portraiture work?

4. Would these be the best lens to achieve the duel purpose, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any advice in advance, appreciated!
You shouldn't use a macro lens for portrait work. Most folks don't want to be super sharp in photos. If you do use one, at least put in the chair time to soften the photos.

Now on to your questions!

1) Focus limiters are awesome and greatly help autofocus time. However, if you're doing macro work, you're probably going to want to be manual focus anyways. It's just too easy to miss focus with autofocus. I know when I use my Tamron 90 for macro, I am set to manual.
2) Don't use a lens filter - if you mess it up, it's easier to go back to the "original" if you just take the picture without any modifier then post process it. Now are you going to get a "dreamy" look? Yes, but it will require post processing.
3) This answer depends on the lens. Some lenses are good at F2.8, others will require you to stop down to get the best image. I think most lenses would like you to stop down,
4) No. If you want to shoot macro, get a macro lens. If you want to shoot portraits, get a portrait lens. There are some cheap and good alternatives out there if you don't mind manual focus. In APS-C, the Pentax K 55mm is AWESOME and cheap for portraits. Also the K or M 100mm macro. You'd probably spend $200 for both.
10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

I love to use 50s macros for portrait, close ups and general photography.
Couple days ago I got A 50 2.8 macro, I can't be happier, my DA*55 is stellar lens but since new arrival it is safely packed and stored.