Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Bigma Filter?

What's your take on slapping a UV or Polarizer filter on a Bigma? I am looking at Tiffen for both and would like your opinion.

Thanks,
Eric

03-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To add...I use a polarizer on most of my other lens, but worried that the "slowness" of this lens coupled with a polarizer would make it REALLY slow.

As for the UV filter, I was thinking that it would be nice to protect the front element a bit. I just bought the lens and it's my new baby ya know!
03-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by land65 Quote
To add...I use a polarizer on most of my other lens, but worried that the "slowness" of this lens coupled with a polarizer would make it REALLY slow.

As for the UV filter, I was thinking that it would be nice to protect the front element a bit. I just bought the lens and it's my new baby ya know!
I bought the polariser and UV filter (both Hoya) for my Bigma at the same time as the lens. I figured at least the UV to protect a fairly (for me) hefty investment. In good light the polariser doesn't affect performace noticebly but at early morning and dusk, particularly on cloudy days there is a noticble slowdown in performance. But then again, it's not a low light lens either.

Edit: Whoops pressed the submit button too quick. The Pidgeon was shot with the Sigma 2x Teleconverter attached - the files have been downsized a little to save space. The Seagull is a little blown out on the chest as it was facing the setting sun and there was quite a lot contrast towards the end of the day. This was the first time I use the Bigma and 2x telecon. Overall, I was happy with the shots.
Attached Images

03-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Outlaw,
First off...great pictures. The colors are very vibrant and the birds are super sharp. Thanks for you opinion on the filters, I just ordered a couple.

03-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the CPL for my Bigma, the Hoya version (they only make one) and it kills AF speed, well it did for the motorsport stuff I was shooting. I packed it away and have never used it again.

I don't run UV, I have insurance on the gear so am prepared to run the risk.
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
I have the CPL for my Bigma, the Hoya version (they only make one) and it kills AF speed, well it did for the motorsport stuff I was shooting. I packed it away and have never used it again.

I don't run UV, I have insurance on the gear so am prepared to run the risk.
Yep it is a downer for Motorsport - had a similar experience on a bright day at the Clipsal 500 this year. But OK for landscape and nature work - as I said above, providing you have the light. All depends on your shooting style and subject matter I guess.
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot down at the riverside and seaside mostly and always have a UV filter on my Bigma. I always have the hood attached as well as I don't want to damage the lens. At 750 UK Pounds it's a sizable investment.

A UV filter is much cheaper to replace than a lens. Plus if it gets salt spray after a day at the sea it's much easier to clean.

04-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys! I bought the UV filter last weekend and sleep better at night knowing it's on the bigma. It's a huge investment (for me) and the relative low price of the filter gives me peace of mind.

So, now I'm onto the circular polarizer. I ordered one online from @dorama and after seeing mixed reviews here I'm concerned about it slowing the lens down to an unbearable level. At $150 for the filter...that's a lot of money that could be used toward another lens.

Typically I outfit all my lenses with polarizers and thought I would do the same with the bigma...but now I'm questioning this logic.

What do you think? Keep it, or send it back?

EDIT: I mostly shoot nature stuff (e.g. birds and other critters).

Last edited by land65; 04-01-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add detail
04-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #9

Thanks for the input guys! I bought the UV filter last weekend and sleep better at night knowing it's on the bigma. It's a huge investment (for me) and the relative low price of the filter gives me peace of mind.

So, now I'm onto the circular polarizer. I ordered one online from @dorama and after seeing mixed reviews here I'm concerned about it slowing the lens down to an unbearable level. At $150 for the filter...that's a lot of money that could be used toward another lens.

Typically I outfit all my lenses with polarizers and thought I would do the same with the bigma...but now I'm questioning this logic.

What do you think? Keep it, or send it back?

EDIT: I mostly shoot nature stuff (e.g. birds and other critters).
Keep it - it will make a huge difference in nature shots. One of the great features of the CPL as you probably know is the colour saturation they provide. If you shoot close too or at water on a sunny day, it will make a big difference to the quality of the picture.

I like performance as much as the next guy but I have no regrets using the CPL. In the end if you find it's really not what you want, you can sell it on Ebay or donate it to help out some other paupered Bigma owner