Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoney Quote
I think I narrowed it do to the Pentax 55-300, 50-200, a Sigma 70-300 DG AP Macro. Does anyone know of/ heard of a place where I can get the Sigma for less then $189. new? I'm thinking that may fit into my "wants" the most.
This maybe an advice more for the future than now but I thought I'd mention it

Ebay and local sales is your best bet to get cheap items. If you're new I suggest asking for sample photos and ask for opinions from people here whether it's a good copy or not.

After using your slr and accumulating lenses for a while, you can save quite a bit by buying used face to face, and making sure that the lens is ok at time of transaction. Practically all of my lenses are used (I've only bought four lenses new, I've gone through maybe 50 lenses, some kept and some resold). Only two lenses developed an unforeseen issue that I didnt see while inspecting (one I resold at purchase price, and one I kept because it's still a good deal anyway).

10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I really appreciate the advice. Being new in the dslr world the more information I can get the better, for I can't see an end in the future. I spent a year researching to find the right camera. This will help with starting build my "arsenal" of knowledge.
10-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beware of non-APO sigmas, price will be lower but the apo is sharper at tele. Between the two DA lenses it's your call: light and compact but less light, or bulkier but sharper and slightly faster in the 100-200mm range. I have the 50-200wr now but owned and liked both. I prefer the bokeh from the smaller lens and wanted wr - not as vital now that both lenses have wr copies!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 10-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.
10-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Beware of non-APO sigmas, price will be lower but the apo is sharper at tele. Between the two DA lenses it's your call: light and compact but less light, or bulkier but sharper and slightly faster in the 100-200mm range. I have the 50-200wr now but owned and liked both. I prefer the bokeh from the smaller lens and wanted wr - not as vital now that both lenses have wr copies!
Much thanks. One question. Is there a noticeable difference with the range of the 55-300mm over the 50-200mm? I think I may be leaning to the tele more being now that it's WR or a sigma in 300mm do to I can find them for less.