Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #1

Samyang 8mm F3.5 + Pentax K1000 ?

Hi guys! New member here. I recently purchased the Samyang 8mm F3.5, and while I'm loving it on digital, I'd love to try it on my K1000 as well (despite the vignetting). But when I try to attach the fisheye to the K1000 it seems really stiff, and I'd hate to break the thing two days in! Has anyone used the Samyang on any K-mount 35mm SLR?

10-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should definitely mount, but your image will literally appear circular. Unless that's what you're after, it might be a better idea to try one of the older M42 or K-series fisheyes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Actually it looks like this:

http://www.360pano.de/images/samyang_5d.jpg

The picture on the right is with the (fixed) lens hood shaved off. And I planned to crop the image when making a print so it would look the same as on digital. Older fisheyes do sound interesting, but I'd regret buying one if the Samyang is useable.
10-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I just tried mine on 2 K1000s, a Super Program and an ME Super, no issues at all. Some were a tighter fit than others, but they all mounted without applying excessive force. Do all other lenses feel the same between your K1000 and digital body?

10-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I just tried mine on 2 K1000s, a Super Program and an ME Super, no issues at all. Some were a tighter fit than others, but they all mounted without applying excessive force. Do all other lenses feel the same between your K1000 and digital body?
Yeah all the other lenses fit on both cameras with the same force, even my 18-55mm fits fine on the K1000, though it's pretty much useless And thanks for trying it for me, I just gave it a shot and it mounted on fine, although I did have to force it quite hard.
10-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PipW Quote
The picture on the right is with the (fixed) lens hood shaved off.
I believe there is a revised version of the lens with a removable hood now.
10-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I believe there is a revised version of the lens with a removable hood now.
CMIIW but I am under the impression that this lens is not actually designed for a true circular exposure like the Sigma 8mm is, and therefore a little of the circle is cut off at top and bottom.

I dont think this matters if what you're trying to do is the panorama stuff, but for artistic exposures it will cripple you if you dont have a full circle
10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
CMIIW but I am under the impression that this lens is not actually designed for a true circular exposure like the Sigma 8mm is, and therefore a little of the circle is cut off at top and bottom.

I dont think this matters if what you're trying to do is the panorama stuff, but for artistic exposures it will cripple you if you dont have a full circle
'Cripples'? If you're shooting film and need a complete image circle to make your shot, I suppose that would 'cripple' you if that's what you need. However if you're shooting film, you could digitize your negative and do a new perfect circular crop in the digital realm and get close to the full FOV of the lens. I would call a removable hood that no longer severely impacts using the lens on a full-frame camera is a great step up from a lens that *only* has an APS-C hood on it, and I think Samyang should be commended for revising the lens. For those interested, here's one of the revised lenses:

Amazon.com: Rokinon HD HD8M-P 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood for Pentax: Camera & Photo

10-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
'Cripples'? If you're shooting film and need a complete image circle to make your shot, I suppose that would 'cripple' you if that's what you need. However if you're shooting film, you could digitize your negative and do a new perfect circular crop in the digital realm and get close to the full FOV of the lens. I would call a removable hood that no longer severely impacts using the lens on a full-frame camera is a great step up from a lens that *only* has an APS-C hood on it, and I think Samyang should be commended for revising the lens. For those interested, here's one of the revised lenses:

Amazon.com: Rokinon HD HD8M-P 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood for Pentax: Camera & Photo
First of all sorry for quoting you, I didn't mean to. It was a bad habit of mine. The comment wasn't intended to reply to you specifically, just the op.

However imho if the aim is to shoot a circular image (like I think the OP wanted to, since he's using a K1000), while I'm shooting I dont want to have to visualize how it looks after I crop it into a true circle.

I'm not saying that Rokinon / Samyang didn't do well in making the hood removable. It's actually very commendable and very progressive for a lens maker. I'm just saying that if you want a perfectly circular image, you may not want to buy this lens if my impression of the circle not being round is correct.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-05-2013 at 07:09 PM.
10-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
First of all sorry for quoting you, I didn't mean to. It was a bad habit of mine. The comment wasn't intended to reply to you specifically, just the op.

However imho if the aim is to shoot a circular image (like I think the OP wanted to, since he's using a K1000), while I'm shooting I dont want to have to visualize how it looks after I crop it into a true circle.

I'm not saying that Rokinon / Samyang didn't do well in making the hood removable. It's actually very commendable and very progressive for a lens maker. I'm just saying that if you want a perfectly circular image, you may not want to buy this lens if my impression of the circle not being round is correct.
Actually intended to crop my 35mm pictures when making prints so they would have the same FOV as on APS-C. I'd lose resolution but I much prefer the look of a full frame fisheye to a circular one, not that I could pull off that look with this lens anyway.