Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I really think they shouldn't have changed the DA15 to rounded blades.... Sure, add more blades for more star trails but not the rounded blades...

Maybe every lens except DA15 and DA21..

Heck! Slap in an odd-numbered NON-rounded aperture blades into the DA14/2.8 to give it some life!

Rounded blades are mostly for smoother bokeh... Seriously, a wide angle used for bokeh? LoL!
I know it's doable but isn't the common usage for wide angles or super wides more for scenery? And they had to kill the starburst considerably..
My understanding with the "rounded aperture blades" is that with the DA 15, they only stay round to f5.6. Since I shoot starbursts mostly at f8 anyway, it wouldn't effect my shooting. But I doubt the rounded aspect of the blades really would effect diffraction stars much anyway. I see with the DA *55 at f8 and its aperture blades are plenty rounded.

As to whether or not the new coatings makes a difference, I don't know. But you can still buy the older version of the DA 15 if you think it doesn't.

10-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I really think they shouldn't have changed the DA15 to rounded blades.... Sure, add more blades for more star trails but not the rounded blades...

Maybe every lens except DA15 and DA21..

Heck! Slap in an odd-numbered NON-rounded aperture blades into the DA14/2.8 to give it some life!

Rounded blades are mostly for smoother bokeh... Seriously, a wide angle used for bokeh? LoL!
I know it's doable but isn't the common usage for wide angles or super wides more for scenery? And they had to kill the starburst considerably..
I use wide angle lenses for bokeh frequently. WA lenses are not only for landscape photography, I regularily use my sigma 24mm and my FA 20mm for flower and garden closeups, where bokeh is very important, and starburst would be distracting. Check out my Single in May (sigma 24mm) album for examples

NaCl(wide angle are not just for landscapes ya know)H2O
10-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I use wide angle lenses for bokeh frequently. WA lenses are not only for landscape photography, I regularily use my sigma 24mm and my FA 20mm for flower and garden closeups, where bokeh is very important, and starburst would be distracting. Check out my Single in May (sigma 24mm) album for examples

NaCl(wide angle are not just for landscapes ya know)H2O
Those are great shots...but in my opinion, 20mm and 24mm are completely different beasts than the 15mm.
Trying to get anything out of focus with a lens that wide is a real challenge.