Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Expanding the Limited Lens lineup?

I don't know about anyone else... but I am finally going to 'rant' a little bit.

First off, overall I am pretty pleased with what Pentax has offered. I shoot with a K-5 and will probably buy another camera body at some point.

That being said, I am of the opinion that Pentax has some fantastic glass. The DA Limited line up is SUPERB. I have all of them except the 35mm and I am debating getting that one or not.

I have no problems sticking with Pentax forever or until I hit the powerball... and even then I will still have Pentax...but I am still off put by something...

Now for my opinion/complain/suggestion:

Pentax lacks some key spots in the DA Limited line up.

What I would like to see is a DA 28mm Limited. f2.8 would be fine... it doesn't need to be super fast...but it needs to be the pancake style after the other ones... I am confident it's possible to make such a lens. Then I can have a 'complete' travel pack.

Also I would like to see a MODERN 50mm DA Limited made with the same construction as the other DA Limiteds.

I have considered getting a 31mm but still, this does not solve the mystery as to why we don't have a better more extensive line up of primes.

My current kit includes a K-5 (owned about a year and a half already, and my first ever DSLR)... all the DA Limited lenses except the 35mm macro...the F50 f1.7, and the F28 f2.8.

I personally think more choice makes more sense. I love the little compact nature of the DA line. It's perfect for travel. Small, simple, light, and very high quality.

After I bought the F28mm I am finding after a month of owning the lens I haven't taken it off my camera very much. In other words, I find it a very useful focal length.

It's just my opinion but I find it quite off putting that there are so many holes in Pentax' lens line up. I can't stand the notion that while it's great that we CAN use older lenses...but rather that we MUST use older lenses and scour ebay or whatever to get what we need.

Anyone else have this feeling? Hopefully Ricoh would do something about this... if they offer more choice, then more people can get what they want. More people getting what they want means more people can get the Pentax bug. Right now there is a lack of choice in my opinion.

Making more lenses is a win-win... not a win-lose...

Last edited by alamo5000; 10-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
10-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed there are holes, but they are being filled! I for one would like to see Pentax equip the da limiteds with silent AF motors without making them much (if any) bigger.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree - 28 mm is an extremely useful focal length on APS-C. I prefer it to 35 mm.

I think Pentax could/should have released a cheaper DA 28 or even a DA 24 as a companion their DA 50 and DA 35 lenses.
10-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What I would like to see is a DA 28mm Limited.
That focal length should be covered by the DA Limited zoom on the roadmap.

10-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The problem is Pentax has at least 3 different levels of primes. While together they cover a most focal length needs, individually there are large holes. Th eOP is lamenting a lack of 28, however the is a 31mm option but only in the "Pro" level which is an expensive option.

"Consumer" Level: DA plastics
"Prosumer" Level: DA limiteds, FA non-limiteds, and DFA macros
"Pro" level: FA limiteds & DA* primes
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That focal length should be covered by the DA Limited zoom on the roadmap.

All the focal lengths are covered by zooms, but too bad I don't use zooms.
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The problem is Pentax has at least 3 different levels of primes. While together they cover a most focal length needs, individually there are large holes. Th eOP is lamenting a lack of 28, however the is a 31mm option but only in the "Pro" level which is an expensive option.

"Consumer" Level: DA plastics
"Prosumer" Level: DA limiteds, FA non-limiteds, and DFA macros
"Pro" level: FA limiteds & DA* primes
For me it's not a matter of 'pro' or 'not pro' and all that...

Yes the cost is prohibitive... I don't like the notion of dropping $1000 bucks on a single lens...but I am sure the 31mm is a fine lens. But it's not a 28mm pancake design that I can fit in my pocket like the 40mm.

I like Pentax because the quality is outstanding. They also have a COMPACT mindset when they designed the DA Limiteds. That's why I bit the bullet and bought Pentax without ever handing a Pentax camera before (one of the reasons)... Basically they don't have what I am looking for and it's relatively easy for them to sell it to me. But they won't, and seem to not have the intention to...and that's making me a bit frustrated with them.

I am making no secret that I am highly pleased with what I have, but I am also making no secret that if ANYTHING makes me look anywhere else at all for camera gear... it's what I am bringing up here.

10-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Indeed there are holes, but they are being filled! I for one would like to see Pentax equip the da limiteds with silent AF motors without making them much (if any) bigger.
Maybe you know something I don't? I don't follow a lot of the 'industry' stuff or those soon to be released threads....when I see something I like, I don't mind ponying up the money to get it... but from a sheer marketing standpoint Pentax should at least want to appeal to the broadest amount of people...

When you say they are being filled...what do you mean?

Also DA Limiteds with silent AF motors?

I am sure we can come up with several things that are obvious to make the overall system better and more useful... but if I have to go on ebay and get into a bidding war to get a lens... that to me is just dumb.

I wish SOMEONE from Pentax would listen to us for once. I don't feel like they are.
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I agree - 28 mm is an extremely useful focal length on APS-C. I prefer it to 35 mm.

I think Pentax could/should have released a cheaper DA 28 or even a DA 24 as a companion their DA 50 and DA 35 lenses.
I agree. The 28mm that I have has been on the camera for a month. I tried it and I like it.

This makes me shake my head at Pentax.
10-06-2013, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree. The 28mm that I have has been on the camera for a month. I tried it and I like it.

This makes me shake my head at Pentax.
Another vote for the 28mm. I love my A 28 2.8 and would buy it in the limited version yesterday.
10-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that Pentax has the sales data for the FA 28mm f2.8 and keeps thinking that a new 28mm lens won't sell. And maybe looking at FA 31 sales (which have to be profitable) and not wanting to rob from that. But not having this lens means anyone looking for a prime between 21 and 31mm is buying something else. I don't even relate to these focal lengths that well and I'm cheap, but I have five lenses in this range.

My idea was a couple of lenses. One is faster and more expensive, a DA* lens like the 55/1.4. The second is a DA-L type prime like the 35/2.4 or 50/1.8, so it could be f2.8, based on the FA 28mm f2.8 for cost savings. They could be different focal lengths for further differentiation.
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
And maybe looking at FA 31 sales (which have to be profitable) and not wanting to rob from that.
This is like Ford complaining because someone bought a Fiesta instead of a pickup truck. There is always the option of selling nothing. Every time I buy a lens on Ebay Pentax doesn't get a dime.
10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax has tried to make APS-C lenses that reflect the 1.5x FOV differential and so you have the DA15mm (which is your FF 21mm) and the DA21mm (which is your FF30-31mm) no 18mm (FF 27-28mm) and no 24mm (FF 35-36mm) . You are probably correct in assuming they want to protect the FA31mm and so I advise waiting for that DA Limited zoom on the road-map (which should be along very soon) or buying the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 zoom when it becomes available.
10-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax has tried to make APS-C lenses that reflect the 1.5x FOV differential and so you have the DA15mm (which is your FF 21mm) and the DA21mm (which is your FF30-31mm) no 18mm (FF 27-28mm) and no 24mm (FF 35-36mm) . You are probably correct in assuming they want to protect the FA31mm and so I advise waiting for that DA Limited zoom on the road-map (which should be along very soon) or buying the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 zoom when it becomes available.

Zoom....not gonna happen.
10-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

too bad I don't use zooms.
You've never tried a Limited zoom.