Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lenses for Equine Photography

I have on the way a pentax k110d and a sigma 4-5.6 70-300 dg macro lens coming with it. what other lenses will i need for doing equine photography. i will be shooting both indoors and outdoors, adn when indoors im not allowed to use flash as it will spook the horses. thanks

01-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm...

First thing I'd recommend (a little late!) is that you get the K100 instead of the K110.

The SR will be worth its weight in gold...
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
First thing I'd recommend (a little late!) is that you get the K100 instead of the K110.

The SR will be worth its weight in gold...
True dat! Since you won't have the shake reduction, I'd get a tripod or at least a monopod to help hold steady indoors. Also, get a fast lens. Depending on how close you can get to the horses, something from a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 to a 135mm f/2.5 or f/2.8 would work well indoors. If you get manual lenses, you won't spend more than $100. If you get the (hard to find) FA50 f/1.4, you'll have a great lens and it will cost you around $175 new after rebate. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up to 800 or even 1600. 3200 will work in a pinch, but you won't be able to blow up the shot very much due to excessive noise.
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
True dat! Since you won't have the shake reduction, I'd get a tripod or at least a monopod to help hold steady indoors. Also, get a fast lens. Depending on how close you can get to the horses, something from a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 to a 135mm f/2.5 or f/2.8 would work well indoors. If you get manual lenses, you won't spend more than $100. If you get the (hard to find) FA50 f/1.4, you'll have a great lens and it will cost you around $175 new after rebate. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up to 800 or even 1600. 3200 will work in a pinch, but you won't be able to blow up the shot very much due to excessive noise.
I was planning to get manual lenses aactually as im on a budget. I do actually have both a tripod and monopod. it varies on how close i can get, as in some shows, im allowed in the middle fo the arena while others im forced outside of hte ring. where can i find manual lenses that will work for my lens mount?

01-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowrulz3164 Quote
I was planning to get manual lenses aactually as im on a budget. I do actually have both a tripod and monopod. it varies on how close i can get, as in some shows, im allowed in the middle fo the arena while others im forced outside of hte ring. where can i find manual lenses that will work for my lens mount?
Any Pentax lens will work with your camera. The M42 screwmounts (pre-1975 IIRC) will work with a $10 adapter. To me, that's the hidden value in Pentax dSLRs. You can get some great lenses for low prices.

Check ebay or the online camera shops (KEH.com, B&H Photo, Adorama) for used equipment. You can also troll the pawn shops and find some deals. I went to a camera show and bought 5 lenses for really cheap. I got a Sears branded multicoated 135mm f/2.8 lens for $5! I took some nice shots with it before I sold it to a student for the same $5.

Once you get a manual lens, you'll need to go into the menu and enable the use of the aperture ring. I can't remember the actual steps, but you only have to do it once (it's in the manual). Then, there are steps you take to properly meter the light. Again, I'm not good at it, but there are posts here and on the other fora that explain it in nice step-by-step fashion.

Oh, and I didn't mean to knock the K110D. I think it's a great camera. I had the DL before I sold it to buy my K100D. I really wanted shake reduction. However, the DL (and the K110D) will take pictures just as nice. You'll just have to be a little more careful with holding it steady.
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Shadowrulz,

I am new to DSLR, and just getting used to my K10D. I took this with
that elusive FA50 f/1.4 lens. There are so many things to tweek to
get a better picture...I guess that's half the fun. This is in a dark arena.

using 1/60 sec, f1.4 ISO 800
01-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thats much better than what i was getting with my old canon powershot S2