Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Where exactly did it sat "Hoya" ?
I don't see it anywhere on the lens itself. I guess it will be on the warranty card as well as the lens box and manual.

10-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I use the two lenses (DA*16-50 and DA*50-135) a lot for event photography. Both lenses are great IQwise, and both lenses have been replaced with newer SDM motors and still functioning today. In the early introduction of the lenses, some people had de-centering problems with the DA*16-50. There are times that I thought I might have that problem especially with the 16-50 lens, and I find it hard to test that particular problem especially if the problem is slight and not so obvious. In any case, if you encounter such a problem with the new lens you should be able to get it corrected within the warranty period.

One thing I noticed that the price of the new DA* 16-50/50-135 have gone up a lot since the early introduction year. So, I guess it pays to be an early adapter in this case despite the problems we encountered initially.
That's true.... they are expensive but so many owners regard them so highly. I'm going to take the plunge
10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't see it anywhere on the lens itself. I guess it will be on the warranty card as well as the lens box and manual.
Ah, well the packaging and paperwork could be from a large stock of original inventory. That's pretty common I suspect.

I suspect anything sold now is all new stuff.
10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

many comments on the Forum that while the screw drives are dependable they are slow and noisy.
Noisy, yes. Slow, not necessarily. it depends a lot on the individual lens and the length of the focus throw. My F 70-210 is just "whir...Bang" locked. I have a number of screw drive lenses that I think focus much faster than my SDM lenses. But no question they are noisy.

10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Noisy, yes. Slow, not necessarily. it depends a lot on the individual lens and the length of the focus throw. My F 70-210 is just "whir...Bang" locked. I have a number of screw drive lenses that I think focus much faster than my SDM lenses. But no question they are noisy.
Humm.... well, again, I've never seen any of these lenses and can only go on what I read. I've followed a number of your posts and have come to respect your positions and advice. Do you see a better option than the DA16 to 50? I really thing that the actual 24 to 75 focal length is ideal for me as my main walk around lens. I looked hard at the Sigma 24-70 but that leaves me needing to buy a wide angle lens and what I need to do is begin saving for a serious birding lens...
10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I use the two lenses (DA*16-50 and DA*50-135) a lot for event photography. Both lenses are great IQwise, and both lenses have been replaced with newer SDM motors and still functioning today. In the early introduction of the lenses, some people had de-centering problems with the DA*16-50. There are times that I thought I might have that problem especially with the 16-50 lens, and I find it hard to test that particular problem especially if the problem is slight and not so obvious. In any case, if you encounter such a problem with the new lens you should be able to get it corrected within the warranty period.

One thing I noticed that the price of the new DA* 16-50/50-135 have gone up a lot since the early introduction year. So, I guess it pays to be an early adopter in this case despite the problems we encountered initially.
It's good to use them a lot. One assumptions that my friends made according to observations from Pentax users in Thailand is that the SDM problem trends to occur in rarely used lenses, sitting on the shelf rather than being used. It seems like the lubricant in SDM motor last longer when it moves. And it gets dry when the lens just stays still.
I'm not sure about this but it looks like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There haven't been many complaints about failures in the part year. If there were issues, we would have seen lots of threads, as hundreds of 16-50s were sold last fall to our members (during the black Friday sale)
It could be from many reasons. It could be because it's not the time yet? Or they are frustrated to complain? Or they barely use it so they still don't detect it? Or all lenses were already well redesigned?

In my opinion it's still mystery. Even there is 1 year warranty, what if the SDM fails after 1 year?
So, it would be really great if Ricoh just officially announce that they have fixed this problem already. That can rise our confident to spend money for these premium lenses.
10-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
It's good to use them a lot. One assumptions that my friends made according to observations from Pentax users in Thailand is that the SDM problem trends to occur in rarely used lenses, sitting on the shelf rather than being used. It seems like the lubricant in SDM motor last longer when it moves. And it gets dry when the lens just stays still.
I'm not sure about this but it looks like it.

It could be from many reasons. It could be because it's not the time yet? Or they are frustrated to complain? Or they barely use it so they still don't detect it? Or all lenses were already well redesigned?

In my opinion it's still mystery. Even there is 1 year warranty, what if the SDM fails after 1 year?
So, it would be really great if Ricoh just officially announce that they have fixed this problem already. That can rise our confident to spend money for these premium lenses.
They're not going to comment about it. They would have done it already if that was the plan.

No reason to scare current users, after all

Nikon never admitted there was anything wrong with the D600's shutter, either!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Nikon never admitted there was anything wrong with the D600's shutter, either!
True!
10-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

better option than the DA16 to 50?
Not really, although there is a review here: DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com that says the Sigma or Tamron do better and for the price maybe so. My DA*16-50 is by far my most used lens. I've had no SDM problems, but if I do I'll get it repaired because I use it a lot. My only gripe is that it is a heavy lens, but that goes with the territory. f/2.8 is heavy. I do see a lot of people complaining about the performance at 16mm, maybe that's valid but on the other hand what is the alternative? Neither Sigma or Tamron go to 16mm. So if you need 16mm then I don't think there is a lot of choice and I find the IQ quite good enough for me. If 17mm is OK take a look at the competition. I paid $700 something for mine awhile back and never looked at the others. At current pricing I might at least look at other options. Although I did see some specials on that lens someplace just recently: Here you go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/239119-pentax-16-50mm-999-b-h-photo.html
10-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The 16-50 is the ONLY choice for Pentax users who want a f/2.8 zoom and WR. It is what it is. And it's worth $1k with a 5 year warranty. Too bad it only comes with a one year.

Wait for Black Friday. I would also only buy it with one of B&H's service plans.
10-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not really, although there is a review here: DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com that says the Sigma or Tamron do better and for the price maybe so. My DA*16-50 is by far my most used lens. I've had no SDM problems, but if I do I'll get it repaired because I use it a lot. My only gripe is that it is a heavy lens, but that goes with the territory. f/2.8 is heavy. I do see a lot of people complaining about the performance at 16mm, maybe that's valid but on the other hand what is the alternative? Neither Sigma or Tamron go to 16mm. So if you need 16mm then I don't think there is a lot of choice and I find the IQ quite good enough for me. If 17mm is OK take a look at the competition. I paid $700 something for mine awhile back and never looked at the others. At current pricing I might at least look at other options. Although I did see some specials on that lens someplace just recently: Here you go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/239119-pentax-16-50mm-999-b-h-photo.html
That $999 price is exactly why I'm looking so seriously. And as far as the 16mm not being so good, I don't expect many zoom lenses to be razor sharp at either end. At some point I may just buy the Pentax 15mm for more serious wide angle shots as people say good things about it. I'll have to wait and see how heavy the DA*16-50 is but I'm sure that it will be lighter than the Sigma 300mm 2.8 that I'm dreaming about for birding...
10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
.. convert it to screw drive only..
when I got my 16-50 I was surprised how slow it is to AF with the SDM. My Canikons and screw-drive pentax lenses are much faster.

Is the 1650 much faster focusing as a screw-drive on a K5 series body than using the motor in the lens?
I've missed a few candid moments in broad daylight because the thing was still slewing its way into focus while the action moved on.
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
Is the 1650 much faster focusing as a screw-drive on a K5 series body than using the motor in the lens?
Mine is converted to screwdrive and I think itīs about the same speed. Iīve also read that the K-5II takes advantage of a f/2.8 sensitive AF point and focusses faster with this lens
10-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
when I got my 16-50 I was surprised how slow it is to AF with the SDM. My Canikons and screw-drive pentax lenses are much faster.

I've missed a few candid moments in broad daylight because the thing was still slewing its way into focus while the action moved on.
Should you try a Tamron 17-50, you will see how fast a zoom in this range can focus. It's really, really fast.
10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Mine is converted to screwdrive and I think itīs about the same speed. Iīve also read that the K-5II takes advantage of a f/2.8 sensitive AF point and focusses faster with this lens
Thanks, good to know if my SDM ever fails on it.
I'm fond of the lens, despite the high distortion. It brings a lot of fine textural detail to images on the k52s.
Although, I am about to start comparing it...