Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Should you try a Tamron 17-50, you will see how fast a zoom in this range can focus. It's really, really fast.
... I'll be comparing my 16-50/2.8 to this Tamron 17-50/2.8 - I recently got a new one for a good price as well as a mint used DA 17-70mm for cheap.. less the hood.

I've tried the Tamron on my k30 and it's been pretty zippy on that so far but will put it on my k52s to test not only AF speed but compare it to detail and bokeh of the 16-50 and 17-70.
I sometimes find the 16-50's bokeh looks a little bit busier than I like but it's not often a factor.

10-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
It brings a lot of fine textural detail to images on the k52s.
I think you'll find the others do, too. Possibly even better (as some are finding out with the IIS).
10-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
Forum Member

My Pentax 16-50 failed and converted to screw drive

I bought a fairly late model Pentax 16-50 from a well regarded retailer in 2011. Brand new, box never opened from the factory. The optics on the lens are fantastic. However, from the beginning, the SDM seemed to hesitate when not used for a month or so. I rarely used the lens on trips, since I could not chance an AF failure. Finally, the SDM failed last month. I followed the procedure to convert it to screw AF, and now I have a great lens with no fear of AF failure. What surprised me is how fast and relatively quiet the screw AF is on this lens. If I bought another copy of this lens, I would convert it right away and enjoy the great optics and weather proofing....and just forget the SDM. lt's not needed, the screw AF is as fast or faster, very accurate, and will last a long, long time. Of course, it's absurd that Pentax has not fixed the SDM problem, but the screw AF is the answer and definitely the way to go....my guess is most ot these lenses will have SDM problems at some point.
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
I bought a fairly late model Pentax 16-50 from a well regarded retailer in 2011. Brand new, box never opened from the factory. The optics on the lens are fantastic. However, from the beginning, the SDM seemed to hesitate when not used for a month or so. I rarely used the lens on trips, since I could not chance an AF failure. Finally, the SDM failed last month. I followed the procedure to convert it to screw AF, and now I have a great lens with no fear of AF failure. What surprised me is how fast and relatively quiet the screw AF is on this lens. If I bought another copy of this lens, I would convert it right away and enjoy the great optics and weather proofing....and just forget the SDM. lt's not needed, the screw AF is as fast or faster, very accurate, and will last a long, long time. Of course, it's absurd that Pentax has not fixed the SDM problem, but the screw AF is the answer and definitely the way to go....my guess is most ot these lenses will have SDM problems at some point.
I wouldn't mind buying this lens and having it converted to screw drive...but the problem is that you need and older body to do it. All I have is a k-30 which doesn't have the capability to do this. Some enterprising Pentaxian should perform this service for a small fee

10-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Forum Member

I was lucky and have my trusty K20D as well as my K5 and K01. By the way, the Pentax 16-50 in screw drive works just great on the k-01. For the price to temporarily "fix" the sdm on this lens, you could buy an older body and convert it...and save all the repair nonsense.
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Nikon never admitted there was anything wrong with the D600's shutter, either!
True, but Nikon quickly replaced the D600 with the D610, and magically it was "fixed"! If Pentax had done this right, we should have had a DA*16-50 II a long time ago... (and yes, I'm still waiting). Now, we can only speculate that the problem has been fixed, and on a $1000 item that is an unacceptable risk, imho.

On a related note, I picked up a D600 for a friend this past summer when I was in the US and he is kicking himself now...
10-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
True, but Nikon quickly replaced the D600 with the D610, and magically it was "fixed"! If Pentax had done this right, we should have had a DA*16-50 II a long time ago... (and yes, I'm still waiting). Now, we can only speculate that the problem has been fixed, and on a $1000 item that is an unacceptable risk, imho.

On a related note, I picked up a D600 for a friend this past summer when I was in the US and he is kicking himself now...
Yes, and Pentax quickly released the K5ll to address shortcomings in the K5...... I suspect that changes in a big zoom lens compared to a shutter fix are much more costly and time consuming. If they fixed the DA*16-50 I'd love to have had Ricoh admit that there were problems with their DA*16-50 and that all was well. If they had done that they would have sold more of the lenses and given us users a lot more confidence in the company.

Hello in beautiful Helsinki...
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Should you try a Tamron 17-50, you will see how fast a zoom in this range can focus. It's really, really fast.
In case you missed it, there's a post in the K-3 forum by someone who was able to play with the K-3. From that post:
QuoteQuote:
In particular, I was impressed by the speed and accuracy increase from the Tamron 17-50mm when mounted onto the K-3; this felt like using a whole new lens (the screwdrive motor is also many times quieter as well!).
That assessment is anecdotal and it has not been confirmed, but it is enticing.

10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Yes, and Pentax quickly released the K5ll to address shortcomings in the K5......
Define "quickly" !

K-5 was launched in 2010 and K-5II came roughly 2 years later (2012). Nikon replaced the D600 with the D610 in less than a year I believe. I guess Pentax runs on a different time schedule than Nikon...
10-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
In case you missed it, there's a post in the K-3 forum by someone who was able to play with the K-3. From that post:

That assessment is anecdotal and it has not been confirmed, but it is enticing.
This sounds extremely promising. The Tamron's optical qualities are very pleasing in my usage, so if the K3 can exploit it better, it would certainly be fantastic. My 17-50 has paid for itself with the amount of pics I got that generated income, so I'm going to stick with the combination I have now.