Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA*16-50 redesign?

It has been mentioned in a couple places on the forum that after many early focus failures with the early releases of the DA* 16-50 lens that Pentax "made some improvements" to or somehow corrected the failure prone components. Does anyone have any actual evidence of this actually happening? I'd really like to know as I am very interested in the lens but am reluctant to spend $1,000 for something that is likely to fail.

Thanks, Bob

10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Originally, it was a comment from a German Pentax engineer that said de parts prone to failure had been changed in the SDM mechanism. So the problem shouldnīt existe for 2012 and onwards produced lenses
10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually do have the early version of the lens and the SDM motor was replaced by Pentax Canada repair centre; according to the repair shop, the SDM motor component installed in my lens was an updated design (with different/better material). I don't have any problems since then. While I can understand your concern I don't think the new lenses manufactured within the last year will have the same problem as the early production version.
10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Banned

We're still awaiting any sort of confirmation. Note: we've been told by people seeding the forums that their SDM repairs were carried out using "redesigned parts" for four years now, and no one has ever been able to confirm this, nor has Pentax.

The flaw is the complete drive design.

Not only that, with the 16-50, decentered elements is a concern (two test copies I had were both decentered) and many have reported that as a problem.

My advice is to never buy one new. Buy a used one and convert it to screw drive only. Make sure the elements aren't badly decentered before you buy. Then you'll be golden, but don't use it too much at 16mm. The optical quality below 18mm is not very good and overall, it's not the best lens for optical quality between it, the Tamron, and Sigma.

10-09-2013, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There haven't been many complaints about failures in the part year. If there were issues, we would have seen lots of threads, as hundreds of 16-50s were sold last fall to our members (during the black Friday sale)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Originally, it was a comment from a German Pentax engineer that said de parts prone to failure had been changed in the SDM mechanism. So the problem shouldnīt existe for 2012 and onwards produced lenses
Yes! That is exactly what I remember seeing and it sounds great however..... did that really happen?
10-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I actually do have the early version of the lens and the SDM motor was replaced by Pentax Canada repair centre; according to the repair shop, the SDM motor component installed in my lens was an updated design (with different/better material). I don't have any problems since then. While I can understand your concern I don't think the new lenses manufactured within the last year will have the same problem as the early production version.
Now that sounds more like a "confirmation"....

10-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
We're still awaiting any sort of confirmation. Note: we've been told by people seeding the forums that their SDM repairs were carried out using "redesigned parts" for four years now, and no one has ever been able to confirm this, nor has Pentax.

The flaw is the complete drive design.

Not only that, with the 16-50, decentered elements is a concern (two test copies I had were both decentered) and many have reported that as a problem.

My advice is to never buy one new. Buy a used one and convert it to screw drive only. Make sure the elements aren't badly decentered before you buy. Then you'll be golden, but don't use it too much at 16mm. The optical quality below 18mm is not very good and overall, it's not the best lens for optical quality between it, the Tamron, and Sigma.
I'm just not interested in screw drive technology....
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I'm just not interested in screw drive technology...
Why?
I think itīs great they still use it. itīs cheap, light, easy to fix or replace.. Extremely reliable..
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There haven't been many complaints about failures in the part year. If there were issues, we would have seen lots of threads, as hundreds of 16-50s were sold last fall to our members (during the black Friday sale)

That's good to know. I have no idea how many of these lenses have been sold and that there were "hundreds sold" on Black Friday gives me some confidence.

I tried to call Chuck at B&H earlier today but couldn't get a hold of him. I wanted to chat "off line" about the lens and not put B&H in an awkward position. So I finally just posted the question to him on the forum. Wonder if there's a way to pull the request?? Anyway, I'm going to take a chance and order the lens in the morning and then try and get an idea when the K3's will be available.

Thanks Adam...
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Why?
I think itīs great they still use it. itīs cheap, light, easy to fix or replace.. Extremely reliable..
Well.... having no way to see, handle or hear the lenses in action I can only make decisions based on reviews and the many comments on the Forum that while the screw drives are dependable they are slow and noisy. Both are somewhat subjective and there is no actual comparative data between the two that I've seen. In any event I don't want noisy.

Do Canon and Nikon still use the screw drive system? (I actually don't know)
10-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Funny - I also bought a DA* 16-50 during last years Black Friday sale in hopes of getting a newer one that would hopefully have the redesigned parts. When received it said "HOYA" on it - returned it right away.
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use the two lenses (DA*16-50 and DA*50-135) a lot for event photography. Both lenses are great IQwise, and both lenses have been replaced with newer SDM motors and still functioning today. In the early introduction of the lenses, some people had de-centering problems with the DA*16-50. There are times that I thought I might have that problem especially with the 16-50 lens, and I find it hard to test that particular problem especially if the problem is slight and not so obvious. In any case, if you encounter such a problem with the new lens you should be able to get it corrected within the warranty period.

One thing I noticed that the price of the new DA* 16-50/50-135 have gone up a lot since the early introduction year. So, I guess it pays to be an early adopter in this case despite the problems we encountered initially.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Funny - I also bought a DA* 16-50 during last years Black Friday sale in hopes of getting a newer one that would hopefully have the redesigned parts. When received it said "HOYA" on it - returned it right away.
According to Pentax repair, the 'defective' component of the SDM motor was corrected at the very early stage, so the lenses produced later could still have Hoya name on it. By the way, I am not trying to promote it.. just saying based my experience...
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Where exactly did it sat "Hoya" ?