Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
first sample images from Sigma 70-200/2.8 II

And yes, this is from a Canon mount because it was just released. That means the Pentax one is only a month away :-)

Unfortunately, it's still not very sharp at 2.8 as the old 70-200/2.8 was (though bokeh at 2.8 looks great as usual for this zoom range). I thought Sigma said they were improving the optical formula, but I guess not. Looks like it'll be silent Sigma HSM vs. sharper Tamron 70-200/2.8 if Tamron comes through as expected...

Sigma 70-200 DG II HSM Macro Test Images - a photoset on Flickr

03-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
And yes, this is from a Canon mount because it was just released. That means the Pentax one is only a month away :-)

Unfortunately, it's still not very sharp at 2.8 as the old 70-200/2.8 was (though bokeh at 2.8 looks great as usual for this zoom range). I thought Sigma said they were improving the optical formula, but I guess not. Looks like it'll be silent Sigma HSM vs. sharper Tamron 70-200/2.8 if Tamron comes through as expected...

Sigma 70-200 DG II HSM Macro Test Images - a photoset on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. Have you checked for back/frony focussing issue ?...because that will result in softness wide-open as well and could be fixed.
03-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
umm...it's not mine since I don't have a Canon camera...I'm just lurking in the Canon forums since Sigma and Tamron seem to release the Canon mount of their lenses first ;-)

Adjusting BF/FF isn't that useful w/ a zoom. AFAIK, none of the cameras w/ adjustments let you fiddle w/ BF/FF for each focal length of a zoom...it's all or nothing for the entire lens.
03-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
clm

I don't think the camera was parallel to the bottle. Look at the plywood in the first photo: the top of the bottle and the front edge of the plywood are in focus, but the bottom of the bottle isn't. The in-focus areas seem sharp enough, though.

03-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
umm...it's not mine since I don't have a Canon camera...I'm just lurking in the Canon forums since Sigma and Tamron seem to release the Canon mount of their lenses first ;-)

Adjusting BF/FF isn't that useful w/ a zoom. AFAIK, none of the cameras w/ adjustments let you fiddle w/ BF/FF for each focal length of a zoom...it's all or nothing for the entire lens.

Oh! I thought you are a two system owner.

I was talking about the entire lens, as in sending it back to sigma and not adjusting it in camera. Certain sigma's like my 10-20 needed the backfocus to be corrected. With the BF problem the lens was soft wide open and gets better stopped down due to increasing DOF, so the softness wide-open wasn't a problem of the lens design but rather a focussing error.

But, if it isn't your lens, we can't check anyway...also, going back and forth between the flickr pages I didn't detect much softness wide open, not the greatest target.