Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

My 50-135 is SDM dead....

didn't use for a few month, last month when I took it out, it needs a few minutes to wake up ...

and then today, it totally doesn't work...

I am really unhappy for a $1000 purchase like this. Had it brand new for only 1.5 years and I barely used it

really unhappy. I was thinking of getting a K-3, but now all of sudden I am not sure whether I should stick with RP

Does anyone know whether sending back for service solve the problem? Or the issue comes back soon even after serviced?

10-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruoyun.huang Quote
didn't use for a few month, last month when I took it out, it needs a few minutes to wake up ...

I am really unhappy for a $1000 purchase like this. Had it brand new for only 1.5 years and I barely used it

really unhappy. I was thinking of getting a K-3, but now all of sudden I am not sure whether I should stick with RP

Does anyone know whether sending back for service solve the problem? Or the issue comes back soon even after serviced?
Try this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html
10-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
so bad that I only have a k-5 ... :-(
10-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Servicing will usually fix the problem for long enough, but there's no guarantee that the SDM motor won't break again. I've heard stories of 3 or even 4 SDM replacements on the same lens, though those were certainly extreme cases.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #5

Hey,
I Got 50-135mm SDM motor replaced after 2 years by CRK Australia (Pentax Distributer). Think they charged 211.00 AUD which I thought was a good price.Ever since the lens has worked flawlessly, perhaps even better than it did initially. I get awesome results from this lens so I didn't think twice about replacing the motor. Likewise mine would require a warm up before the focus would function up until it failed completely. I much prefer the silent motor autofocus when compared to screw drive. . Goodluck!
Cheers,
Dan. V
10-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Buy a used K10. They're so cheap these days.... I'd say you can get one well used body only for around 125
10-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Banned

Put a call out there on your local pentax forums and see if someone has an old body they can help you with a FW reassignment.

10-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had my 50-135 (owned since 2008) serviced by CRIS a couple of years ago, and had the SDM replaced. I use mine very infrequently, and when I went to use it a few weeks ago, it was dead again. I tried to revive it with my K-5 without success, and figured it was totally dead again. I contacted Ricoh, and basically got flipped the bird by them and got told tough luck. I then tried an old K200D body to revive it, and eventually that woke mine up. Not to say that it wouldn't have eventually woken up with my K-5, but the K200D got the job done.

It's amazing that any lens, let alone a lens of this quality, can just go to sleep and have to get woken up somehow. I have printed out all of the materials on deactivating the SDM, but I have no clue how to actually do it with the K200D. So for now, I'll try to keep on top of mine a bit better from now on to keep the SDM working. Good luck with yours OP.
10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curios, how to you store your lens when you are not using it? Do you let it stand (up-side-down with pouch) or do you just lay it down horizontally? I have a hunch that if you lay it flat, it may stall, but if you let it stand up (on a shelf) it will wake up much easier. Again, nothing scientific about that... I don't use those two DA* lenses unless I am on assignment to do events because I like to use small primes for ease of carry. When I do need to use those two lenses, I don't get any issues. That is just in my case, and of course ymmv.
10-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Rumour has it that replacement motors from a certain year onwards are different and expected to have better reliability.

I feel that the 50-135/2.8 is such a good lens that it is worth having it repaired or converted to screw-drive. As has been suggested already, you should be able to get access to a body that can change the lens data.

If I were you, I'd definitely not let the experience with (possibly only the old) SDM let me detract from the K-3 or Pentax in general. I agree that there are too many SDM failure stories out there for comfort, but for some the 50-135/2.8 seems to be working just fine and there are a lot of alternative lenses that you could combine with a great body like the K-3.
10-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Rumour has it that replacement motors from a certain year onwards are different and expected to have better reliability.

I feel that the 50-135/2.8 is such a good lens that it is worth having it repaired or converted to screw-drive. As has been suggested already, you should be able to get access to a body that can change the lens data.

If I were you, I'd definitely not let the experience with (possibly only the old) SDM let me detract from the K-3 or Pentax in general. I agree that there are too many SDM failure stories out there for comfort, but for some the 50-135/2.8 seems to be working just fine and there are a lot of alternative lenses that you could combine with a great body like the K-3.
Even as a rumor, it's a stretch, as it's been documented on various forums for four years now, the same words about updated parts.

And as an aside, the Tokina-branded variants for other mounts don't seem so problematic. This is the shame because the 50-135 is quite a nice lens optically, but it's available for other mounts, so if you really love it, that lens isn't going to help keep you on Pentax.
10-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Even as a rumor, it's a stretch, as it's been documented on various forums for four years now, the same words about updated parts.
I'm not talking about a rumour that old. I'm not talking about a single forum member making a claim either.

The recent "SDM replacement" rumour I referred is far less than four years old and several people have referenced Pentax / service people refer to a better replacement.

I personally still wouldn't touch any of the SDM lenses that were problematic in the past (partly because they are APS-C lenses) but if I owned the 50-135/2.8, I'd make it usable again, one way or the other.
10-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm not talking about a rumour that old. I'm not talking about a single forum member making a claim either.

The recent "SDM replacement" rumour I referred is far less than four years old and several people have referenced Pentax / service people refer to a better replacement.

I personally still wouldn't touch any of the SDM lenses that were problematic in the past (partly because they are APS-C lenses) but if I owned the 50-135/2.8, I'd make it usable again, one way or the other.
The problem is not a single person has been able to physically confirm the existence of the supposed new parts in the current rumor.

We have people here that have pulled apart their lenses to expose the circuit boards and mechanical focusing parts to photograph them, but in the interest of confirming anything new, no one does anything. No one tries to confirm, while Pentax is on the line with them and their repairs, the new vs. old part numbers (which could indicate a supercession), no one asks for the old parts back (which is your right, particularly in the US, as it's your proof of repair and something I always do to help make sure a repair that was billed for has no question to it). We have many different ways to go and it seems no less shady than it did in 2009. We even have supposed direct contacts and no one is talking.
10-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The problem is not a single person has been able to physically confirm the existence of the supposed new parts in the current rumor.
You are right. It is a shame that this didn't happen yet.

Perhaps it is not possible to demonstrate the existence of new parts, because there aren't any. Could well be the case.

We even have supposed direct contacts and no one is talking.
Well, it is a delicate issue for Pentax.
I don't see them ever admitting that there has been a systematic problem with some SDM lenses. If they did that officially, they could get into all sorts of trouble.

For the record, I cannot exclude the possibility of their version of the story -- that SDM failures frequencies are not out of the ordinary and well within what you'd expect -- is true. It surely does not look like the SDM of a 16-50/2.8 or 50-135/2.8 is anywhere near as reliable as the HSM implementation of many Sigma lenses. The latter use large ring motors which are more robust than the micro-motors in the SDM lenses, so I wouldn't be surprised if the real numbers supported the overall impression that certain SDM lenses do have a reliability problem, but at the end of the day, I don't have the failure numbers and only the latter reflect the whole truth.
10-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just curios, how to you store your lens when you are not using it? Do you let it stand (up-side-down with pouch) or do you just lay it down horizontally? I have a hunch that if you lay it flat, it may stall, but if you let it stand up (on a shelf) it will wake up much easier. Again, nothing scientific about that... I don't use those two DA* lenses unless I am on assignment to do events because I like to use small primes for ease of carry. When I do need to use those two lenses, I don't get any issues. That is just in my case, and of course ymmv.
Depends. Often the case, it is laid down.