Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
See the reviews here for the FA 50mm 1.7 SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sharpness doesn't seem to be a problem, or anything else. I have one and like it, but my only other experience is with an 18-135mm.
And the sample archive.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/174806-super-mu...0mm-1-7-a.html

10-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #17

Also, since money doesn't seem to be a big issue, why not rent a couple and see how you like them? If you are in the U.S. lensrental.com and cameralensrental.com should have what you need.
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I can tell you that my DA*55 fits all of the things you stated, it's one of my best buys all time!

10-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
i read you should avoid fa50/1.7 too... not sharp at all, many bad reviews for sharpness...
You're poorly informed on this. The f1.7 50s are the sharpest 50s from Pentax. I was saying that BOKEH is not as smooth. It's not bad at all, but not the best.

10-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You're poorly informed on this. The f1.7 50s are the sharpest 50s from Pentax. I was saying that BOKEH is not as smooth. It's not bad at all, but not the best.
oh! i am sorry if i misunderstood anything... ^^;; how much sharper you think is the fa 1.7 compared to M (P) 50/1.7 do you know?
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can tell you that my DA*55 fits all of the things you stated, it's one of my best buys all time!
Thank you so much for the sample photos! they look as good as other photos i have seen with this lens... I will buy it! i like it a lot... all the photos i saw with it look very good! the bokeh is nice... and i think it is good to have autofocus for the occasions I want to use it, even when it is not often...
10-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh! i am sorry if i misunderstood anything... ^^;; Thank you so much for the sample photos! they look as good as other photos i have seen with this lens... I will buy it! i like it a lot... all the photos i saw with it look very good! the bokeh is nice... and i think it is good to have autofocus for the occasions I want to use it, even when it is not often...
Also, since money doesn't seem to be a big issue, why not rent a couple and see how you like them? If you are in the U.S. lensrental.com and cameralensrental.com should have what you need.
i don't live in the US... but i will look for camera shops around here... i think they don't have pentax, maybe only canon and nikon if anything... but i can look... ^^ but really i prefer to buy... if i don't like a lens i can always sell it again... if i sell soon after buying i don think i lose more money than renting... not big difference ^^
10-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

oh! i am sorry if i misunderstood anything... ^^;; how much sharper you think is the fa 1.7 compared to M (P) 50/1.7 do you know? Thank you so much for the sample photos! they look as good as other photos i have seen with this lens... I will buy it! i like it a lot... all the photos i saw with it look very good! the bokeh is nice... and i think it is good to have autofocus for the occasions I want to use it, even when it is not often...
Don't forget the WR, it makes me use it under almost any conditions I want to shoot in, the giant hood is fantastic in rain too.
10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think

Note that on the FA31 and FA77 it's a usable f/1.8 - most lenses don't have near-optimal IQ wide open, but these do. Likewise, the DA*55 is usable at/near wide-open, unlike any AF 50 Pentax has ever made.

Your best resources right now are other's photos, if you study them carefully and look at what aperture they were taken with. The top 3 places to look IMO are:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model
Pentax smc P-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
Full-size sample photos from Pentax 85mm F/1.8

I'd consider:

K50/1.2

DA*55/1.4

FA77/1.8
FA31/1.8

maybe K85/1.8 (I don't have experience with this lens)
thank you for the suggestions! ^^ i think i already decided to buy da*55 i will look into the links too!
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I'd go with a Sigma 50 1.4. Superb lens.

The FA50 1.4 and 1.7 (also F series) are both good, too. The Sigma, to me, is the best for bokeh.
thank you for the information
See the reviews here for the FA 50mm 1.7 SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sharpness doesn't seem to be a problem, or anything else. I have one and like it, but my only other experience is with an 18-135mm.
i am sorry if i had bad information... thank you for the link...
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In addition to fast lenses there are a lot of legacy preset lenses with round apertures that give great bokeh even when stopped down
but i want one lens with good bokeh at many/all apertures and that is also fast, not 2 lenses... i rather pay more to have everything in one! ^^

10-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Don't forget the WR, it makes me use it under almost any conditions I want to shoot in, the giant hood is fantastic in rain too.
which WR? I was shooting in the rain for 2 hours earlier... with a manual M lens i saw no problem with my k-5... all good ^^ but yes, WR is good... for worse weather... the DA* is also WR yes? that is why i want to buy it! it has everything!
10-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

which WR? I was shooting in the rain for 2 hours earlier... with a manual M lens i saw no problem with my k-5... all good ^^ but yes, WR is good... for worse weather... the DA* is also WR yes? that is why i want to buy it! it has everything!
All DA* have weather sealing, better ones that the DA WR lenses got.
10-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
All DA* have weather sealing, better ones that the DA WR lenses got.
i though it was so, thank you... i looked up the FA 50/1.7, it doesn't look bad... really not but i think i want the DA* because it has everything... i don't think i need both
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

oh! i am sorry if i misunderstood anything... ^^;; how much sharper you think is the fa 1.7 compared to M (P) 50/1.7 do you know?
It's hard to evaluate "how much" sharper especially since I've never used the M50 f1.7. The F50 f1.7 can be among the sharpest I've used, nearly as sharp as a macro lens when used properly. There is more to image quality than sharpness however. For instance, the DA40 limited has better contrast and more pleasing colours, which make the images look clearer and better (to my eyes at least). Images from the F50 f1.7 are a bit cooler than what most other lenses produce, also.

All the 50s from Pentax are quite good, sharp and reliable. They all produce nice bokeh. But there are variations. The f2 versions are not quite as sharp, the f1.4 loose some sharpness wide open, the f1.7 have slightly busier bokeh. You would see the difference when comparing side by side, but you would be pleased with any.
10-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's hard to evaluate "how much" sharper especially since I've never used the M50 f1.7. The F50 f1.7 can be among the sharpest I've used, nearly as sharp as a macro lens when used properly. There is more to image quality than sharpness however. For instance, the DA40 limited has better contrast and more pleasing colours, which make the images look clearer and better (to my eyes at least). Images from the F50 f1.7 are a bit cooler than what most other lenses produce, also.

All the 50s from Pentax are quite good, sharp and reliable. They all produce nice bokeh. But there are variations. The f2 versions are not quite as sharp, the f1.4 loose some sharpness wide open, the f1.7 have slightly busier bokeh. You would see the difference when comparing side by side, but you would be pleased with any.
thank you for your reply ^^ yes, maybe it was not a good question... you make good points, contrast and bright colors are also important to me... and no CA or CF because CA and CF make image look softer and messier... i have the M-50/1.7 (Rikenon P) but i am not too happy... you can take some nice photos with it! in low light and on cloudy days... it is good for many uses. but it doesn't have a hood... and without hood it doesn't have that much contrast and it gets lens flare easily... i took a separate hood from another lens and fitted it temporarily on the m-50, it improved the results but i still think other 50's are sharper and better... ^^;; i will sell this 50 when I get another 50 (though it is not worth much so doesn't matter a lot... but my copy is in perfect condition! so that is good ^^ ) edit: this forum only has pentax M listed... is there difference between pentax M and Rikenon M? my lens is rikenon...
10-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The F/FA50 1.7 lenses have the same optical formula as the M50/1.7. The F/FA ones just have newer coatings is all, so you get better flare resistance, etc. I found the rendering was nearly the same (I own both an M and F version)
10-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

i have the M-50/1.7 (Rikenon P)
is there difference between pentax M and Rikenon M? my lens is rikenon...
They are completely different lenses, made by different manufacturers. I am not familiar with the Rikenon, it's not listed in the miscellaneous third-party lenses indeed. You might consider supplying info about it there What I do know is that the f1.7 lenses from Pentax have a recessed front element, providing a hood of sorts, and they are not prone to flare. I would suggest you do not forge your opinion of the Pentax lenses by comparing them with other manufacturers, it's completely unrelated (just like evaluating a Ford by comparing it to a Toyota, if you will).