Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
They are completely different lenses, made by different manufacturers. I am not familiar with the Rikenon, it's not listed in the miscellaneous third-party lenses indeed. You might consider supplying info about it there What I do know is that the f1.7 lenses from Pentax have a recessed front element, providing a hood of sorts, and they are not prone to flare. I would suggest you do not forge your opinion of the Pentax lenses by comparing them with other manufacturers, it's completely unrelated (just like evaluating a Ford by comparing it to a Toyota, if you will).
are you sure? Rikenon is a Ricoh brand... Richo = Asahi, the owner of the Pentax brand... that is why I ask but yes, I can supply information about it if people want... I will have to take some decent test photos first same photos with different apertures... like i have seen in reviews... my lens has no hood and as far as I know one was never manufactured for it... so no hood. it also has only 6 blades... it's an M lens with a P setting. edit: i'm sorry, i looked into the lenses and ricoh was in "third party lenses"... maybe you are right ^^ but i thought it was pentax... Rikoh Rikenon P 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database it is here! that is the lens I have... see what migno says, that is my opinion as well! maybe if I got a good hood for it... I tried the kit lens hood (it is not made for this lens but I succeeded in attaching it with a filter...) and got a little better results, so maybe a good hood would help me get more out of it... ^^

Last edited by cream; 10-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
10-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In addition to fast lenses there are a lot of legacy preset lenses with round apertures that give great bokeh even when stopped down
if I want to stop down why would I buy a fast lens... most of my use will be wide open or stopped down to f/2 or wider so... I think I have made my decision! I like both the SMC 50/1.2 (the fastest lens pentax ever made, I love the bokeh... there's an A version but I don't see enough improvement for the $200 more) and the da* 50/1.4... so I think I will get both! in some situations the 1.2 might give me what the 1.4 can't... and i will get the samyang aspherical 85/1.4 so... $1250 if the average prices are true! I'm happy with this... thank you everyone for your help ^^
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
Rikenon is a Ricoh brand... Richo = Asahi, the owner of the Pentax brand
Ricoh has owned Pentax for the last two years or so...
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if I want to stop down why would I buy a fast lens... most of my use will be wide open or stopped down to f/2 or wider so... I think I have made my decision! I like both the SMC 50/1.2 (the fastest lens pentax ever made, I love the bokeh... there's an A version but I don't see enough improvement for the $200 more) and the da* 50/1.4... so I think I will get both! in some situations the 1.2 might give me what the 1.4 can't... and i will get the samyang aspherical 85/1.4 so... $1250 if the average prices are true! I'm happy with this... thank you everyone for your help ^^
You asked for fast or other lenses with nice bokeh. Presets offer that stopped down

10-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

but i want one lens with good bokeh at many/all apertures and that is also fast, not 2 lenses... i rather pay more to have everything in one! ^^
Ok so get an 83 preset, or of you have the bucks a 100/2 preset. Fast and round aperture so nice bokeh at all stops

It is just about options.
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
You asked for fast or other lenses with nice bokeh. Presets offer that stopped down
Ok so get an 83 preset, or of you have the bucks a 100/2 preset. Fast and round aperture so nice bokeh at all stops

It is just about options.
i hope i didn't sound ungrateful, i am grateful for all advice...
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Ricoh has owned Pentax for the last two years or so...
i'm sorry... I don't know the history then... ^^;;
10-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Pentaxian

i hope i didn't sound ungrateful, i am grateful for all the advise
No problem, but just to add a little more advise, longer lenses add nicer bokeh as a rule, because the perpective is different and background out of focus items are larger relative to the size of the same objects when shooting a principle subject (with same magnification or image size on the frame as with the longer lens) due to the change in perspective. As a result the background generally forms soft big blobs of color, not small fuzzy points.

Do an experiment using a 35, a 50 and something in the 100+ range of a subject 10-15 feet in front of a bush. Keep the subject always at head and shoulder shot, an move back with each longer lens. You'll get the idea
10-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
No problem, but just to add a little more advise, longer lenses add nicer bokeh as a rule, because the perpective is different and background out of focus items are larger relative to the size of the same objects when shooting a principle subject (with same magnification or image size on the frame as with the longer lens) due to the change in perspective. As a result the background generally forms soft big blobs of color, not small fuzzy points.

Do an experiment using a 35, a 50 and something in the 100+ range of a subject 10-15 feet in front of a bush. Keep the subject always at head and shoulder shot, an move back with each longer lens. You'll get the idea
thank you for pointing that out, I already know... DOF depends on aperture, distance to subject, distance of subject from the background, and focal length... the focal length is the thing i least think about so thank you for reminding me it has a big impact ^^ I'm pretty much decided on the da*50/1.4 and the rokinon/vivitar/samyang M-P 85/1.4 aspherical... and i would also like to get the 50/1.2 (because it cheap... compared to lenses that are f/1 or f/0.95 (there are some that are not over $1000 but not for pentax...) but i still feel something is missing... here is what I want: I want aperture not slower than 1.4 for both longer range (1-15/20/25... meters away) and shorter range (portrait/closeup range for which i chose 50 but i don't know if 50 or 30 is better... but in portraits distortion is not acceptable so i think 50 is better ) i want to use the lenses in low light mostly so the aperture is very important... and someone said "useable 1.4" that is also important, it has to be effective and possibility to focus accurately and look good wide open... but also the bokeh has to be nice (and not just wide open... my 50/1.7 has ugly bokeh @2.8 and above, that is not acceptable...) for now i mostly think about taking photos (or video) of people... but if there was a da* 50/1.4 that was also a macro lens i would be happy... or something can convert it to 0cm (or 1cm or 2cm...) macro lens... I don know much about converters... i used to have a canon with a 0cm closest distance macro zoom lens, I really liked using it... i don normally do macro but if i have a macro lens i can really enjoy it