Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Adapter for using Nikon mount lens on my K7/K5 II

Hi,

new to the forum.

Just picked up my nice new K5 II....very impressed.

I have some great old Nikon lenses in storage...was planning to sell them, but thought that if I could get an adapter for them to fit on my Pentax bodies, I would keep a couple of them...particularly a lovely Tamron 500 mm Cat lens.

I have searched the forum regarding this, and either I am not searching correctly, or there has not been a discussion on this.

I know that adapters are out there to do this....I am just wondering if any of you have had experience with such and would be able to say that this would work out...or...if the end results are not (optically) that good.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

7 years Pentax digital user.

10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by screwmountdude Quote
Hi,

new to the forum.

I have some great old Nikon lenses in storage...was planning to sell them, but thought that if I could get an adapter for them to fit on my Pentax bodies, I would keep a couple of them...particularly a lovely Tamron 500 mm Cat lens.

I have searched the forum regarding this, and either I am not searching correctly, or there has not been a discussion on this.

I know that adapters are out there to do this....I am just wondering if any of you have had experience with such and would be able to say that this would work out...or...if the end results are not (optically) that good.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

There are plenty of threads about it, but unfortunately Nikon lenses can't be used on Pentax due to a different registration distance. They wouldn't be able to focus to infinity.

Some companies make "corrective" adapters, but I don't recommend even bothering with that as it will ruin your image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 10-10-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added info
10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can mount you Nikon lenses directly to your new Pentax camera. They have almost the same mount.

They will not lock in place but the fit is quite tight. Lenses will have to be used on manual.

Better bet is to sell the and buy some Pentax K=mount lenses,

Regards

Chris
10-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

I would be surprised if an old Tamron 500mm was directly Nikon F mount. Odds are high that it has either a T-mount or an Adaptall mount. If it's one of those, it's trivial to switch to Pentax (although K-mount Adapatalls can be tough to find for what I would consider a reasonable price).

I have seen a thread or two on here about how to convert a Nikon lens to K-mount, but you have to be willing to open them up and use power tools (like a dremel).

10-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an optically corrected Nikon to PK mount which acts like a 1.25 teleconverter. It is pretty soft wide open but not bad stopped down.

I bought a nice Nikor-H 300/4.5 cheap and put a screw mount on it that'd way I can use it without the adaptor and retain maximum optical quality and infinity focus without increase in apparent focal length
10-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There are no adapters, but it's fairly easy to convert Nikon manual lenses to K mount. Just remove Nikon mount, replace it with K mount. Lens will likely to focus beyond infinity and MFD will increase. To fix that, you need to get some washers (1-2mm depending on mount thickness) and longer screws. You also might have to get K mount drilled to align the screws. If you like I can post pictures of my 28/2 AI.

Yusuf

Hi,

new to the forum.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

10-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Banned

There are two ways to put old Nikon lenses on Pentax.

You can turn your lens 180 degrees or so and just put it on your cameramount, but it won't de safe to hang on your camera. It will work that way. Offcourse you need lenses that have a diafragmaring to adjust the lens, since the camera has no way to communicate with the lens.

The other way is to purchase a connector that puts the Nikon mount on the K-mount. Since the flangsdistances are equal offcourse this will mean that there is glas in it. That Always means some loss in quality. The adapter turns out to be an 1.25x teleconverter, so you will have a different lens. My camera with connector to an expensive Nikonlens wich was only working with closed diafragma at f22.

I had an old Nikkorlens off 300mm/f4.5 that worked out as 375mm/f5.6 manual focus lens.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/104966-sports-justin-hen...-rosmalen.html
Updated it with a new link in the belowpart.

Found one, but maybe some more on internet:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B003EAUBDE