Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

SMC DA50-135 wobbling

Hello!

I have DA50-135, it works fine without SDM issues. It is an old copy, but still the SDM is like new. Strange but true.
There is one thing that worries me though. When I gently shake the lens (no matter what direction), I hear something like knocking, like something is loose inside. Nothing on the lens body is wobbling or loose, but I hear that strange knocking, almost like one of glass elements is loose. Is this normal? Any experiences with that? I red that some people had the same experience with tokina 50-135, pentax's cousin lens.
Is this maybe the reason why the lens shows inconsistency in AF accuracy? Sometimes I lock focus spot on, and sometimes pictures are soft no matter what I do.

10-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most rock solid lens I own. Its been dropped several times from good heights (once from four feet) with no issues.
But the only time the 50-135 has made noise is after its latest fall (three inches) when one of the lens elements finally broke loose.

Personally, it sounds like something might be in need of repair.
If you are sure that the soft photos are not a result of human error, then sadly, it may be the lens.
10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
I thought so...how big the repair can it be? Do you think that putting the lens apart, tightening all components that got loose and putting it back together can be so big repair as changing/repairing SDM motor?
Definitely I will contact the service, but I just want to know approximate costs.
10-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would hate to even guess at costs, but most of my repairs have been about $200-$400. I don't recall what the 50-135 cost to repair for the broken internals, sorry. But I remember it wasn't as much as I had expected... compared to having to get a new lens.

But best to have it sent in and get an actual quote.

If you're really handy and trust what you're doing with lenses, it may be worth looking at.
Personally, if I opened up one of my lenses, I know for a fact it would never go back together properly.
Not worth the risk, time and effort for me.