Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #1

lens filters

I have an old Pentax 35 mm film camera. I have several colored lens filters that I would like to use on my Pentax K-5 lenses. Is there an adapter ring our there I can purchase that will make them work?

10-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the filters are the type that screw on to the front of the lens, then you can screw them on to digital camera lenses. For example, a filter that fits a M 50/1.7 will also fit the FA 50/1.4. The thread diameter should be on the filter somewhere. Coloured filters are generally not necessary with digital though, as you can do much more in post processing. But graduated filters can be useful particularly if you are trying to balance bright sky and darker foreground. Just be aware that filters for film cameras do not always give the best results on digital. But then, it costs very little to try them on digital and see how they perform.
10-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The short answers probably yes, give us little more info and we'll be able to hopefully give you a better answers.
10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Coloured filters like yellow;yellow/green;orange were used on film cameras when shooting black and white images. For example yellow will darken the sky and so it will have greater contrast with clouds. I am not sure they have any purpose on digital cameras where the sensor works in a different way to b+w film, and the software available to tweak your final image is equivalent to a couple of centuries of time in the darkroom.