Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm sorry, it is not speculation to say SDM failure on specific Pentax lenses is outside what is considered normal. And since there is no specific point in time, serial number or other confirmation that you are getting a "good" SDM lens, it's not worth the risk to me. I don't live next door to a Pentax repair facility. Sending a lens off to another country for repair and dealing with customs and resulting paperwork is just not worth it.

There are too many reports of lenses only a few months old with dead SDM motors, and people whose lenses have been at repair facilities for MONTHS, still awaiting parts. Is Pentax paying customers for the time that they cannot use their lenses, because they are waiting for parts to repair a lens? If it's my primary lens, am I just supposed to stop photographing?

It's interesting you bring up motor failure rates in the industry, but the problem is that no lens manufacturer will publish them. Would be nice though.

My concerns are nothing to do with AF speed... I don't photograph sports or BIF so I could really care less about having the absolute fastest AF performance. All I want is AF that locks on to a subject with a decent speed and accuracy and something quieter than screwdrive. Any relative speed differences between screwdrive on a new body vs. my K-5 are irrelevant to me.

I won't comment any more on this matter, and I won't be buying any lenses with the current SDM system. I don't intend to piss off anyone, but it really bugs me when someone implies "there is no problem", when clearly there is a problem.
If I were you I wouldn't be buying any lens that uses a built in electrical motor for AF, whoever made it, it's going to fail eventually. With screw drive being so rock solid dependable and Pentax's being the best in the industry,(according to lensrentals) if that's what is important to you.. stick with that. Unlike lenses, you expect to upgrade your camera body every few years, which gives you a brand new lens motor, with every body. If the body fails you can still use the lens with your backup camera and have it work perfectly.

10-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
All I want is AF that locks on to a subject with a decent speed and accuracy and something quieter than screwdrive.
What if screwdrive was suddenly better? Like both quieter and a little quicker, as is supposedly the case with the K-3?