Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
i am using a k-5 IIs. no lenses i have ever used with it needed any af adjustment. the thing shoots great as is.
Which does not mean at all that your DA21 has a problem. The fact that the manufacturing tolerances of your body and lens are not perfectly matched does not imply a problem with either.

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
The DA 21 is not one of the sharpest lenses but acceptable sharp
I disagree with that comment. The DA21 is a really sharp lens. It might not be AS SHARP as other limiteds but it is sharper than most non DA* or limited lenses. It also has great contrast and saturation results, which increase the feeling of sharpness.

Regarding the original question, I cannot open the DNG files at work, but looking at the images you posted afterwards, they look fine to me. The colours are superb, they seem sharp (the tree might be oversharpened?). The lack of an AA filter might play a role indeed, with my K20D I've never had any issue with that lens, it's one of my favourite, a lens with personality!

10-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Focus adjustments won't be the culprit, given that you already said you shot live view. Live view doesn't rely on PDAF focus.

I think there are two culprits here:
1. Expecting the depth of field to be much deeper with a wide angle lens, when it's not. Looking at the first image, you can see a few ducks are in perfect focus and the rest of the image isn't.
2. Looks like a loss of contrast. Setting colour mode to Bright seemed to make a difference to contrast, but I expect there may have been a bit of haze in the air. A circular polariser would have helped too. Shooting landscape with that much 'air' between you and the subject means there effect of the air movement and haze will affect sharpness of the photo. So not a fair test. Shoot again in the early morning before the air heats up.
the hood is always on.
well the weather outside is around +5 to +10 celcius. around zero in the morning so the air is not that hot i suppose.
10-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Which does not mean at all that your DA21 has a problem. The fact that the manufacturing tolerances of your body and lens are not perfectly matched does not imply a problem with either.

I disagree with that comment. The DA21 is a really sharp lens. It might not be AS SHARP as other limiteds but it is sharper than most non DA* or limited lenses. It also has great contrast and saturation results, which increase the feeling of sharpness.

Regarding the original question, I cannot open the DNG files at work, but looking at the images you posted afterwards, they look fine to me. The colours are superb, they seem sharp (the tree might be oversharpened?). The lack of an AA filter might play a role indeed, with my K20D I've never had any issue with that lens, it's one of my favourite, a lens with personality!
those shots are the ones i have PP.
it does seem that the lack of AA filter might actually not benefit the landscape photography but i will need to double-check with others using it for that same purpose.
10-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I just sold a '21 and the buyer is also having the same problem with his 'IIs.
i am actually the buyer)))
just wanted to compare my shots to the rest of the crew.
started raining again here so i will have to hang on before i can resume my shooting.

10-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

it does seem that the lack of AA filter might actually not benefit the landscape photography but i will need to double-check with others using it for that same purpose.
I know that increased resolution is not always without its problems. People on the Nikon forums are going crazy panicking about their new 24 MP camera (D7200 I think). Suddenly their lenses seem of poor quality, when images are seen at 100%.

Maybe Pentax were right to update their Limited lineup, with the K-3 the lenses might again be the limiting factor in many situations.
10-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens more than any other lens needs to be used with a feel for when it will and won't work.

Maybe sharpness isn't it's biggest attribute, but there are lot's of images where absoltue sharpness is not essential, and for those shots it excels.

It's strength is smooth rendition, more than razor sharpness. I've never had a problem with mine.

21_ltd Photos by Norm_Head | Photobucket

Last edited by normhead; 10-16-2013 at 08:28 AM.
10-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did a bit of testing at home which was basically to shoot a scene via live view, then normally and compare the images. Then adjust the af to match the shot to a live view one. We'll out of all my lenses the da 21 was the only one needing any af adjustment. It needs +10. That might have been the issue. More shooting in the wild to come!

10-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Good luck....
10-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This lens more than any other lens needs to be used with a feel for when it will and won't work.
Maybe sharpness isn't it's biggest attribute, but there are lot's of images where absoltue sharpness is not essential, and for those shots it excels.
It's strength is smooth rendition, more than razor sharpness. I've never had a problem with mine.
I'd fully agree with that. It especially likes sneaky people shots.
But it is not too bad with trees, buildings and just about anything else, except that distance seems to frighten it sometimes

Go out and take some shots, your copy is perfectly fine.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 10-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

i am actually the buyer)))
just wanted to compare my shots to the rest of the crew.
started raining again here so i will have to hang on before i can resume my shooting.
What's up? I love digital, but analog was so much simpler.
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks a lot for your help guys.
once again this forum proves to be the friendliest out there for sure!!!
i'd like to finish off with a little set of photos by the da 21 to show it's versatility the way i see it
oh and definitely found the sweet spot of my copy.
hope you like it

Last edited by racingsnake; 10-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.
10-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Awesome, I don't why I find it distressing when something isn't working to potential, but I do. Love the pictures.
10-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

i'd like to finish off with a little set of photos by the da 21 to show it's versatility the way i see it
hope you like it
Great shots - told you that there was nothing wrong with your DA21
10-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Pentaxian

hope you like it

So what is the sweet spot? F 6.7 ?
10-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Great shots - told you that there was nothing wrong with your DA21
Why are you always right? It's so uncanny it's downright scary!