Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Rentals - Bad Times with Bad Filters

Yes, this is about Canon lenses - one model in particular. That said, I thought that it was an interesting story about a lens and cheap filters - in particular something that I really never thought about or considered. The filter - scratching the front lens element.
QuoteQuote:
Here at Lensrentals we see lenses come back with scratched front elements every so often. Not a big deal, it happens. But since the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 Mk II lens came out we’ve seen a whole lot of them come back with scratched front elements. The weird thing was it was always in the center of the lens and often circular in pattern like the one below. (Ignore the dust, this front element had been taken out for replacement and sat on my desk for an hour before we took the picture.)

10-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Forum Member

Interesting read. I don't use UV-Filters any more (not because of this read, but since a long time now).
10-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yeah, I don´t use them either. Though I do take one with me to the mountain in case weather gets crazy
10-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use one because to protect the front of the lens. I have a nasty habit of sticking my fingers onto the glass, and I'm old enough to suspect I'm not going to change. I'd much rather be cleaning then eventually throwing out filters, than cleaning and eventually throwing out lenses.

I guess you guys don't have this problem. Lenses like my Sigma 8-16 scare me, I know sooner or latter one of my smudgy finger prints is going to have to be cleaned off of it.

10-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

I use a UV filter on my kx. CHEAP insurance from my view. Just an amature so what do I know?
10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is a very real hazard for lenses that take large diameter filters and which have shallow faces (i.e. most fast zooms). The solution? Take particular care when mounting the filter.

Steve