Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #1

Pentax 50mm Macro Lens Problems

I purchaed the 50mm macro last week.After taking a few frames with it, I was'nt pleaed with the results; i expected them to be much more sharper.I'm getting advice on how to improve them my changing the camera settigns etc. but having done that the photo's arn't much better.

Has anyone got this lens, and what are your're experience with it.If i don't get any better results I may return it if I can, and get a different one

My camera is a Samsung GX10 - Clone of the Pntax K10D

Nathan

03-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's better if you let us know which pentax 50 macro you're talking about. However, it's a surprise to see a macro turns out to be a poor performer. Keep in mind that at high magnification, the DOF is thin so focus work is very critical to achieve desirable sharpness.
03-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Its the pentax 50mm f/2.8 macro lens.I know every Photo I've seen is super sharp, it may just be me but I'm not sure.

Nathan
03-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
What do you think i should do. return it? It's just that i only have 2 days to return it and i think they will give me a refund if im not happy with it.

If i was to return it, which lens would be better, but still in the 300 price range.Brands are not an issue.

Nathan

03-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are 4 version of the 50/2.8, so which one do you have? At what aperture are you taking these shots? Try to shoot some at f/5.6 or f/8, if the result is still soft, then it's the lens. If it's tack sharp, then you might need to bracket focus at wide open. FYI, at 1:1, the DOF is a little smaller than 2mm at f/2.5.
03-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
this is where i got it from:http ://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=22641
This is the latest shot i have taken, and its at 5.6 shutter Priority.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
03-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try using a tripod and take a picture again with the 2sec delay? you are taking picture indoor? it maybe just the motion blur, since when you get that close to the object it is easy to get motion blur unless u got enough light.
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
No I did'nt use a tripod, because i don't yet have one.

aegisphan wrote:If it's tack sharp, then you might need to bracket focus at wide open.

What does this mean, and what is 'tack sharp'

Nathan

03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

tripods are mandatory for macro photography. try taking some pictures at home with the camera on the table and the 2 second delay (which also locks up the mirror)

tack sharp? ... sharp as tacks, which are very sharp?
03-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
Really, i did'nt know the 2 second delay locked up the mirror .

I've just taken some of our african grey parrot and imported into lightroom, went onto 1:1 zoom and the sharpness is really good. even without the zoom its still good.I think this is because i had the Flash on so it showed more details.

Can you tell me if Im allowed to post a link from another forum, I'm new on here, and i want someone to identify a tripod and head if possible.

Thanks

Nathan
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by N.Stocks Quote

I've just taken some of our african grey parrot and imported into lightroom, went onto 1:1 zoom and the sharpness is really good. even without the zoom its still good.I think this is because i had the Flash on so it showed more details.

Can you tell me if Im allowed to post a link from another forum, I'm new on here, and i want someone to identify a tripod and head if possible.

Thanks

Nathan
no problem linking to other sites, not like DPreview :P
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by N.Stocks Quote

Thanks

Nathan
By the way you said it, the problem is very well because of motion blur since flash usually freezes up the motion. Since you do your macro indoor, I think your shutter speed is slow. To overcome the problem, you can increase the iso (though more noise would appear) and/or shoot the picture at wide open. Tripod is also a must in this lighting.

2 sec delay is not necessary at low magnification, but from 1:2 mag. on, you should use it. Turn on SR if you don't tripod; however, remember to turn SR off if a tripod is used. I always shoot in M or Av mode so you can control the DOF of the shot. For shutter speed, I get at least 1/focal length (in your case 1/50s); however, it's better to have twice as fast (1/100 sec).

As for Tripod and Head combination, I would recommend to get an Amvona tripod leg. They're so cheap on eBay (don't go to their website), around $30-$40, and quite sturdy for the job. However, I would recommend you to get a good tripod head, preferably a ball head. Personally, I'm using the Acratech V2. But if it's too costly, you can ask around to get a cheaper alternative.
03-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never used a tripod for any macro work. Unless you are doing really precise stuff under low light, with SR and a decent camera you should be fine. BUT, you'll miss a lot of photos due to the thin DOF and the fact that you're changing distance from the subject.

At the distance you're working, you shouldn't need a tripod or flash. Let it go to iso 1600 and snap away. If you want, do the 2 second delay thing and put the camera on a chair or table.