Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

SLR Lenses On DSLR?

This could be the dumbest question ever but...

I have a Pentax LX body with a few Pentax lenses. If I buy a Pentax DSLR can I use my old lenses with it or do DSLR's never have removeable lenses?

03-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

thats the joy w/ having a Pentax body. It's compatible w/ virtually every lens that's a K-mount. (even some that's not w/ the proper adapter)

and no, pentax dslr bodies are NOT fixed. they are interchangeable.
(most slr's are....)

do a search, and you will find out more about using old manual lenses and dslr bodies...

I have an old Pentax M50, and a Super Takumar Screw Mount.
a bunch also have a nice sized collection of old glass....

Last edited by -=JoN=-; 03-30-2008 at 01:35 PM.
03-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Jon! How do I know whether or not my lenses are K mounts?
03-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If they work on your LX, they will work on any Pentax DSLR. The "K" mount is just the name for the Pentax bayonet mount lenses.

Here is a link to a page with some information you might find helpful.

03-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Terrific! I know this is all old news to you guys but I'm really excited to be getting out the old equipment. My HP digital camera -- ugh -- just gave up the ghost -- lucky me!

Now I'm off to do some pricing.
03-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixed Lens DSLR's

QuoteOriginally posted by Snikkers Quote

I have a Pentax LX body with a few Pentax lenses. If I buy a Pentax DSLR can I use my old lenses with it or do DSLR's never have removeable lenses?
Snikkers: Not a dumb question at all.

There are fixed-lens DSLR's (they have one zoom lens permanently attached, but have all the control features of a DSLR) such as the 5Mp Olympus E20n that I had - quite good in its day.

There are interchangeable-lens DSLR's that are digital versions of traditional film camera bodies, such as the current series of Pentax DSLR's.

Many DSLR manufacturers used the change to digital as an opportunity to require an entirely new set of lenses for their cameras, and orphaned the entire base of film lenses their loyal users had accumulated over the years.

Pentax intentionally designed their DSLR's to accept virtually any lens they have ever manufactured, either directly onto the body using bayonet-style K Mount lenses, or with an adapter, even the pre-1975 screwmount lenses.

You will certainly have a limited feature set and less automation with your older lenses, but you can take exceedingly fine photographs with manual lenses and a Pentax digital body, once you learn the technique to operate it manually.
03-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Forum Member

*ALL* DSLRs ever made (to my knowledge) have removable lenses. Pentax has been very good at backwards-compatibility... any lens that worked on a Pentax film SLR will work on a Pentax DSLR (though auto-metering is limited for the very oldest lenses, the M and K series).

The great thing about SLRs is that--compared to compact cameras--the digital versions haven't changed things much. A DSLR is not really very different from a modern fully-automated film SLR, except that there's a sensor instead of film. Also Pentax's APS-C sized image sensors are smaller than a 35mm negative, which effectively increases the focal length of your lenses by 1.5X... so your 50mm lens will have the view of a 75mm lens on a DSLR.

Hope that helps!
03-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you! Yes, this is very helpful information. I went in to Future Shop today to have a look at the Pentax K100 -- fine looking piece of equipment. I see what you mean when you say that things really haven't changed much from an SLR to a DSLR.

If I do purchase this body, what digital lens do you guys recommend I purchase with it?

03-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

Thank you! Yes, this is very helpful information. I went in to Future Shop today to have a look at the Pentax K100 -- fine looking piece of equipment. I see what you mean when you say that things really haven't changed much from an SLR to a DSLR.

If I do purchase this body, what digital lens do you guys recommend I purchase with it?
I'd get the kit lens (18-55 DA f/4-5.6). Why?

1. Cheap (kit is only about $50-100 more with the lens), but well-built, quick-shift MF/AF focus, and decent image quality!
2. You probably don't have any other truly wide-angle lenses for the DSLR already... remember that a 28mm lens will function like a 42mm lens on the DSLR.

Of course, if you have more to spend... the Pentax 16-45 f/4 ($400-ish), 16-50 f/2.8 ($700-ish), Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 ($400-ish), and others have been well-received too. Check the meticulous lens reviews at Photozone.de I myself am in the market for one of these upgrade standard zooms, mainly for low-light use.

ALSO: get the K100D-Super rather than the original K100D. The store may push you on the older one because they're trying to get rid of 'em. The Super has three advantages: (1) dust reduction system, (2) improved AF system, (3) works with SDM lenses, those with built-in motors... they are clearly the future of Pentax lenses. And I would suggest buy online, or ask them to price-match the excellent online prices for the K100D Super kit.

Last edited by moxfyre; 04-01-2008 at 11:29 PM.
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I second getting the K100D. If'n you're a patient one, the new pentax 17-70 *should* be out soon, and it has the SDM motor in it. This provides quieter focusing, and some have said that it is faster as well.
PS: Welcome to the forums!
04-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I second getting the K100D. If'n you're a patient one, the new pentax 17-70 *should* be out soon, and it has the SDM motor in it. This provides quieter focusing, and some have said that it is faster as well.
PS: Welcome to the forums!
Right. That would be a good reason to get the K100D Super. The original K100D doesn't support SDM lenses
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right *smacks head on desk* that's what I meant to say. I need more sleep...
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Right *smacks head on desk* that's what I meant to say. I need more sleep...
It's all good Blame Pentax for the confusingly similar model names. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't get the wrong one and expect the wrong features...
04-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moxfyre Quote
The Super has three advantages: ... (2) improved AF system ...
Any info on how it was improved?
Thanks.
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Any info on how it was improved?
Thanks.
None that doesn't come from a Pentax press release, I'm afraid... apparently the K100D Super uses the "SAFOX VII" autofocus system, whereas the K100D used... something else.

Probably not enough of a real world improvement to worry about. But the dust reduction, and SDM lens support, are definitely significant.