Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Carl Zeiss 50mm bent

Hi,
What is your opinion about CZJ Tessar 50-2.8? I bought it from eBay for a fair price however it arrived with a very slight bent, barely noticable on the focus ring which makes front element move so difficult while focusing.
I read good comments about it but does it worth to buy $60 tool to fix the bent?
Or anyone has any practical idea to make it perfectly round again with spending more money???
Thanks,
Murat

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9300  Photo 
10-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Definitely not worth it. Not so much because it's a bad lens, but because they are plentiful and can be had for a lot less.
Is this m42-screwmount or praktica-b?
10-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is very sad! The Tessar is a nice little lens, very sharp and with good colour rendition (I have two of them although mine are the older "zebra" variety. I am still trying to work out if one is better than the other.). As PLC3 says, the tool would potentially cost more than another lens. But you could try dismantling it and doing the repair without the tool. This site - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (M42 mount) Servicing - has the instructions. I find the Tessars are a bit stiff to focus anyway. Both mine turn more easily from infinity to minimum focus than minimum out to infinity. Unfortunately they are not the kind of thing you can just spray a bit of WD-40 into.
10-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Send it back as 'not as described'. These lenses are cheap and plentiful. Don't be fooled by the 'Zeiss' name; CZJ was the 'poor relative' in East Germany.

10-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Send it back as 'not as described'. These lenses are cheap and plentiful. Don't be fooled by the 'Zeiss' name; CZJ was the 'poor relative' in East Germany.
Indeed, the Tessar is plentiful and cheap, but CZJ is hardly the poor relative. For sure the history of the various firms doing business under the Zeiss name is a bit convoluted, but the Jena entity produced highly respected world-class optics* at the site of the pre-WWII Zeiss works. Many of these lenses are still highly sought after today. A good example might be the CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8 which is hard to come by and generally sells in the $600+ range. Ditto for the Flektogon 20/4 and 20/2.8.

Steve

The only qualifier I might give is in regards to the so-called "British" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The story I heard was that the British importers for CZJ at the time owned the Carl Zeiss Jena name for that market. That importer was able to source lenses from various makers in Japan that were sold labeled as Carl Zeiss Jena in Britain. So, if you see a made in Japan CZJ lens, it is not true CZJ and not even a "poor relative".
10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you guys. I will be honest I bought the lens out of curiosity because of few good comments I read. However, the replies I got here surprised a bit. Anyways, I will attack the lens with the guidelines from the link PJ1 posted (thanks for that as well) to see if I can fix that tiny little bent.
I anyway consider buying one of these tools, thinking that I may come across more of problematic lenses since I am an eBayer. What do you think of these two? Anyone ever used any tools like them?
This one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221207427095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4374wt_1018
Or
Asymetric ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181052110441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3063wt_1018

Murat
10-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let me know how it goes, Murat. I hope the operation is successful!
Peter