Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

Da l 55-300

Hello there, I was hoping to get some help here, I've been reading most reviews about the DA L 55-300mm lens and they all seem to be super good.

I have this lens along with a DA 18-135mm WR on a K30, But I can't seem to get nice sharp pics with the 55-300mm.

Now, after reading the reviews I have to believe it's my fault, because when i compare my photos taken with the 55-300 with the 18-135 i find a big difference on detail and focus. Is there any suggestions about this matter any one could give? i've been trying with a tripod lately and still I can't seem to find similar results..I could be a complete ignorant about this matter, but I could use some help on how to get a sharper and more focus photo with this lens.

Thanks a lot!

10-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the images are blurry utilizing a slow focal length it makes me wonder if you might need to apply the AF Fine Adjustment on your camera. Since I don't own this lens I can't say for sure. My DA 21 required a plus 10 to look decent.
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA L 55-300 generally gets good marks because it is an excellent lens for the price. So if you are not getting good images there are a few things to try.

• What shutter speed are the pictures taken at? Even on a tripod a 300mm lens will introduce shake unless it is a really rock solid tripod with no wind. Make sure the shutter speed is at least 1/300 or faster.
  • Are you using a hood? The DA L model does not come with one, but IMHO it is a requirement for good images with that lens.
  • Set up on a tripod and take some sample pictures with the lens at about 70mm, you should have no problem getting sharp images with that focal length and this reduces the shake caused by longer focal lengths.
  • If you cannot get a good image at 70mm then you should look into AF fine tuning. It's possible the lens needs an adjustment for your camera
10-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If the images are blurry utilizing a slow focal length it makes me wonder if you might need to apply the AF Fine Adjustment on your camera. Since I don't own this lens I can't say for sure. My DA 21 required a plus 10 to look decent.
Thanks for your help, I've been trying different S. speeds ad with or without the hood, it does make a different, also been trying to adjust the AF Fine tuning, still trying to figure that out. All of you tips have been really helpful, i'll keep on trying to get decent quality, but i'm getting the idea on how to gt the most of it now thanks to the forum. Thanks again.

10-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wide open it isn't that good. Set your aperture to F8 and you will notice a difference.
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're not familiar with the longer focal length lens you'll be very surprised at how critical a steady camera, Depth of Field, focus techniques and attention to shutter speed becomes above about 135mm.

Proof your lens/body to gain confidence in your gear by sand-bagging the camera on a very solid surface and shooting well focused scenes at various apertures and focal lengths. Use ISO's as necessary to keep shutter speeds near the focal length, etc, 1/250 or more at FL 300mm.

If you find sharpness but not at your intended target, a focus adjustment in the camera may be indicated or focus technique/method may need attention. If nothing is sharp at F 8 and 1/500th sec you may have a lens issue.