Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens repair nightmare

I am writing this episode to make clear how helpless one can get if you do business remotely w/o personally knowing your party.

Some months ago my wife bought me as an anniversary present a Pentax A* 85mm, f1.4 lens. As it turned out, the lens had some issues not taking sharp pictures below f 4.0. How could my wife know since she is not into photography and lens was bought approx. 2 months before our anniversary.

First move was sending it to Eric to have it checked over. His finding was that the rear lens group had an issue and he was not able to fix it.
After some fact finding I found a reputable outfit in Colorado, not Pentax ,and I sent the lens to have it checked out. I was informed, the lens element can be reworked and it will cost me approx. $ 300.- which I went for.

Sometime later I got the lens back and all seemed to be OK and rear lens group looked like new.When I took some test shots I still had some slightly unsharp pictures when going below f 2.8 .
I started to take the front lens group apart and used a flash light and was able to see some sort of fungus on front element glass.
After asking by email, once more I sent just the front lens group to the reputable outfit in Colorado to have it evaluated.

After 1 week or so not hearing back, I dropped a email to see how things are going. Next thing was a reprimanding email; why I sent the lens group with the lens glass inquestion not installed, he only likes to see complete units. After some more going back and forward, I was finally informed the issue is slight fungus under the coating and he will be able to repair and re-coat the front lens glass foranother $295.-, which I accepted.

6 weeks later I was informed entire front lens group is on the way back to me. Fully enthusiastic I opened the box, very well packed, and started to unwrap the lens group. First Ithought this is a joke but the lens element in question was missing. I took a picture of the partial received front lens group.

Since I was aware that the owner of the reputable outfit in Colorado was on vacation for 2 weeks, I sent an email 1 week later with picture, asking him; did he possibly misplace or forget to send me recoated lens glass.
He very promptly replayed to my email once more in a very reprimanding way :

“I don’t know where your front glass is. That is the reason I never should accept disassembled components.I specifically recall, installing your lens glass. The picture does not help since I cannot see the lens glass”. Wow what a smart reply.

I wrote him back nicely, w/o any sarcasm, to check once more in his work shop or possible by outside vendor, but sadly no response at all.

So after all this said, it seems it is my fault to send him 3 loose pieces, lens element housing,mounting ring and glass in question. In his opinion he legitimately does not have to follow up and try to resolve this issue at all. I am surprised he does not blame it on USPS which secretly removed the glass while in transition.

I assume it is what it is. I ended-up with a very expensive “Paper Weight” and chances to find a replacement front lens glass in good condition is almost like hitting the jackpot in Mega Millions.
P.S.: my wife is ready to go on a trip to Colorado and set the record straight with the owner of this very professional and reputable outfit in Colorado. Maybe I can take some funny gray shots with my A* 85.

Last edited by Swissidoodle; 10-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.
10-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a nightmare. He should at least refund you some of if not all the money.
10-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Thank you for writing this. After reading this, if I need my lenses repaired, I will only take them to the store personally, and tell them to fix it while I wait in their store, or not at all. I hope that way nothing bad can happen.
10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go ask the person your wife bought the lens from in the first place, for a partial refund. Unless she was told it had issues and got it at a cheap proce.

Phil.

10-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Why not post the shop information? It could save someone from being in a similar situation.
10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would go ask the person your wife bought the lens from in the first place, for a partial refund. Unless she was told it had issues and got it at a cheap proce.

Phil.
My wife found this lens on an Estate Sale and one buys goods “as is”.

Last edited by Swissidoodle; 10-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.
10-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Why not post the shop information? It could save someone from being in a similar situation.
For the moment I am not out for revenge and publically trashing that place.
The reason I wrote this episode is just to get it off my chest. Further it does not get me my glass back.

If you are really curious ,Google might help.

10-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's a terrible story, and I hope if he finds the element he will have the integrity to send it to you with an apology.
10-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swissidoodle Quote
I am writing this episode to make clear how helpless one can get if you do business remotely w/o personally knowing your party.

Some months ago my wife bought me as an anniversary present a Pentax A* 85mm, f1.4 lens. As it turned out, the lens had some issues not taking sharp pictures below f 4.0. How could my wife know since she is not into photography and lens was bought approx. 2 months before our anniversary.

First move was sending it to Eric to have it checked over. His finding was that the rear lens group had an issue and he was not able to fix it.
After some fact finding I found a reputable outfit in Colorado, not Pentax ,and I sent the lens to have it checked out. I was informed, the lens element can be reworked and it will cost me approx. $ 300.- which I went for.

Sometime later I got the lens back and all seemed to be OK and rear lens group looked like new.When I took some test shots I still had some slightly unsharp pictures when going below f 2.8 .
I started to take the front lens group apart and used a flash light and was able to see some sort of fungus on front element glass.
After asking by email, once more I sent just the front lens group to the reputable outfit in Colorado to have it evaluated.

After 1 week or so not hearing back, I dropped a email to see how things are going. Next thing was a reprimanding email; why I sent the lens group with the lens glass inquestion not installed, he only likes to see complete units. After some more going back and forward, I was finally informed the issue is slight fungus under the coating and he will be able to repair and re-coat the front lens glass foranother $295.-, which I accepted.

6 weeks later I was informed entire front lens group is on the way back to me. Fully enthusiastic I opened the box, very well packed, and started to unwrap the lens group. First Ithought this is a joke but the lens element in question was missing. I took a picture of the partial received front lens group.

Since I was aware that the owner of the reputable outfit in Colorado was on vacation for 2 weeks, I sent an email 1 week later with picture, asking him; did he possibly misplace or forget to send me recoated lens glass.
He very promptly replayed to my email once more in a very reprimanding way :

“I don’t know where your front glass is. That is the reason I never should accept disassembled components.I specifically recall, installing your lens glass. The picture does not help since I cannot see the lens glass”. Wow what a smart reply.

I wrote him back nicely, w/o any sarcasm, to check once more in his work shop or possible by outside vendor, but sadly no response at all.

So after all this said, it seems it is my fault to send him 3 loose pieces, lens element housing,mounting ring and glass in question. In his opinion he legitimately does not have to follow up and try to resolve this issue at all. I am surprised he does not blame it on USPS which secretly removed the glass while in transition.

I assume it is what it is. I ended-up with a very expensive “Paper Weight” and chances to find a replacement front lens glass in good condition is almost like hitting the jackpot in Mega Millions.
P.S.: my wife is ready to go on a trip to Colorado and set the record straight with the owner of this very professional and reputable outfit in Colorado. Maybe I can take some funny gray shots with my A* 85.
Write the BBB (better business bureau) and fully explain to them your problem. They will act upon your writing and call them and or write them. If the owner can not seem to find the lens he will have a negative mark for all to see at the BBB. If he finds it and resolves this issue, it will be noted. Your going to have to use more force. You can take him to small claims court if you have a receipt of the sending bill that shows the weight or other proof you sent it. You have his emails. You have a chance. He does admit he does not know. But also says he did not like the way you sent it. Put the heat on.
10-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think you should post the name of person (and company) here, so I don't send my lenses.
Of course, I will be a nice guy, and won't mention your experience.
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

oh my.... spend ~$600 and end up with missing parts... I feel your pain!

I am on my way sending in my FA*85 for PENTAX repair to take a look. finger crossed.
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
oh my.... spend ~$600 and end up with missing parts... I feel your pain!

I am on my way sending in my FA*85 for PENTAX repair to take a look. finger crossed.
I am sure Pentax will not goof off and they will stand-up to their mistakes
10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I think you should post the name of person (and company) here, so I don't send my lenses.
Of course, I will be a nice guy, and won't mention your experience.
I will try to reason once more with this company and when no satisfying outcome I will inform accordingly.
10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

In the USA customers are way safer against such things than in Italy, and I wish you all the best, but for sure those "pirates" shouldn't behave the way you described!

Last edited by seppstefano; 10-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.
10-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #15

Don't reason my advice hit facebook and splatter it about all over their page. Use that as a stick to beat them with..trust me it will work, but keep posting until they cave it. Trust me they will

Last edited by Mr Spocko; 10-27-2013 at 10:53 AM.