Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 100mm macro WR vs Non-WR

Been shopping around for a good macro, and ive noticed something odd. The smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR is less expensive than the NON-WR smc PENTAX D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro.

Anyone know why this is?

10-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Been shopping around for a good macro, and ive noticed something odd. The smc PENTAX D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR is less expensive than the NON-WR smc PENTAX D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro.

Anyone know why this is?
The non-WR macro has been discontinued for a while, and I believe there's currently a rebate on the WR version, so a store still listing the old lens at MAP pricing may actually end up charging more for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If given a choice and equal cost, I would choose the WR version. Big difference is the WR and the rounded aperture blades, which can produce a little nicer bokeh. Otherwise they're the same lens.
10-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

i thought the non wr version can be used with telecoverter?

10-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

i thought the non wr version can be used with teleconverter?
10-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kswong_00 Quote
It will depend on the TC, but a TC without any external optical element will work. Wether images will be good or not is another matter.

If prices are similar, I'd go with the WR in a hearbeat. Better made, smaller, metal, WR, a much better choice.
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

doesn't the WR also have rounded aperture blades as well?

10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
doesn't the WR also have rounded aperture blades as well?
Yes it does.
10-23-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kswong_00 Quote
That's a good point - the old version has an aperture ring, so it's easier to use with extension tubes or TCs without contacts.
10-23-2013, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I own the D FA 100, pre WR, and my impression from image examples is that the WR is better -- mostly in the area of CA/PF. Of course, there's also the WR. If I were in the market for a 100mm dedicated Macro, the WR version would be a no brainer.

I originally chose the D FA for its weight since I like to shoot macro handheld with flash, and the WR version is actually smaller and lighter.

Any macro lens can be used with a TC for added magnification. TCs usually allow slightly closer Minimum Focusing Distances, so the magnification increase can be slightly greater than that stated on the TC (for example, the 1.7x AFA on a 1:1 dedicated macro lens results in about a 1.9:1 mag ratio). Whether the IQ will be satisfactory is up to the quality of the TC, and the skill/technique of the photographer. Any faults in the lens will be magnified by the TC, and any faults in the optics of the TC will probably be obvious. In addition to the mag ratio, the lens will lose effective max aperture directly proportional to the magnification increase. Greater than 1:1 macro photography becomes exponentially more difficult as the magnification increases. Advantages that can be gained with a TC is that with the increased effective FL, one can shoot at 1:1 at a longer working distance. This gives deeper DOF, is possibly less intimidating to live subjects, and gives you a shallower angle for a camera mounted flash.

Just my 2¢

Scott
06-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #11

Hello

Does somebody know, is there is difference in IQ between the DFA 100mm Macro f2.8 (older, 2009) and the newer WR version?
It would be good a comparision or all the info.

Thanks.
Carlos
06-30-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Hello

Does somebody know, is there is difference in IQ between the DFA 100mm Macro f2.8 (older, 2009) and the newer WR version?
It would be good a comparision or all the info.

Thanks.
Carlos
Should be about the same or very similar, which is excellent, since technically both use the same optical formula. However, the older original DFA version is not built nearly as well as the WR version, but it does have the mechanical aperture ring which has the "A" setting, so aperture can be set either on the lens or by the camera body. This fact might be important to some users.

The WR construction is rather unique among macro lenses, being then in the upper league from that standpoint. This can be very useful when shooting closeups under drippy conditions, which can make for some beautiful effects.
06-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA 100 mm f/2.8 non-WR macro : an excellent lens !

07-04-2022, 05:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The WR construction is rather unique among macro lenses, being then in the upper league from that standpoint. This can be very useful when shooting closeups under drippy conditions, which can make for some beautiful effects.
To be fair, Irix also has a WR macro lens, but the size, weight, metal finish of the Pentax 100mm are indeed unique.