Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #16

Original Poster
It appears the whole lens disassembles easily. Guess I'll tinker tomorrow!

10-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
To me especially bark shot looks better - quite good actually - the man it is hard to say if lens was focused properly - rather not I guess - or shaken a bit. Anyway I see a bit of improvement and I think also bokeh looks much more nicer - perhaps thanks to the lens being fully opened..

I would try to approach it again with proper solvent (alcohol ) and plenty of tissue (never reuse it for example - wiped once - then throw ). For $25 lens doesn't look bad at all - still if you can improve anything by cleaning it it's gonna be worth it imho.

cheers

Yeah the man was walking swiftly while I was trying to focus, probably not a great example. I am going to take it completely apart tomorrow and clean with alcohol as per your suggestion, then I'll try again. Thanks
10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

If you process in Lightroom 4 or 5, its auto "remove chromatic aberration" checkbox will noticeably sharpen a lens like that.
10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If you process in Lightroom 4 or 5, its auto "remove chromatic aberration" checkbox will noticeably sharpen a lens like that.
Alas I only have LR3

10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
I am going to take it completely apart tomorrow and clean with alcohol as per your suggestion, then I'll try again. Thanks
Pay attention to the order and way the glass is fitted - from my own costly experience I know how easy it was to mess up and flip the glass elements around or one with another.. even drawing simple diagram will help - or taking plenty of photos during the process. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the results
10-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
For cleaning glass I recommend lighter fluid
I would recommend not using petroleum solvent on a lens. Windex should be fine with a soft cotton cloth to apply and wipe dry. Be gentle and avoid applying pressure.

Steve
10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
Alas I only have LR3
It has manual removal of CA.

Steve
10-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It has manual removal of CA.

Steve
I think LR3 is just a masking of the CA, but LR4 has rescaling of the color layers, so it actually sharpens the image. In any case, it is a definite improvement. The newer technology is post-adding corrections that the lens does not compensate for with its simple optical structure, and now it is (essentially) a BETTER lens than it ever was. It does this for lateral CA only (not purple/green fringing), but on lenses like the ubiquitous cheap 400/6.3s of the era which have a ton of lateral CA, it gets rid of almost all of it and you'll actually see (for instance) illegible text suddenly become sharper and readable when you check the box, especially anywhere other than the rather small center "sweet spot" of such lenses. (You can of course accomplish this with other programs, but usually through a more laborious and manual process. On the newer LRs, there is no reason not to just have it checked by default for all imports and you'll rarely see any kind of lateral CA.)