Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does such a hood exist?

I have a Samsung NX20 and I'm using one of the two available kit lenses, a 20-50mm 3.5-5.6. The lens does not come with a hood, although its 40.5mm filter thread would certainly accept a myriad of 3rd-party hoods; this includes the collapsible rubber type and an all-metal design which mimics a vented hood meant to go with various German optics. I have one of the latter hoods, and there's nothing wrong with its design or usefulness. I would really like an alternative to this, however.

One of the shortcomings of this Samsung lens is that the front element, and therefore the filter thread, rotates during focus. Attaching the vented hood means screwing the hood on and off the lens, and I must say the front portion of the lens rotates rather easily with some force. So I'm basically applying torque to the lens' innards/focus mechanism from the wrong side. I would rather not do this. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 40.5mm clip-on hood like the PH-S49 for Pentax's 28mm/35mm lenses?

The vented hood I have covers the focal length of the lens, but keeping it on the lens full time puts stress on the lens barrel in a similar fashion to what I described earlier. There is a hood meant for the Pentax Q standard prime which is very discreet and does not protrude very far from the front of the lens, although this is expensive and would likely vignette the lens at its wider focal lengths.

...and just because I'm usually making a bigger deal out of something than necessary, I should admit the lens actually performs very, very well where flare is concerned. Incidental light affecting contrast or causing flare doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I'm just one of those people who thinks every lens should have a hood, I suppose.

10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

20-50mm? You mean 18-55mm, right? The lens might have bayonet flanges for a hood (PH RBA 52). If not, it has a filter thread where you can also screw in a hood. I am not certain which fits your camera, because there are some variations of the 18-55mm Pentax lens and they have different ways to attach a hood, if I remember correctly
When it comes to hoods, its best to look on websites like ebay, because getting a brand-name lens hood is hard and expensive, but there are many Chinese knock-offs out there of all kinds of sizes. Or an adjustable rubber hood?

Now, vented hoods look cool, but the reason for those vents is for rangefinder cameras, so the hood isnt in the way as much. For a DSLR, it is a little pointless. Circular hoods or square hoods or petal/crown/tulip shaped hoods should do better. The hood made specifically for that lens is usually the best fit. Keep in mind that 18mm is pretty wide angle, and if a hood is too tight, it will make the edges of the photo at 18mm very dark.

Edit: Oh wait, I assumed you were talking about the Samsung rebranded version of the Pentax 18-55mm lens. If that is not the case, just ignore the parts of this post

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-25-2013 at 02:19 PM.
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The NX series have a 18-55 kit lens with OSS and a smaller 20-50 that is extremely nice for a kit lens!
10-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I've recently picked up a NX1000 with the 20-50 lens for when I need a camera smaller than a dSLR but did not want to give up APS-C sensor quality. Flimsy feeling lens but surprisingly good IQ-wise. Lacks Samsung's iFn button which is no great loss in my mind. The NX1000 is not a bad little camera. Simple control set which is fine for what I want to do with it and displays settings neatly on the rear lcd screen. Had an Oly EPL1 with a massive menu system that could control everything under the sun - drove me mad because for occasional use, I couldn't find the basis stuff. No electronic viewfinder with the NX1000 vs the NX20, but I was prioritising compactness in my purchasing decision.

I have Samsung's excellent 30mm pancake lens on order to make an even more compact setup for travel use. Annoyingly though, that uses a 43mm filter rather than the 40.5mm on the 20-50.

I'd be interested in organising a hood for the 20-50 as well. I have been using a polariser on the NX1000, and have also noted the front element section rotates in and out when turned by hand. Was disconcerting at first. Doesn't appear to be damaging it (so far????) and is unavoidable screwing the polariser on and off. Do need to be conscious of the rotating element changing the behavior of polariser at different focus distances though.

Sample when the polariser was in the right place.

Last edited by southlander; 10-26-2013 at 04:28 AM.
10-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
20-50mm? You mean 18-55mm, right? The lens might have bayonet flanges for a hood (PH RBA 52).
The NX series is the mirrorless Samsung APS-C system and has its own NX mount. No relation to the re-badged Pentax cameras.
10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
When it comes to hoods, its best to look on websites like ebay, because getting a brand-name lens hood is hard and expensive, but there are many Chinese knock-offs out there of all kinds of sizes. Or an adjustable rubber hood?
Yeah, I've scoured eBay quite a bit for something that fits my needs. In fact, that's where the current hood I have came from. Using 40.5mm as a search word gets you tons of the vented hoods, most for anywhere between $5 and $10. There are a few pie-in-the-sky sales for the same knock-off variety asking $45!

Anyway, between the vented hood and collapsible rubber variety, there isn't much else to choose from. I'm not 100% sure since I haven't investigated it fully, but apparently there is a Nikon dedicated hood of sorts for one of the Nikon 1 mirrorless lenses, a 10mm lens which I believe works out to be around 30mm in FF terms. It's similar to one of the screw-on hoods for the Pentax 40mm ltd. - the MH-RC 49 mm. Basically, a slightly conical ring of metal that slants inward towards the center of the lens.

I also have a 30mm f/2 pancake lens for my Samsung NX - a fantastic prime. Amazingly sharp wide open. It uses a similar hood to the one mentioned above, but since the lens doesn't extend or have any moving parts there is no danger of wrecking the mechanics of the lens. For the zoom I'm talking about there's a real danger in leaving anything on it full time, hence the desire of something clip-on.
10-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I've recently picked up a NX1000 with the 20-50 lens for when I need a camera smaller than a dSLR but did not want to give up APS-C sensor quality. Flimsy feeling lens but surprisingly good IQ-wise. Lacks Samsung's iFn button which is no great loss in my mind. The NX1000 is not a bad little camera. Simple control set which is fine for what I want to do with it and displays settings neatly on the rear lcd screen. Had an Oly EPL1 with a massive menu system that could control everything under the sun - drove me mad because for occasional use, I couldn't find the basis stuff. No electronic viewfinder with the NX1000 vs the NX20, but I was prioritising compactness in my purchasing decision.
Hmm, I was under the impression both the original 20-50mm and the "mark II" version both had the iFn button. Mine has that feature and I'm quite sure it's the original. At any rate, yes, the 20-50mm is rather amazing considering how well it performs apart from some pronounced barrel distortion at the wide end. And as we both know, that damn rotating front element. I considered looking for a polarizer for it, but to avoid putting unnecessary torque on the outer element the polarizer would probably need a very loose rotating action - not exactly something one can shop for, and certainly not likely found in the better brands.