Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which mid-tele prime should I get next?
FA 77/1.8 Ltd 4367.19%
M 85/2 46.25%
M 100/2.8 23.13%
Something else 1523.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I'm a fan of doing things right the first time.
I have to agree with nostatic here.

Close your eyes and think of which lens you really want, and buy that one.

It may be expensive, and you may have to sacrifice in other areas to afford it, but you will never regret buying what you really want in the first place.

I can't recommend any of the above lenses, as I don't own any of them.

Good luck in your decision, Heather.

Mike

04-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike and Nostatic,
I think you're right on this one--I need to go with my gut instinct and the gut is telling me to get the 77. After all the fees and such, I figured up that I made $148.01 off my Fleabay sales, which is a nice start to the 77 fund.

Since my 17-70 has a 1:2.3 macro on it, perhaps I should hold off on getting a dedicated macro and play around more with what I already have. I might be able to use the 70-210 to get closeups of insects from a respectable distance.

I know that they're some people that complain that there aren't enough choices in the Pentax lens lineup--I am certainly not one of those.

Heather
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't read everyone else's posts but hands down the 77MM is the best of the lenses above plus the AF has value as well. The 85mm is very nice and sharp lens but the 100mm f2.8 isn't. I had one for awhile and this lens is not one of Pentax's better efforts.

Now reading that last post of yours, The Sigma 105 is a great lens. Sharp and fast. A very good multi purpose lens. It will not focus as fast as other lenses. Even though it has the focus limiter, it's a much heavier lens than a typical prime and will take a little longer to lock focus. The other good choice could be the Tamron 90mm macro. Another lens that owners rave about. Fun huh? These choices can drive you bonkers.
04-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Now reading that last post of yours, The Sigma 105 is a great lens. Sharp and fast. A very good multi purpose lens. It will not focus as fast as other lenses. Even though it has the focus limiter, it's a much heavier lens than a typical prime and will take a little longer to lock focus. The other good choice could be the Tamron 90mm macro. Another lens that owners rave about. Fun huh? These choices can drive you bonkers.
This is one of those times where I wish I was made of money, as I'd go ahead and get the dedicated macro and the 77.

KEH has a Sigma 105/2.8 EX (not the EX DG) for $245 in excellent condition. As much as I want the 77, the thought of being able to get the 105 with Fleabay money and $$$ from my next paycheck (this Fri.) is very tempting. I found some samples on pbase.com and needless to say, I'm impressed.

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Since a new EX DG model costs in the neighborhood of $400, there's a part of me that says I'd be absolutely stupid not to take advantage of this deal, even if it sets me back on getting the 77, even if the 105 is some heavier than the 77.

Since I don't get paid until Friday, I'll have to wait to make a decision. If it's still there on Friday, then I may very well take that as a sign that I need to snatch it up.

I need to go to bed and sleep on it...
Heather (sigh...)

04-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I would go for the 70mm Ltd Lens.

Ben
04-02-2008, 03:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I would go for the 70mm Ltd Lens.

Ben
A Daniel has come to judgement.
04-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Heather: Stay away from that computer! And no one will get hurt :D

Heather add me to the other 77mm lovers. I saved up for 5 months for this lens and every hour of OT I put in on Saturday afternoons in the middle of the summer (and the hours I sat in traffic on the Belt Parkway going home) was worth it. Absolute jem of a lens. A super excellent performer and just a beauty besides. But don't take my word for it. Mike Johnson of "Luminous Landscape" calls it "one of the best AF primes out there...bar none". It was written a while ago, but I doubt there are any newer lenses that are any better. My only problem with it, is that as soon as it's on my K10D it's very hard to get off. "Just one more shot" has become my mantra when this lens is mounted.
Check out the link:
sm-02-05-02

NaCl(you honestly can't go wrong with this lens)H2O
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the vast majority of ya'll have convinced me that I need to get the 77. I would give more consideration to the 70, but it doesn't have an aperture ring, so I can't use it on the K1000, otherwise, it would be in the running. The pics taken with the 77 that I've seen appear to have this really neat special glow to them, especially the portraits. With my Fleabay money and some other funds, I should be 1/3 of the way to a new one by the end of the week.

Frankly, I've gotten tired of buying and selling and buying and selling; I just want to have some quality lenses that my family and friends will have to pry from my cold dead hands. Seriously though, I want these lenses to be the type that I would gladly pass down the line to future generations of my family--since I don't have any kids and don't expect to, I'm hoping that one of my nieces or nephew will catch the photography bug and ask me to leave these lenses to them in my will.

Next after the 77 is a wider angle prime, but that's in another thread. If $850 would suddenly fall in my lap, it would be easy--just go out and get the 31 and be done with it. Even with that, I somehow suspect that won't be quite the end yet, though...that 15 is on the horizon...

Perhaps Pentax will see fit to bring back the lens rebates, as I could use one on the 77 once I actually get ready to buy it, most likely this summer. Right now, they do have a rebate deal going on one of the P&S models, so I hope that Hoya won't eliminate them all together.

Heather

04-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Trust me, get the 70mm, with the $200 or so you save put it toward a 31mm.
04-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only problem with the 70 is that it doesn't have an aperture ring, so I can't use it on the K1000; I really don't envision myself carrying around 2 sets of lenses on vacation if I decide to carry both the digital and film bodies.

I suppose if I really did want to get the 70, then perhaps I can pick up a cheap lightweight constant zoom for the K1000 that would stay on the camera most of the time and have a 3-prime kit for the digital. Of course, when I go on a trip, I will take the digital most, if not all the time and the film, depending on space considerations.

If they'd left the aperture ring on the digital lenses, then my life would be a lot easier.

Heather
04-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Check out the link:
sm-02-05-02
Hey, NaClH2O, thanks for that link.

That was one of the best lens articles I've ever read, and one which makes us all proud that we're Pentaxians!

Mike
04-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Get a reality check on that LBA

As much as I agree with many that the FA77mm or DA70mm would make an excellent choice (I have the FA77), I would actually recommend you hold back buying any more lenses for the moment.

Why? I always believe you should evaluate your existing gear and make a buying decision based on where the gaps and actual photographic needs are. Frankly looking at your signature, you already have 2 lenses that already cover the 70mm focal length. Buying a FA77 just adds another lens that adds to focal length duplication. Buying a 100mm macro may make more sense as it doubles up as a tele and you can also do close-ups.

Since you have recently acquired some new gear, the advise I would give is to use them extensively first before you commit to another lens. Going through an old Pentax Lens & Accessories Manual recently, it actually gave this advice:

Which should I purchase first, a wide angle or a telephoto lens?
Before attempting to make the above decision, it is necessary to use the 50mm or 55mm standard lens for about three months. After this period, it will become clear to you which need is greater by simply asking yourself which type of situation you most frequently encounter (tele or wide).

Even though the guide was written many years ago when the 50mm standard lens was the norm for film cameras, the advice is still relevant and useful today.
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
As much as I agree with many that the FA77mm or DA70mm would make an excellent choice (I have the FA77), I would actually recommend you hold back buying any more lenses for the moment.

Why? I always believe you should evaluate your existing gear and make a buying decision based on where the gaps and actual photographic needs are. Frankly looking at your signature, you already have 2 lenses that already cover the 70mm focal length. Buying a FA77 just adds another lens that adds to focal length duplication. Buying a 100mm macro may make more sense as it doubles up as a tele and you can also do close-ups.
That does make a lot of sense. At this point, I'm forced to do that since I don't have the money to buy either the 70, 77, or 100 right now.

The main purpose of getting a longer telephoto to begin with is so I can have a lightweight kit (M28/43Ltd./???) for the times where I don't want to drag along the 17-70/70-210 combination. As much as I love both lenses, they can get heavy carrying them around all day. The secondary purpose is to have a good kit for the K1000. At this point, I can use every lense in my kit with the K1000 except for the 17-70 and 18-55.

I took a look at the D-FA 100/2.8 samples on pbase.com and I like what it can do, so I'll definitely be keeping it in mind. I've been wanting a dedicated macro, anyhow and the DFA 100 seems to be the lightest in weight of all the ones I'm most interested in.

The lenses and their weights are as follows:
DFA 100/2.8--12.2 oz.
Tamron 90/2.8--14.3 oz.
Sigma 105/2.8--16.1 oz.
Sigma 70/2.8--18.5 oz. (this one's heavier than my Sigma 17-70!)

The 77 weighs 9.5 oz, which means that the DFA100 isn't that much heavier.

As I said before, since I don't have the money yet to buy any of them, then I'll have plenty of time to evaluate what I already have and think about it some more.

Creampuff--thanks for the reality check.
Heather
04-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Hey, NaClH2O, thanks for that link.

That was one of the best lens articles I've ever read, and one which makes us all proud that we're Pentaxians!

Mike
A couple of years ago I used to direct people to that same link whenever they needed convincing that Pentax makes great glass. However, that article was written back in 2002 ... before the release of the DA Limited lenses.

As great as the FA Limited lenses are, Pentax raised the bar with the DA Limited lenses.

Although I've yet to see a solid replacement for the FA 31 Limited, the DA 40 and the DA 70 are in my mind superior to the FA 43 and FA 77.

That doesn't mean the FA Limited stink ... because I'd still take the 43 or 77 over most other lenses in the same range. But the DA 40 and 70 deserve every bit as much praise as the FA 43 and 77.
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
That doesn't mean the FA Limited stink ... because I'd still take the 43 or 77 over most other lenses in the same range. But the DA 40 and 70 deserve every bit as much praise as the FA 43 and 77.
from lurking around the forums i think the FA's usually get more praise than the DA's. the DA21 is usually seen as slow and the DA40 is usually considered redundant although the DA70 usually gets the most praise.