Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disappointed

I really wanted to buy a Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX AF 11-16mm f2.8 II Lens but disappointed that they only make them for Canon and Nikon.
What am I gonna do now ?
I thought it would be the perfect lens on my K-5 for indoor and landscape shots.
My son uses the same lens on his Canon and it comes highly recommended for image quality and price.

Can someone please help me make up my mind on what to buy ?

10-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tokina and Pentax co-designed the 12-24, where Tokina puts on the Canon and Nikon mounts, and Pentax puts on their K mount (along with their coatings and focus clutch). That would be the closest option. The main difference other than the wider focal length range is it's a tad slower at f4. If I remember correctly, Tokina has said that the 12-24 served as the design foundation for the 11-16.

The 11-17 came out just as I was getting ready to buy the 12-24. I was wondering if I should wait and see if Pentax was going to offer it too. Essentially, I felt I did not need the faster aperture and the wider focal length range would serve me better. It was a good thing - since if I waited, I would still be waiting....

10-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you really need 2.8 for indoor shots or landscape? the DA12-24 f4 has served me well and with SR handheld even in low light, I can do fine as long as I'm not too stingy with ISO. 1/4th is doable at 12mm... for indoor social stuff, I find this lens is way too wide, so I'm sure I'd have a hard time w/ the 11-16. Range wise, I prefer the 12-24 as sometimes 24 can be useable. I also have the Sigma 8-16 and that's a great lens too, though for indoor shots, perspective distortion is a bit much at 8mm. I did use this lens extensively on my Chicago trip where it came in handy a few times. I've also heard good things about the Sigma 10-20 so there are alternatives....

Good luck
10-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I really wanted to buy a Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX AF 11-16mm f2.8 II Lens but disappointed that they only make them for Canon and Nikon.
What am I gonna do now ?
I thought it would be the perfect lens on my K-5 for indoor and landscape shots.
My son uses the same lens on his Canon and it comes highly recommended for image quality and price.

Can someone please help me make up my mind on what to buy ?

A fast ultra-wide zoom is certainly missing from Pentax's current lineup. It would make for a great DA* lens.

You might want to consider the bower 14mm F2.8 if you really need the extra stop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

The Sigma 8-16 is highly regarded, as well...and it's available with a Pentax mount.
10-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

I've just ordered the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. I used to have the Tokina ATX Pro 124 in a Nikon mount, and it was a very nice lens, so the Pentax 12-24 should be fine too. I'm looking forward to trying my new Sigma!

10-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #7

The Sigma 18-35 F1.8 isn't quite as wide, but it's fast. Digital Rev gives it a nice review. The sigma site says it will one day be available for Pentax mount.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-art

Last edited by npridgeon; 10-27-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added the sigma link
10-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
I've just ordered the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC. I used to have the Tokina ATX Pro 124 in a Nikon mount, and it was a very nice lens, so the Pentax 12-24 should be fine too. I'm looking forward to trying my new Sigma!

I've had the Sigma 10-20/3.5 for quite a while now, and consider it to be an excellent lens. It is, of course, nominally about 2/3rds of a stop slower wide open than the Tokina, but it's also wider and longer at the respective ends of the zoom range.
10-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A fast ultra-wide zoom is certainly missing from Pentax's current lineup. It would make for a great DA* lens.

You might want to consider the bower 14mm F2.8 if you really need the extra stop.
That's a very interesting proposition Adam.
Have you by any chance tried this or any other Bower lens' yourself ? I'm definitely after a sharp lens. Also I read on one ebay page that it's a rectilinear lens. Can you confirm that ?

P.S. I can't find the Bower 14mm F2.8 here in Australia. Does B&H give any discounts for PF members ?

Last edited by chromo; 10-27-2013 at 05:47 AM.
10-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Bower 14/2.8 also is sold under various brand names like Samyang, Vivitar, Rokinon, & others. This lens is also on my want-list!
10-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Also I read on one ebay page that it's a rectilinear lens. Can you confirm that?
With 5% barrel distortion on APS-C,
it's really stretching the definition of "rectilinear".
However, you can "de-fish" it in PP.
10-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Again, Not as fast but what about the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom Lens AFB001P-700 B&H
10-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Yeah from what I've heard it's a pretty good lens so I can't rule it out just yet.
I should have mentioned in the first post that I will also be using whatever I buy for the night sky and I like doing light painting.

This business of buying a new lens is a nightmare...It's worse than a lolly shop.
10-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

What am I gonna do now ?
Here's another very satisfied Sigma 10-20/3.5 EX user.

It is 0.6 stops slower than the f/2.8 lens you were after, but you typically stop down a wide angle lens to f/8 or similar anyhow.

Extreme wide-angle lenses are typically not know for their beautiful bokeh and also struggle to get good corners, so stopping down is very much a standard procedure with an extreme wide-angle.

Indoors you'll probably open it up some more, but I think on the whole the situations where you really need a fast wide angle lens are rare.

When I did my research, the Sigma 10-20/3.5 was easily the better lens compared to the Pentax 12-24/4 for me.
10-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The Bower, which is really a Samyang is manual-focus only, so that's a big difference (and much too long of a focus throw for an ultra-wide, methinks). It is sold also as Rokinon and Vivitar (marked 13mm instead of 14mm), and at least one other name that escapes me. Just search for "14mm 2.8 pentax" and you'll find it. (And 13mm will show up the Vivitar version if available).

It does have a lot of distortion, but if you use Lightroom there are profiles available to fix it (I think there is a profile for it that is marked Nikon -- does a pretty good job, might have been a user-supplied profile, can't remember). Other programs might have similar features to fix the distortion.

AND many people have gotten decentered copies and had to try again to get a better one.

Other than that, it is a fine lens!