Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Protection Filters

Hi, please bear with me, but there seems to be a lot of stuff on lens filters out there.

Even in this forum.

So here's my simple question. I've just order a K3, my first venture into Digital SLR, since I used the great Canon AE1 years ago (since then, it's be a succession of one digital point and shot usually an all in one 20x zoom "slr" bridge digital camera). But now that I'll be making more serious investments in camera lens, a lot of what I do will be geared (at least initially) towards high school sports. There's always something flying around, so I really feel uncomfortable with "naked" lens (a hood is only a partial solution I think).

So from what I have read, the need for UV protection has gone the way side of film.

So what kinds of recommendations should I consider. I'm thinking I just want a good clear lens filter for protection. I gather if it has got a good muti-coating that flare shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually close to cheer leaders and band "drum corps" so there's a lot of activity. And moisture can be a problem (sometime misty/slight rainy/high humidity at the beginning of fall, etc). But on the track, dust gets kicked up as well. Lighting is tricky, so I am hoping for something that can shed that gritty film that tends to build up.

Nothing really dramatic, but cleaning a lens that's dirty can sometimes mean over time almost cleaning with some grit causing some hazing over time. I'd rather sacrifice the filter then the end of the lens.

Any one have some good suggestions as to what to look for? Low light is a consideration, so I'd rather have a minimal an impact on light transmission as possible (although I'm will to sacrifice some to get protection).

Also, what considerations would there be for polorizers - what does and doesn't work with the newer digital cameras?

Am I just better off to call a camera store and talk to someone for recommendations (although I've read enough out here to know forum members aren't shy! ).

Thanks.

10-27-2013, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

There are not going to be any new answers.
10-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If you're worried, get a good quality UV filter. For sports I don't think I'd use a polariser as you'll lose a stop of light, and for fast action that will hinder you (plus polarizers are a lot more expensive than UV filters). Personally I don't use filters just for protection as I don't want anything in front of the lens that could degrade IQ, but I think I may be in the minority.
10-27-2013, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #4

I shoot a lot of sports and never use a filter. A lens hood is always used and I have never had any issues. Personally IQ is my primary consideration and I don't think a filter would prevent damage to a lens when pucks or basketballs are involved.

It depends on your preference, personally I consider a protective filter a waste of money.

10-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, I'd skip the protector and use the hood. Put the money you saved toward a better quality CPL. That's one item where you pretty much get what you pay for. Good advice above about being careful when to use the CPL. Be sure you can afford the light loss. Only time you really need a protector is on a beach or in a sandstorm (or have some kind of objects flying at you, in which case, turn around and run!)
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax had meant the lens to have a protective filter, they would have installed one at the factory.
Seriously, unless you're a magnet for flying things, better not to sacrifice image quality.
A circular polarizer could come in handy sometimes, and you certainly will have the capability to crank the ISO without worry, but I wouldn't bother with anything else.
10-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Id skip filters, and spend the money on extended warranties.........
10-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yep, I'd skip the protector and use the hood. Put the money you saved toward a better quality CPL. That's one item where you pretty much get what you pay for. Good advice above about being careful when to use the CPL. Be sure you can afford the light loss. Only time you really need a protector is on a beach or in a sandstorm (or have some kind of objects flying at you, in which case, turn around and run!)
ditto
CPL filters sometimes live on my lenses. Quality though costs. Never use UV or "lens protector"
cheers
bb2

10-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Use a protection filter if it makes you feel safer, but all filters degrade the image to some degree. Sometimes it is noticeable sometimes not. But possibly the worst conditions in which to use a filter is sports arenas. The filters often pick up ghosts from the lights.
I never use filters for protection but always use a hood.
10-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There are not going to be any new answers.
Whatever, I've been working on some things in my laboratory and I might have found the cure.
10-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
If you're worried, get a good quality UV filter. For sports I don't think I'd use a polariser as you'll lose a stop of light, and for fast action that will hinder you (plus polarizers are a lot more expensive than UV filters). Personally I don't use filters just for protection as I don't want anything in front of the lens that could degrade IQ, but I think I may be in the minority.
QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
I shoot a lot of sports and never use a filter. A lens hood is always used and I have never had any issues. Personally IQ is my primary consideration and I don't think a filter would prevent damage to a lens when pucks or basketballs are involved.

It depends on your preference, personally I consider a protective filter a waste of money.
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yes to all of you. I used to use protective filters, then realised that over decades they had not been useful. So I've stopped using them, because I want maximum image quality.

But I didn't throw them away. I carry one of each size in my car so that if I predict I will have problems (children, blown sand, etc) I can take precautions.

(And I have CPLs that I can use on all lenses, because they do things I can't replace with Photoshop. I don't use them for action, but a friend has used them for motor sports to control reflections).
10-28-2013, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #12

I have always (20 years) used uv or protection filter in all my lenses. Few years ago i did take of filters from most used lenses for less than year or so. All i did get was many permanent marks in front glasses, some of those marks will reduce IQ. I regret i did try without protection filters.

If i would be pro i would not care too much, i would by new lens to replace bad one...but i am not so i can not afford to spoil my lenses. I am still using lenses i did buy 20 years ago, they are in mint condition.
10-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
I have always (20 years) used uv or protection filter in all my lenses. Few years ago i did take of filters from most used lenses for less than year or so. All i did get was many permanent marks in front glasses, some of those marks will reduce IQ. I regret i did try without protection filters.

If i would be pro i would not care too much, i would by new lens to replace bad one...but i am not so i can not afford to spoil my lenses. I am still using lenses i did buy 20 years ago, they are in mint condition.
How did you get marks that actually even show in the image?
10-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #14

tiny small lens hood not protect enough.

Also cleaning is more easy and safe for lens if use use filter as protection. Just clean filter when its dirty, can even take dirty filter off and wash with mild dishwashing soup and water.
10-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #15

I keep a cheap UV filer on most of my lenses at all times. If I'm somewhere where I think the protection is warranted, I leave it on when I take of the lens cover. When I want to take a shot where I'm in control of the situation I unscrew the filter with the cover attached. Twice I've been knocked into while in busy urban centers and had my camera hit the pavement lens-first and both times the cheap filter took the brunt of the impact, distorting the rim and shattering the glass, but leaving my lens unscathed.