Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 50-135mm SDM problems and repair.

Some time ago I bought a Pentax DA* 50-135mm lens through Ebay. The seller advertised it as being perfect optically and cosmetically but with a slow, hesitant and erratic autofocus.

Naturally I was able to get it at a very good price, and have used it as a manual focus lens..

Recently I had some funds spare so sent the lens off to Pentax UK's servicing people who got the lens back to me well packed in about ten days, having fitted a new SDM Motor and PCB (Printed Circuit Board?).

I now have a 50-135mm that looks and functions like a new one.
Pentax charged £180 which includes postage, packing and VAT.

I think £180 was a fair price for this repair on what is a £900 lens new, service was quick, and it may be a help to anyone with a similar issue worried about the cost.

Graham.

12-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Some time ago I bought a Pentax DA* 50-135mm lens through Ebay. The seller advertised it as being perfect optically and cosmetically but with a slow, hesitant and erratic autofocus.

Naturally I was able to get it at a very good price, and have used it as a manual focus lens..

Recently I had some funds spare so sent the lens off to Pentax UK's servicing people who got the lens back to me well packed in about ten days, having fitted a new SDM Motor and PCB (Printed Circuit Board?).

I now have a 50-135mm that looks and functions like a new one.
Pentax charged £180 which includes postage, packing and VAT.

I think £180 was a fair price for this repair on what is a £900 lens new, service was quick, and it may be a help to anyone with a similar issue worried about the cost.

Graham.

How is the repaired SDM working now (only 2 months later)? I've been waiting for a dependable repair to get mine done.
12-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Still spot on, and it SEEMS to focus better and faster with my Pentax K-3, though I have not done any formal tests.
12-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Still spot on, and it SEEMS to focus better and faster with my Pentax K-3, though I have not done any formal tests.
Maybe it's time. I've heard (read) other reports that there is a better replacement motor and PCB available that is being retrofitted to correct the failing SDM systems (it's about time!!). I've been wanting to upgrade my camera from my K10D working V1.2 still focusing by screw drive only, to a K5 (now maybe K5ii). I can't make the K3 make sense for me. Couldn't make any of it make sense if my DA*50-135 was going to become manual focus only.