Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Front cap for Bower 14mm lens

I have the Bower 14mm F2.8 lens (also sold under Rokinon & Samyang name). When I originally purchased the Bower lens it was to use until I could afford the Pentax 15mm lens, but I like it so much I think I can skip the Pentax lens if I can solve one problem. The Bower lens does not have any front threads and has the build in tulip style lens hood. There will be times when I would like to use a ND filter with the lens. I tried holding a square ND filter over the front of the lens, which works fine on other lens. But not with this Bower, it lets in light from the side of the tulip style lens hood.

What I thought might work is if I could find a replacement lens cap and cut out the center of the cap so it has a flat surface to hold a ND filter against. I have tried internet searches trying to find replacement front caps for this lens under the name of Bower, Rokinon & Samyang, but no luck.
The stock cap snaps in place and wraps around the front portion of the tulip style lens. Would anyone know of a source of replacement lens caps for this lens?

The only other thing I can think of to do is wrap the end of the hood with black tape to fill in the gap, but I would have to remove the tape each time to attach the cap.

10-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I heard Cokin is making filters that work with this lens? The seller at the store where I bought the 14mm told me that some time ago, not sure how accurate the info is
10-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk. I went to the Cokin web site and did not find anything for that application. I think it would have to be an adapter that would fit over the barrel of the lens. I am going to look for a short tube that will fit over the end of the lens and cover the gap caused from the tulip design. It would have to fit fairly snug to prevent any light from interring from the side. I really like this lens and want to make it work for when I shoot water falls.
10-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a 95mm metal hood for long telephotos, the one that is cylindrical (about 3'' long) and has 95mm threads in the front also. It slides nicely over the existing hood and you can attach any filters there. You will need to hold it though if you point the lens downwards to stay put.

10-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you demp 10, I just googled it and found several for less than $15.00 that look like will work.