Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Should I keep my 35mm 2.4?

I finally got my hands on the lovely 40mm xs lens for my K-01. It compliments the K-01 so nicely that I feel like it will stay permanently on my K-01. I was using the 35mm DA L 2.4 prior to this, but I feel like the 40mm xs will kind of take its place for the most part. I am just wondering if users of both lenses think its worth keeping the 35mm DA L. The lower aperture is nice, but I already have the FA 50mm 1.4 for lower light situations. I also have a Tamron 17-50mm, Tamron 70-200, and 18-135mm that I use primarily on my K5II. I know this decision is ultimately mine to make, but I love to hear peoples opinions on the matter.

10-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest waiting a month or two before thinking about shedding the DA 35/2.4.

There's usually a honeymoon period with a new lens,
until you become aware of its flaws and limitations.

(Disclosure: I do use the DA 40 XS, but don't have a DA 35/2.4.)
10-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Funny, I am in the opposite situation: I bought the K-01 with the DA40XS, just acquired a used DA35 because it's a bit wider and a bit faster, and am thinking of selling the 40XS. Both are nice lenses though...
10-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Funny, I am in the opposite situation: I bought the K-01 with the DA40XS, just acquired a used DA35 because it's a bit wider and a bit faster, and am thinking of selling the 40XS. Both are nice lenses though...
I own the DA 40. I dont own the DA 35 but had the FA 35. I still have the DA 40 since I like it so much. During the time I had both I use the 35 alot as the speed is useful, but this is not the case in the DA version.

My recommendation is to keep the DA 40.

(Not knocking the FA 35 though. If I can only keep one pentax lens for APSC that lens would be the one I'd keep, but luckily I have options.)

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-29-2013 at 07:44 AM.
10-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I also think the DA 40mm XS is slightly better than the DA 35mm, but keep the 35mm for now.
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
There's usually a honeymoon period with a new lens,
Very well said.
Also, I think the two lenses render very differently, so you might want to keep the 35mm for landscapes and such, the 40mm for portraits and architecture.. the DA 35mm in my opinion renders more green and the DA 40mm more purple. And the 5mm difference is a little wider, which can come in handy.
I still have my DA 35mm and DA 40mm XS
10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

I have both lenses and I intend to keep them both.
The 35mm is better in the long run for me since I can use a hood on it. But I do love how light and not to mention cool/weird my K-30 looks with the 40mm XS lens slapped on it.
Both have found a place in my camera bag so my suggestion to you is to keep both lenses for a month or so and then make the decision.
If you are not in the need of money I would keep both as they don't take up much space
10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Also, I think the two lenses render very differently, so you might want to keep the 35mm for landscapes and such, the 40mm for portraits and architecture.. the DA 35mm in my opinion renders more green and the DA 40mm more purple.
I was curious about this statement, so I took my two K-01 bodies with identical FW and settings to the museum - one with the DA35 F/2.4 and the other with DA 40XS - and took a bunch of similar shots with both cameras. I was surprised that, at least indoors, both lenses do indeed render very differently. [EDIT: yeah, the settings were diffewent on the two cams, as it turns out. See below.] The DA35 was much warmer, with a lot more yellow, whereas the 40XS was much cooler with a lot of blue (very clinical). Reds were similar, as were greens, as far as I can tell, though there wasn't much green in the shots I took. The 40XS also occasionally exhibited some (bad-ish) purple fringing. Pixel peeping, it seems to me that the 40XS is a bit more sharp @2.8 than the DA35 @2.4, but with both lenses @2.8, it's a draw as far as I can tell from these shots.

Here's an example [EDIT: sample deleted because of settings difference. See post below.]

One odd thing is that I could not reproduce this color difference outdoors in natural light. When I returned home and saw the shots, I took the cameras outside and shot some brick walls (ours and the neighbor's) and they came out (practically) the same with both lenses, regardless of whether I took the shot with the two bodies or used the same body and swapped lenses.

It's still possible this result comes from a variance between the bodies themselves (ie either the sensor or (unlikely) I missed something in the settings). I intend to return with the lenses on opposite bodies to test this. I might also manually set WB to Tungsten on both bodies instead of leaving it on auto...

BTW, these were shot as JPG, with AWB, Natural color profile and +1 to saturation, contrast and sharpness in the profile settings. Those are my usual settings.

PS: This is not a scientific test, YMMV, batteries not included.

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-30-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: use "whether", delete sample
10-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
sTi
Forum Member

I doubt that the color rendering is that different, to me it looks simply like different WB settings. Set a fixed WB and do some more shots, then you will have a more meaningful comparison.

10-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
I doubt that the color rendering is that different, to me it looks simply like different WB settings.
Argh. I just methodically went through all the settings and discovered the custom setting "AWB in Tungsten Light". It was set to "Subtle Correction" on the DA35 body, and "Strong Correction" on the 40XS body. I've never touched this setting and didn't even know it exists, but I bought one of the bodies used, so I guess the previous owner had tweaked it.

Sorry for posting a completely irrelevant, totally flawed test. Argh.
10-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hah, it happens. Well I certainly havent done any rigorous testing, its more of a feeling. 40mm XS for cities, concrete, stone, mountains, portraits, vibrant flowers.. 35mm for forests, landscapes, rivers, items.. thats how I like it, but maybe its just my interpretation, my imagination.
And yes, the 40mm XS is a little sharper, and does have some more purple fringing wide open. The 35mm has some axial chromatic aberration wide open. The 35mm also has one advantage - hood and filter threads are a much more common size than the 40mm XS.

Edit: Oh, and I often have WB set as CTE. This may also be a factor.