Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
filter question

I am utterly clueless on filters I think....so I wanted to ping the forum.

I am going to get new filters to fit my sigma 10-20, and also the adapter so any 77mm filters can be used on my 67mm lenses. I wanted/need a CPL, since the ones I do have are 52mm and 67mm sizes.

My other purchases, I feel I want/need an ND filter or two. But I still can't decide what amount of light is a wise first ND purchase, and I don't know if I should get just a plain ND, split/graduated, etc.

Basically, I am thinking of it for things like the long exposure shots in daylight, for things like flowing water, or to further blur/eliminate moving people from a shot.

I don't want to buy 8 different filters if I can help it. If I can get the polarizer and 1-2 ND types to start, I am thinking I'll be doing OK.

Thanks

03-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great timing. I just ordered some Cokin P series filters from my local camera shop. I did a lot of research and decided that Cokin had the best of both worlds for price and flexibility. Like you, I have the 10-20, and I will admit that the P series cuts part of the picture off on the sides at the wide end, but for travel they are a little more compact. You'll need the Z-Pro series which are larger than the 84MM filters to minimize this problem. I have on order (backordered till May) the H250 set of 3 graduated neutral density filters, and picked up the CPL (it's round, not square like the others). Using inexpensive adapter rings I can use the setup on all my old 49mm primes as well as the 10-20 and 17-70. Should get me by. The whole setup was less than $150, or basically the price of a single circular thread in type. There are naturally 2 schools of thought, but I being in the 'advanced amature' group, keeping cost down is somewhat important. If you must use your lens hoods, then Cokin isn't for you. They definitely are worth investigating, especially the ability to combine say a 4 stop grad filter for the sky and a 2 stop for beach. Very flexible.

Last edited by rormeister; 03-31-2008 at 03:05 PM.
03-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Most polarizers block two stops of light. No need for both a polarizer and a ND2. Gradients are mostly for landscapes.
Focus on Singh-Ray Filters: <font size="-1">From the Archive:</font><BR> Graduated Neutral Density Filters <br>by Galen Rowell