Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
djc737's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South jersey outside of Philly
Posts: 281
Waiting for red ring 60-250....

In another thread, I read in utter despair that another member recently ordered a 60-250 from B&H and received the lens boxed still labeled Hoya and immediately had the SDM fail. I have avoided any and all SDM lenses simply because I do not want to deal with what he has gone through. I had planned to pick up the 60-250 for my arriving today K-3. I thought that the Hoya stock would have cleared out by now. Of what value is knowing that Pentax has off-handedly unofficially fixed the SDM problem if the biggest vendor still has shelves full of old unfixed lenses. So now, I will wait for the HD version since that will assuredly have the new SDM motor in it.

I had actually tried to cancel the K-3 delivery since reading the lens buyers delema. I want a body and lens combo for birding and believe it or not, where I live, sometimes the 300 is too tight for the shot I want. Not sure what to do now.

10-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
topace's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 197
You might have to wait a while. The reason why the 55-300 got the upgrade instead of a higher grade lens was probably that it had more reflection problems.

As for SDM failure, don't think it will ever go away entirely. Canikon and Sigma have these problems too, just not as often. The only way to be sure to get a good lens is to buy from a store with a good return policy. Luckily, the 60-250 seems to have considerably fewer failed lenses. Perhaps that means that the 60-250 was always at the baseline of SDM failure. I don't know.
10-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
Hope people not get upset on this but i have understand that canon lenses not really have problems with their ultrasound af motors.
10-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 577
Hi!

I wonder if any gold ring DA* lens will ever have a red ring...

Actually Canon DID have problems with their motors 10 years ago. Can't comment on present situation.

Seb

10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Member
topace's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 197
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Hope people not get upset on this but i have understand that canon lenses not really have problems with their ultrasound af motors.
I'm not upset, and their failure rate does seem lower than that of pentax, but if you claim Canon AF NEVER breaks, I'll simply not believe you.
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Member
djc737's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South jersey outside of Philly
Posts: 281
Original Poster
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
10-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
+1 on this! That is the simplest, lowest-cost remedy for Ricoh/Pentax at this point. 3 years would be nice...
10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I want a body and lens combo for birding and believe it or not, where I live, sometimes the 300 is too tight for the shot I want. Not sure what to do now.
I would recommend a Tamron 70-200 2.8 if you want screwdrive AF, or the very excellent Sigma 70-200 OS for silent AF.
I have the Sigma and find the IQ comparable to my DA*300.

10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I'm not upset, and their failure rate does seem lower than that of pentax, but if you claim Canon AF NEVER breaks, I'll simply not believe you.
Much lower i believe, ii personally have not even heard any of my canon user friend complane. But u know canon users, they normally want to pretend that everything Canon label on is perfect.

Ofcource canon lenses and af motors broke also...but canon ultrasound motor seems to be better. Maybe they do lie, i donno...but they do complain same as us that af focus is not always correct...actually they have been complaning this a lot to me. Anyway its difficult to personally compare cos newerowned any canon...
10-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,831
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
Two years in Canada, plus one year with my credit card.
10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 138
I just saw a canon lens motor die last week, so it can happen.
10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
tomwil's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 778
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
In another thread, I read in utter despair that another member recently ordered a 60-250 from B&H and received the lens boxed still labeled Hoya and immediately had the SDM fail. I have avoided any and all SDM lenses simply because I do not want to deal with what he has gone through. I had planned to pick up the 60-250 for my arriving today K-3. I thought that the Hoya stock would have cleared out by now. Of what value is knowing that Pentax has off-handedly unofficially fixed the SDM problem if the biggest vendor still has shelves full of old unfixed lenses. So now, I will wait for the HD version since that will assuredly have the new SDM motor in it.
The 60-250mm could possibly have its SDM disabled, relying on screw-drive focusing instead.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,453
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
+1 on this! That is the simplest, lowest-cost remedy for Ricoh/Pentax at this point. 3 years would be nice...
Been over this before. They can't offer current warranties on already manufactured and warehoused inventory. Better way is to offer an optional Warranty Extension for a cost as they do for camera bodies.

Warranties are not inexpensive. On the contrary they add significantly to the cost of the lens. If you think Pentax lenses are expensive now, add money for QC manufacturing process changes, component upgrades, random sample destructive testing and reserving on the Balance Sheet for estimated warranty losses.

The current way is the least costly way.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
10-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
Well.... too bad K-3 didn't have selectable SDM/Screw drive in the camera.... this simple feature will make many happy...
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,496
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
if Pentax actually had the cahones
Cojones would be better...


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hoya, k-3, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, sdm, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA* 60-250 owners: How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready? apisto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 03-13-2013 05:42 AM
TC for DA 60 - 250 kiteman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-07-2013 07:51 PM
Normal noise for 60-250? asgr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-03-2012 01:57 PM
DA*60-250 for $1199 shipped dgaies Pentax Price Watch 16 04-30-2012 12:05 AM
Should the zoom ring on my 60-250 be this tight kwar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 09-07-2011 05:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top