Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #1

Waiting for red ring 60-250....

In another thread, I read in utter despair that another member recently ordered a 60-250 from B&H and received the lens boxed still labeled Hoya and immediately had the SDM fail. I have avoided any and all SDM lenses simply because I do not want to deal with what he has gone through. I had planned to pick up the 60-250 for my arriving today K-3. I thought that the Hoya stock would have cleared out by now. Of what value is knowing that Pentax has off-handedly unofficially fixed the SDM problem if the biggest vendor still has shelves full of old unfixed lenses. So now, I will wait for the HD version since that will assuredly have the new SDM motor in it.

I had actually tried to cancel the K-3 delivery since reading the lens buyers delema. I want a body and lens combo for birding and believe it or not, where I live, sometimes the 300 is too tight for the shot I want. Not sure what to do now.

10-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2

You might have to wait a while. The reason why the 55-300 got the upgrade instead of a higher grade lens was probably that it had more reflection problems.

As for SDM failure, don't think it will ever go away entirely. Canikon and Sigma have these problems too, just not as often. The only way to be sure to get a good lens is to buy from a store with a good return policy. Luckily, the 60-250 seems to have considerably fewer failed lenses. Perhaps that means that the 60-250 was always at the baseline of SDM failure. I don't know.
10-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hope people not get upset on this but i have understand that canon lenses not really have problems with their ultrasound af motors.
10-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

I wonder if any gold ring DA* lens will ever have a red ring...

Actually Canon DID have problems with their motors 10 years ago. Can't comment on present situation.

Seb

10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Hope people not get upset on this but i have understand that canon lenses not really have problems with their ultrasound af motors.
I'm not upset, and their failure rate does seem lower than that of pentax, but if you claim Canon AF NEVER breaks, I'll simply not believe you.
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
10-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Also it would be more comforting when buying a SDM lens if Pentax actually had the cahones to warranty them for more than one year.
+1 on this! That is the simplest, lowest-cost remedy for Ricoh/Pentax at this point. 3 years would be nice...

10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want a body and lens combo for birding and believe it or not, where I live, sometimes the 300 is too tight for the shot I want. Not sure what to do now.
I would recommend a Tamron 70-200 2.8 if you want screwdrive AF, or the very excellent Sigma 70-200 OS for silent AF.
I have the Sigma and find the IQ comparable to my DA*300.
10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I'm not upset, and their failure rate does seem lower than that of pentax, but if you claim Canon AF NEVER breaks, I'll simply not believe you.
Much lower i believe, ii personally have not even heard any of my canon user friend complane. But u know canon users, they normally want to pretend that everything Canon label on is perfect.

Ofcource canon lenses and af motors broke also...but canon ultrasound motor seems to be better. Maybe they do lie, i donno...but they do complain same as us that af focus is not always correct...actually they have been complaning this a lot to me. Anyway its difficult to personally compare cos newerowned any canon...
10-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Two years in Canada, plus one year with my credit card.
10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #11

I just saw a canon lens motor die last week, so it can happen.
10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In another thread, I read in utter despair that another member recently ordered a 60-250 from B&H and received the lens boxed still labeled Hoya and immediately had the SDM fail. I have avoided any and all SDM lenses simply because I do not want to deal with what he has gone through. I had planned to pick up the 60-250 for my arriving today K-3. I thought that the Hoya stock would have cleared out by now. Of what value is knowing that Pentax has off-handedly unofficially fixed the SDM problem if the biggest vendor still has shelves full of old unfixed lenses. So now, I will wait for the HD version since that will assuredly have the new SDM motor in it.
The 60-250mm could possibly have its SDM disabled, relying on screw-drive focusing instead.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
+1 on this! That is the simplest, lowest-cost remedy for Ricoh/Pentax at this point. 3 years would be nice...
Been over this before. They can't offer current warranties on already manufactured and warehoused inventory. Better way is to offer an optional Warranty Extension for a cost as they do for camera bodies.

Warranties are not inexpensive. On the contrary they add significantly to the cost of the lens. If you think Pentax lenses are expensive now, add money for QC manufacturing process changes, component upgrades, random sample destructive testing and reserving on the Balance Sheet for estimated warranty losses.

The current way is the least costly way.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
10-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well.... too bad K-3 didn't have selectable SDM/Screw drive in the camera.... this simple feature will make many happy...
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

if Pentax actually had the cahones
Cojones would be better...

Steve