Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Inherited an old lens... can i use?

So we purchased a house a couple of years ago that had an odd looking type leather canister. Pretty heavy, didn't think it would be a lens, but upon opening it, there was an older big lens inside.
Besides being dusty, it seems to be in excellent shape.

It reads Takumar Asahi Opt 1 4.5 / 500 and not sure it ifs a model or serial 1618859

I can't find much info on it though. I do have a Pentax K-x with 2 lens, but other than that I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to these things. I am not sure if it will even work, or if I would even use something so big and heavy. Nor do I know if something like this is old useless technology or some diamond in the rough.

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

10-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is this it?

Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 500mm F4.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Note that there are 2 versions - Super-Multi-Coated, and, well, not SMC. Yes, you can use it with the appropriate adapter, but at over 7 lbs you may want to hire an armor-bearer.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-30-2013 at 09:10 AM.
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 500mm F4.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Note that there are 2 versions - Super-Multi-Coated, and, well, not SMC. Yes, you can use it with the appropriate adapter.
Well it does not say Super-Multi-Coated on it, nor do I know what that really mean in terms of quality....

as for adapter, can you let me know what that would be?

Thanks
10-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens can be used on your k-x with a adapter. Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
It will be full manual and require stop down metering, and manual focusing. And the use of a good tripod

If you find it is not for you do consider selling it here on the market place. Even today that lens will bring a good price.

10-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has supposedly discontinued the genuine adapter but they seem to trickle in from time to time to various US stores.
There are 3rd party adapters available.

This is what it looks like. (Note that they are out of stock)
10-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Endosmok Quote
Well it does not say Super-Multi-Coated on it, nor do I know what that really mean in terms of quality....
SMC or S-M-C, or Super-Multi-Coated is the name of the lens coatings used. Back when that lens was made coatings were new and the tech changing rapidly. It was also a marketing advantage as to who had the newest, bestest coating.

Having S-M-C on a Takumar is better than not as you get less ghosting, glare and reflections. Still, either version is quite usable.

Takumar's, by the way, are still considered some of the best lenses ever made. They are certainly showing their age now days, with antiquated coatings and optical designs not optimized for digital but they still work quite well. Amazing, since many of them are approaching 50 years old.
10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Pentax has supposedly discontinued the genuine adapter but they seem to trickle in from time to time to various US stores.
There are 3rd party adapters available.

This is what it looks like. (Note that they are out of stock)
There is a pretty good chance of finding one here on the forum
10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked the Marketplace, but didn't see one. Maybe I missed something.

10-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Do a quick search for M42 adapter, if not put an ad in the "wanted" section.
Also check ebay, Amazon etc. I'm sure Fotodiox and others make adapters too.

I have a Vivitar 500mm brute, and if you're really careful and make sure the hood shades the front element you can get some great images. Do be aware, though, the minimum fosus distance is pretty far. At least mine is.
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's an useful lens with some value to it so it's a nice thing to inherite!
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's an useful lens with some value to it so it's a nice thing to inherite!
Agree--I had one once (the SMC version. I think) You'll need solid support and have to deal with color fringing in PP but it'll give you some good shots--once you get the hang of it (be patient.)
10-30-2013, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
dms
Site Supporter

strongly suggest you use the Pentax adapter. B&H carries them (currently in stock) see: Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

One of the contributors to these forums swears by this third-party adaptor (so it shouldn't get stuck on your camera):

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K

I notice it's a bit more expensive than when I last looked. I believe they will ship to the US.