Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Destroying" is a little harsch. Extra choice is alway swelcome. Or will the SMC line of DA ltds be discontinued? That would indeed be a crying shame. It seems like Pentax isn't even aware why their customers like their products.

Luckily, my SMC LTD is built like a little tank, and will not fail anytime soon. (Knocks on wood.)

Last edited by Clavius; 10-31-2013 at 02:25 AM.
10-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Or will the SMC line of DA ltds be discontinued? That would indeed be a crying shame.
The SMC DA limiteds *have* been discontinued....
10-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The SMC DA limiteds *have* been discontinued....
Well, in case of the SMC DA 15 ltd, that doesn't make sense. Oh well, I guess Pentax is doing so extremely well that they can afford it to completely nerf one of their strong points.
10-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #34
Pentaxian

It would be a shame if they have "nerfed" the best thing about the best lens in the world. There is some hope still - not all light sources are equal for good star bursts. Fingers crossed these pictures aren't indicative of what it can do.

10-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It would be a shame if they have "nerfed" the best thing about the best lens in the world. There is some hope still - not all light sources are equal for good star bursts. Fingers crossed these pictures aren't indicative of what it can do.
I agree with you. However, the SMC DA 15 version did produce excellent star bursts. I currently don't own the lens and seriously thinking of ordering one. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger since I don't do alot of night time photography but I see a value in a sharp day time DA 15.

I think we need more samples and from more users.
Adam is going to have all 10 DA Limited in a few weeks, so I'm hoping he's going to be able to post some additional pictures.
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I agree with you. However, the SMC DA 15 version did produce excellent star bursts. I currently don't own the lens and seriously thinking of ordering one. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger since I don't do alot of night time photography but I see a value in a sharp day time DA 15.

I think we need more samples and from more users.
Adam is going to have all 10 DA Limited in a few weeks, so I'm hoping he's going to be able to post some additional pictures.
I'd post some but I've maxed out my upload limited. I'll upload saome tonight on some webspace I have for people to see.
10-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Doesn't have to be night. Those star-bursts can be just as impressive (actually, more so, I think) when they're sun-bursts.

10-31-2013, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #38

Original Poster
For those who really want to pixelpeep: DNG-Data of smc vs hd daylight shots from f4.0 to f11.0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9l1zlr90ieyl6l/yGq3Bg2vmC

But keep in mind it's only one copy each so maybe one is good and the other one bad
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mooeep Quote
For those who really want to pixelpeep: DNG-Data of smc vs hd daylight shots from f4.0 to f11.0

But keep in mind it's only one copy each so maybe one is good and the other one bad
Thank you for sharing the images. Of course I'll be consumed with pixel peeping and forget to order either lens. You're going to save me money.
10-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Great share, now I am happier user with the SMC DA15.
Forget about the silver HD DA15
10-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Considering the escalating incidence of centering defects with lenses with increasingly short focal lengths* I would be cautious when making statements like this. I would be only confident making such a call when I was confident that both lenses were within tolerances set by the manufacturer. E.G The HD lens could be de-centered giving an advantage to the right side, while the non-HD lens could be spot on.
While this isn't a scientific test, the results are what many users are looking for, as evidenced by responses here. I agree with you though about needing a more comprehensive comparison to see other aspects of the lenses in question.

As far as decentering goes, I highly doubt there is a problem with the HD lens used here. Even with a small Web-sized image, it's not difficult to see the crane is sharp from left to right. I merely pointed out the right side because it's easy to see it's not sharp in the SMC example. Maybe the SMC lens is decentered, but also doubt that too because I think both of us agree the characteristics exhibited by the SMC DA 15 are shown here, i.e., edge softness.
11-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Maybe the SMC lens is decentered
Or perhaps the photographer using it failed to take into account the strong field curvature of the DA15mm f/4 lens - there are far too many variables in the test images top draw any definitive answers. As to which lens is "better" - personally I have a preference for the classic SMC-DA15mm f/4 due to the aesthetically pleasing star effect.
11-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mooeep Quote
Ok, many thanks for the DNG uploads. I can't see any difference as far as sharpness goes between the two. Even the file sizes (usually a good indication of the level of detail present) are about the same. The HD magenta cast is still there though.

While you still have both, any chance of taking some bokeh shots ? This is the only still unexplored possible advantage the HD version might have. Otherwise it is all hype and just more profits for Ricoh since the HD coating is cheaper to make.
11-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #44

Original Poster
Sorry, I just returned the HD version.

Now I'm a proud owner of the 15 smc

(Although I would give a slight advantage in sharpness to the HD version)

Ah and added a rar-archive so it's a bit more comfortable to download the DNGs.

Before you blame Ricoh and burn their headquarters down you should definitely keep in mind that these are just a few snapshots like some above already mentioned. I tried to have similar conditions but I'm in no way a professional. (The daylight shots are handheld for example...)
Since this is how I'll probably be using this lens it's ok for me but maybe a more experienced photographer might get different results

Last edited by mooeep; 11-01-2013 at 03:06 AM.
11-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

You know I'm sure at one point someone can operate the HD DA lim and replace the blades with the SMC Version.

Perhaps we can buy just the blades, then send it off to eric for replacement? Then we can get sharpness, silver, and starburst all in the same lens