Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #1

Lens for K200D

Hi folks, new to the forum. I've been using my ME Super Program since the early 80's and the thing has not let me down yet. From the little I've been reading here I see my SMC Pentax A lens will work OK with the new digital K200D. But would I have full auto mode with it? I have the 50mm that came with the camera, a 35-105 Zoom, a 200mm fixed and a 300mm fixed that's just K no SMC-A (no auto mode). Before I purchase the K200D, I'd like to know if it's going to have a decent degree of functionality with the older lens. Thanks in advance, have to do more reading here for sure!

04-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Claude M. Quote
Hi folks, new to the forum. I've been using my ME Super Program since the early 80's and the thing has not let me down yet. From the little I've been reading here I see my SMC Pentax A lens will work OK with the new digital K200D. But would I have full auto mode with it? I have the 50mm that came with the camera, a 35-105 Zoom, a 200mm fixed and a 300mm fixed that's just K no SMC-A (no auto mode). Before I purchase the K200D, I'd like to know if it's going to have a decent degree of functionality with the older lens. Thanks in advance, have to do more reading here for sure!
Your A lenses will work fine in all metering modes, although you when you mount them you will be prompted to enter the focal length for the shake-reduction system. This makes using zooms somewhat less convenient. Your K & M lenses will have to be used in manual metering mode, and you can meter using the green button near the shutter release. Just remember to go into the Custom Function menu and set it to allow the use of lenses witout the 'A' setting. I use A & M lenses all the time - it's a lot easier in practice than it sounds here.
04-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will second Gary's comments. Go into the Custom menu and set [Using Aperture Ring] to [Permitted]. This allows you to use lenses with an aperture ring that do not have the A setting on them. Pentax has made some spectacularly good lenses over the years. I am very, very happy that I can use my 30 year old lenses with it.