Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Trimex

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hope this is the right place, but does anybody know anything about Trimex, specifically a 135mm f/2.8 M42? Is it an Asahi brand? Is it any good? I'm not well up on older Pentax lenses but having bought two for a combined price inc. p&p of under £20 I'm getting quite interested in them. Thanks.

10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is likely a store branded lens made by one of the many third party lens manufacturers of the time.

Is it like this one?
New Trimex 135mm F 2 8 M42 Screw Mount MF Lens Pentax Praktica etc Telephoto | eBay

I've seen that one sold under many brand names (Hanimar is a popular one), but have never personally had one. I'm not sure who actually made it.
10-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry I should have added a link to begin with - this is the one RARE TRIMEX 1:2.8 135mm TELEPHOTO LENS WITH M42 SCREW MOUNT. | eBay
10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like the minimum focus distance is fairly large on that, 2m instead of the typical 1.5. That would limit its indoor use somewhat. And the price is high. I might look for a Pentax-A 135/2.8 if I were inclined to pay that much, for the extra functions. The Pentax-M 135/3.5 is pretty cheap these days and excellent, no adapter needed. Maybe a Vivitar/Komine 135/2.8 if you can find one in the UK?

10-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Dave you must be looking at the wrong lens, it's £7.50 plus shipping!
10-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Taking A Chance?

Hello Darley,
There's nothing wrong with taking a chance with off-brand lenses, occasionally you'll find an inexpensive gem.
With the 'Trimex', you're looking at an OFF-off-brand, likely a rebadged budget 3rd-party job like many in the 1960's and early '70's. Large camera stores would offer a brand-name camera body with (usually) the cheapest 50mm and two off-brand 'extras' like a 28mm and the 135, a favorite short tele in the film era.
While none of these lenses were particularly bad, neither were they very good. A handful have some special bokeh rendering or other feature that made them become cult favorites, most faded into well-deserved obscurity.
The fact that there's very little information available for the Trimex should tell you which category it falls into.
You may find it fun to try these oddities for awhile, but eventually they all end up collecting dust in a box somewhere. No real use and no resale value.
As mentioned earlier, the Pentax M 135mm f/3.5 is only slightly more expensive and a great value. Beautiful rendering, sharp and compact. No adapter needed, fine 'M' series focusing, built-in hood.
That would be my suggestion for a manual short tele.
Ron
11-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't Click or you'll be sorry!

QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
Hope this is the right place, but does anybody know anything about Trimex, specifically a 135mm f/2.8 M42? Is it an Asahi brand? Is it any good? I'm not well up on older Pentax lenses but having bought two for a combined price inc. p&p of under £20 I'm getting quite interested in them. Thanks.
Whew, I typed the wrong thing into Google looking for the lens you mentioned:

Trimix Injections Seattle - Innovative Men's Clinic

Last edited by jkobleur; 11-08-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add title