Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Filters for the DA (and FA) Limited Lenses?

I do wish to use a clear or UV filter on my DA Limited lenses, but do not want any vignetting when the hood is extended. I know many prefer not to use a filter but for the most part I do prefer it, though the hood does provide significant protection, which is the main reason for the filter for me. I intend to continue using the built in hoods.

Do I insert the filter "proximal" to the hood?

Any vignetting as a result?

I have all of the DA limited lenses (15, 21, 35, 40 and 70 mm) and have the 31 mm FA Limited lens.

Any input, feedback or suggestions welcome.

10-31-2013, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haziz Quote
I do wish to use a clear or UV filter on my DA Limited lenses, but do not want any vignetting when the hood is extended. I know many prefer not to use a filter but for the most part I do prefer it, though the hood does provide significant protection, which is the main reason for the filter for me. I intend to continue using the built in hoods.

Do I insert the filter "proximal" to the hood?

Any vignetting as a result?

I have all of the DA limited lenses (15, 21, 35, 40 and 70 mm) and have the 31 mm FA Limited lens.

Any input, feedback or suggestions welcome.
i have the fa31,77 and da15 and they all have filters...i have never had any issues but i also buy top of the line...i know they are not necessary but i want to make sure the lens is safe and i can't put a crappy filter on a nice lens...in all case i have never had any issues with the hood and filter...with the fa31 the filter makes it stick out further into the hood area but still haven't had any issues..just screw it on like there wasn't a hood and it fits fine for these lens
10-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
15 and 35 limiteds with standard thickness hoya HMC filter here. Also use ND9 and CP without issue. The slide out hoods still work fine and aren't obstructed. Don't know what you would do about the 21 limited's 'hijab' hood. Maybe it doesn't need a filter because it's already got pretty good protection with the hood on.

Great thing with the DA limiteds is that having the 49mm filter on all of them means the expensive ND9 and CP only need to be bought once, and are a heck of lot cheaper than 77mm filters needed for a set of 2.8 zooms.
10-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use standard filter on ALL DA-limited and FA-limited.
No need to go for slim ones.